Zimmerman to sue the fuck out of NBC

Started by Nonsensei, July 15, 2013, 06:41:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WitchSabrina

Today our media is all about sensationalism because it's Only about ratings.  And it's ALL about ratings because it's only about money.  Pure and simple.......   Integrity and news reporting stopped holding hands during my lifetime.  I watched it happen.

Your ratings in news - whether it is newsprint, internet or television will either land you the TIDE account or they won't.
Period.
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

hillbillyatheist

its all the more reason I'm for stuff like PBS. They have good music shows and news.

I was just thinking today about it and in my perfect world shows like Nancy Grace would be banned.

We all agree that certain things like screaming fire in a theatre are bad and cross the line.

I think the media giving details of a private citizens trial is one of those harmful things.

what if one day you're in the wrong place at the wrong time and get accused of raping some kid and killing him. then Nancy Grace and other scumbags spend the evenings convincing half the country you are  raging pedophile.
then you have your day in court and they clear you of all charges.

now half the country thinks you're a raging pedophile who killed and raped a kid and got away with it.
which means your whole life is ruined.

I'm sorry but free speech has its limits and this is the line for me.

Unless and until a person has been adjudged to be guilty, then their name and face should be censored from the public, just as we do with rape victims today.

That way if they turn out to be innocent and are cleared of all charges, they don't suffer anyway for the rest of their lives, hiding from vigilantes.
like my posts and thoughts? then check out my new blog. you can subscribe via email too, so that when its updated, you\'ll get an email, letting you know.

just click here

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "hillbillyatheist"its all the more reason I'm for stuff like PBS. They have good music shows and news.

I was just thinking today about it and in my perfect world shows like Nancy Grace would be banned.

We all agree that certain things like screaming fire in a theatre are bad and cross the line.

I think the media giving details of a private citizens trial is one of those harmful things.

what if one day you're in the wrong place at the wrong time and get accused of raping some kid and killing him. then Nancy Grace and other scumbags spend the evenings convincing half the country you are  raging pedophile.

now half the country thinks you're a raging pedophile who killed and raped a kid and got away with it.

Unless and until a person has been adjudged to be guilty, then their name and face should be censored from the public, just as we do with rape victims today.

That way if they turn out to be innocent and are cleared of all charges, they don't suffer anyway for the rest of their lives, hiding from vigilantes.

I make a yearly donation to help fund PBS.   And have done so since 1980.

Titania

Quote from: "WitchSabrina"Integrity and news reporting stopped holding hands during my lifetime.
Lemme fix that for ya: Integrity and news reporting stopped holding hands during the lifetime of the Cro-Magnon.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows." - Winston Smith, 1984

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "Titania"
Quote from: "WitchSabrina"Integrity and news reporting stopped holding hands during my lifetime.
Lemme fix that for ya: Integrity and news reporting stopped holding hands during the lifetime of the Cro-Magnon.

And which TV station did they have?

*groan*

:rollin:

No........  back long ago and far away  your average TV news was something you could trust.  And the newspapers? Ahh - there used to be editorials (opinion based of course) that studied the opposite view and THEN gave commentary. Not just half-cocked sensationalism bent on political agenda.

SGOS

Quote from: "hillbillyatheist"its all the more reason I'm for stuff like PBS. They have good music shows and news.

I like this post.  I wish I could find the "thank a person" button to click on.  I've looked a few times.  I don't see it.

The media gets all high and mighty about their free speech rights.  While I agree with free speech, 99 times out of 100, the media just hides behind it as an excuse print whatever slop will get it ratings, no matter how negatively it affects people's lives or the country as a whole.

hillbillyatheist

the thank button is above the quote button at the bottom of each post. the tiny yellow thumbs up icon on the right in that row of tiny icons.

glad you agree.

I hope more people wake up to this and that we eventually pass laws to end this shit.
like my posts and thoughts? then check out my new blog. you can subscribe via email too, so that when its updated, you\'ll get an email, letting you know.

just click here

SGOS

Quote from: "hillbillyatheist"the thank button is above the quote button at the bottom of each post. the tiny yellow thumbs up icon on the right in that row of tiny icons.
Well, I'll be damned! :-D

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "SGOS"

I like this post.  I wish I could find the "thank a person" button to click on.  I've looked a few times.  I don't see it.

The media gets all high and mighty about their free speech rights.  While I agree with free speech, 99 times out of 100, the media just hides behind it as an excuse print whatever slop will get it ratings, no matter how negatively it affects people's lives or the country as a whole.

Not for nothing - but I didn't have the 'thank you' yellow star (lower right hand corner of post) on my tablet until I selected "See Full Site" as an option.  (Which I didn't notice when using my tablet - for the longest time).
The "thank you" yellow star has always been visible on my laptop (like now) but not on my tablet.   Maybe it has something to do with what equipment you use, the general settings on that equipment and what choices available?
I dunno.  
Just know that I only located "See Full Site" yesterday...........and finally the site looks the same on my tablet as it does on my laptop.

derrr
I'm computer illiterate remember? lol :rollin:

SGOS

I finally found it.  It was there all the time.  I figured it was, but it's not like it jumps out at you.  Even after Hillbilly told me where to look, I didn't see it right away.  I was looking at one of my own posts because I thought that was the most likely place (respond and thank), probably within the editor itself, but all I saw was a "report abuse" icon.  Well, it only shows up under someone else's posts, which does make sense, unless you feel the need to thank yourself for your own posts. :-D

AllPurposeAtheist

Once again.. I don't care. Imagine that.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

dawiw

This could be nothing more than a race issue.
I remain unconvinced by any claims anyone has ever made about the existence or the power of a divine force operating in the universe."
-Neil deGrasse Tyson.

Jmpty

While I agree in principle regarding the media, and the sensationalization (Is that a word?) of these kind of things, I think I'd be a little more concerned about arrests and trials carried out in secret. That would be bad.
???  ??

aitm

At the very least, I think in some other countries the name of a suspect is withheld until "he" is actually indicted. This would help some. Its bad enough being accused and then making bail and still loose your job and house and who knows what else because you are at this time just "accused".
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

AllPurposeAtheist

99% of all trials are never heard of. People go to prison all the time with not one word of press coverage. This one was picked up by the wire services because it made for good theatrics and the national press picked up on it. End stop.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.