News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Newbie here!

Started by AlwaysLearning, July 15, 2013, 11:38:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AllPurposeAtheist

You want a god to be there. I get that. I want this god to love me too and to make Warren Buffet adopt me as his long lost sonny boy, but it ain't happening and I don't buy it nor do I buy that this 'loving god' will burn me for eternity to show 'his' displeasure'
You're better off with toothfairyanism and realise the dental deity pays cold hard cash, picks up and delivers..  :lol:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

PickelledEggs

Oh wow. I didn't realize this was 4 pages long. I missed a lot of the conversation!  :lol:

Edit: 5 pages long

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: "PickelledEggs"Oh wow. I didn't realize this was 4 pages long. I missed a lot of the conversation!  :lol:

I prayed for being the first post of page 5. What a coincidence! :shock:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

AlwaysLearning

Quote from: "PickelledEggs"Oh wow. I didn't realize this was 4 pages long. I missed a lot of the conversation!  :lol:

haha you have missed a lot! But glad you've joined! I don't know how much more I'll be on this particular thread...I want to hang around some more in other places, but it was good to meet you all the same!

PickelledEggs

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"

I prayed for being the first post of page 5. What a coincidence! :shock:
I suspect you had an extra tooth to put under the pillow for that extra bit of magic?  =D>  :lol:

Quote from: "AlwaysLearning"haha you have missed a lot! But glad you've joined! I don't know how much more I'll be on this particular thread...I want to hang around some more in other places, but it was good to meet you all the same!
Nice to meet you too  :)

AlwaysLearning

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"...nor do I buy that this 'loving god' will burn me for eternity to show 'his' displeasure'...

He doesn't "burn us" because He is displeased with us. God is totally loving, but He is also totally just and holy. Because of these characteristics nothing unholy can be in His presence. Not because He is too good for us but literally because it cannot exist in His presence...men who would go into the place in the temple where God's presence would reside would fall and die if they had not done the proper rituals to "cover over their sins". If we choose to reject God and what happened on the cross then we "haven't done the proper rituals to cover over our sins" and we will "die". Hope that clarifies.

Believe me...it is a great displeasure for God to "burn us".

_Xenu_

Quote from: "mykcob4"
Quote from: "AlwaysLearning"Just wanted to introduce myself! My name is Stephanie, I'm 22 years old, and recently married (totally in love!). I love the outdoors; hiking, biking, and rock climbing. Also, I enjoy crafts and photography as occasional hobbies and would really like to learn how to make quilts. I go to school online (full time) at Liberty University, but don't hold me to their beliefs. I am indeed a Christian, but I don't affiliate myself with one specific denomination. I'm not here to "convince you that you're stupid" like some might believe, because I know quite the contrary! I used to be an atheist and was on a few atheist forum communities myself and I remember how intelligent the people on those boards were. So, I'm back to learn how to defend my beliefs a little better and address some really good questions that people have about Christianity. So ask away!
Liberty University is not a real school. It's a brainwash center for sheep that grants a fake degree. Liberty is a disgrace. It doesn't teach good science and replaces it with pseudo- science that fits its political believes.
You could have never been an atheist because there is no such thing as an atheist converting to christian. The fact is that you were a person that didn't know what to believe in and you allowed someone to brainwash you. An atheist thinks for themselves and isn't taken in by things that have no bearing in fact.
I put it to you that you cannot prove a god, a miracle or anything that can be associated by the christian tenets.
Heres a test about your socalled university. Do they teach that this nation was based on judeo-christian principles or that this is and always has been a secular nation? If they don't endorse the latter then their accreditation is invalid.
Pseudo-science, revissionist history, is all that is taught at the jerry falwell school of brainwashing known as liberty university. Just look at the name of the city where it is founded. It's Lynchburg Tennessee. It's called Lynchburg because they practiced lynching blacks. So racial prejudice is a hallmark of your socalled school. They beleive that you can "pray the gay away', as if gays have a choice of who and how they are.
So newbie I welcome you to have HONEST discussions, but I certainly don't believe that will ever happen as your core belief is based on a lie and a myth. All christians are hypocrites, so it will take a great deal for you to prove otherwise. I have a slogan for all christains, and conservatives, especially those associated with liberty university: "Do us all a favor and kill yourself, but be considerate and don't leave a mess."
This is a SECULAR nation. Religion is a myth and a lie. There is no god and never has been.
So go find Elvis, bigfoot, Nessy, but don't come here and pretend that you are the first and what would be the only christian that first converted from atheism (never happened), that you are pusuing a REAL degree from a REAL university, that you an intellect worthy of consideration.
Do us all a favor......!
Could you at least make an effort to not be a complete asshole?
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

Plu

Quote from: "AlwaysLearning"
Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"...nor do I buy that this 'loving god' will burn me for eternity to show 'his' displeasure'...

He doesn't "burn us" because He is displeased with us. God is totally loving, but He is also totally just and holy. Because of these characteristics nothing unholy can be in His presence. Not because He is too good for us but literally because it cannot exist in His presence...men who would go into the place in the temple where God's presence would reside would fall and die if they had not done the proper rituals to "cover over their sins". If we choose to reject God and what happened on the cross then we "haven't done the proper rituals to cover over our sins" and we will "die". Hope that clarifies.

Believe me...it is a great displeasure for God to "burn us".

There are so many logical contradictions in this "explanation" that it's not even really worth going over them :(

Mermaid

Quote from: "AlwaysLearning"Women are actually quite loved by God (at least the God I know). A good wife is considered far more precious than rubies, and women are considered wise, kind, helpful, and loving. I like to joke that God made us second so He made us a little better tehe  :wink:
This is probably true until this "good wife" wants to have control over her own life and her own body.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

FrankDK

AlwaysLearning,

> Good point about hermeneutics. I often wonder myself why God doesn't just show up in the sky or some obvious way, and then all of this wondering and doubting would be taken care of.

The most likely explanation for this is that god doesn't exist.  Yes, there are convoluted, illogical, contradictory excuses that could be offered, but they seem exceedingly unlikely.  If god wants us to believe, and then goes out of his way to make it look to any rational person that he does not exist, he is pretty devious.

> But I don't agree that the existence of hermeneutics proves that they were not divinely inspired. Could it not be true that something can be divinely inspired but written with imperfect, constantly changing, HUMAN INSPIRED words or language?

Yes, that is true.  In which case, your god is a hateful, sadistic bastard.  If the god that created the universe, that determined the charge on an electron so the universe would support life, the god whose eye is on the sparrow, can't inspire a document without a multitude of internal contradictions, factual errors, and blatant stupidity, then he must be doing it out of malice.  I would never worship such a malicious god.

> Just because the form the inspiration was written in is flawed doesn't necessarily prove that the divine inspiration is flawed. At least that's what I think. It's kind of like me trying to jump in the middle of a book on quantum mechanics and thinking that I'll understand it or be able to rewrite it in another language. If I don't take the time to understand what the book is really talking about then my understanding of it might be flawed.

You don't have to understand quantum mechanics to recognize that a book that says Einstein was born in 1887 and then later says it was 1892 has errors in it.  If it says the weight of an electron is 1/1657 AMU, the book is wrong; you don't have to go any further.  And if such a book claims that you shouldn't kill, but you are required to kill witches, and that homosexuality is wrong, and that god couldn't save us from the sin he tempted us to commit without making a Jewish zombie, there is no motivation to believe these things, since the book contains many obvious factual errors.

> I'll Google "abiogenesis" before long! Thanks for the suggestion. It's interesting that we don't know the origin of life, I wonder if we will one day!

We have identified several paths by which life could have arisen.  We may never know which of the possibilities actually led to us.  That doesn't cast doubt on the fact that it happened by natural means.

> It made me chuckle that christians used to think that lightning rods "defeated" God's lightning bolts. How silly of them.

The Holocaust was a Christian movement.  So were the Crusades and the Inquisition.  Sometimes Christian beliefs cause silly behavior; sometimes they cause tragedy.

> So called christians have gotten themselves in a lot of trouble always being afraid of change and science. We've often made a mess of things and made God look foolish because of the things we say and do, and I am sure that will never change on this earth because of a lack of really knowing who God is and what His heart is. I heard this saying a while ago "People know more about what christians are against rather than what they are for." It's sad and true; people think we hate gays, think that science is fake, and that anyone who doesn't believe in God is an idiot...and it's just not true. For once I'd like to show people the heart of my God.

You seem to start with the assumption that the god you call "God" exists and then modify your interpretation of reality to fit that assumption.  I only believe in things for which there is evidence, and there is no evidence for your god.

> As for the unhealed sick children, God weeps for them and I am sure that His heart is burdened with sorrow. I am unsure why He doesn't just heal us all immediately;

It's because he doesn't exist.  If I were this god, I would.  That makes me much more merciful than your god.  You should worship me.

Besides, the fact that there are sick people shows the Bible is wrong.  Matthew 21:22 clearly states that if you believe, you will receive whatsoever you ask for in prayer.  Yet believers' prayers are often unfulfilled.

> maybe it's because when we decided to eat that fruit, sin enter in and its' consequence was sickness and death;

Let's think about this particular myth.  First, your god made people without the sense of right and wrong, so they were incapable of knowing that disobeying him was wrong.  Then he put a tree right in the middle of their yard, knowing full well that they would disobey (since they didn't know it was wrong), eat the fruit, and be miserable forever.  What an idiot!  All he had to do was move the tree, or just give people the knowledge of right and wrong so they would know it was wrong to disobey him.  Then, to add insult to injury, he blamed people!  It was his fault.  He's the one who should be condemned to Hell, not people.

This myth was made up to explain the difference between inanimate objects like rocks, living things like animals, and people, who seemed to know the difference between right and wrong, unlike animals.

So which is more likely: that the god that created people he loved set it up so they couldn't avoid being condemned to sickness and death forever, or evolution?

> or maybe it's because even if He did, there would still be those who would choose not to believe in Him or they would attribute it to something else. What benefit would that be? Sure, they would be healed and live, but they would still not have life. But who really knows.

I do.  And deep down, so do you.

Frank

stromboli

This just in

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/10/2 ... 33275.html

QuoteThe Kansas Supreme Court on Friday indefinitely suspended the law license of the state's former attorney general, finding that he engaged in "ethical misconduct" in his aggressive pursuit of charges against abortion providers in the state.

In a unanimous decision, the court found that former Attorney General Phill Kline, 53, broke professional conduct rules and tended towards "overzealous advocacy" for his cause, Reuters reported. According to the ruling, the court was worried by Kline's "inability or refusal" to acknowledge his misconduct.

The Supreme Court found that Kline committed "significant and numerous" violations to advance his investigations, the Associated Press reported. His infractions included repeatedly misleading or allowing his employees to mislead others -- including a grand jury.

According to the Kansas City Star, Kline was found to have made "'false and misleading' statements to the Supreme Court about the handling of patient records obtained during the criminal investigations," among other infractions.

George Tiller, the Wichita doctor who was killed in 2009 for providing abortions, was one of Kline's subjects of investigation. Kline also led an investigation into a branch of Planned Parenthood located in the town of Overland Park, a suburb of Kansas City. In 2007, that investigation culminated in a 107-count indictment where Kline alleged that Planned Parenthood had falsified records and performed illegal abortions. The case was later dropped by current Johnson County district Attorney Steve Howe.

Kline now teaches at Liberty University in Virginia, a private Christian school founded by anti-gay pastor and televangelist Jerry Falwell.

Liberty may or may not be accredited, but to give tenure to a man whose ability to practice law was suspended  and willfully and repeatedly violated the ethical conduct of his office does not speak to a quality education. The point is that the school's agenda is not one of a rounded education, but having specific leanings to a fundamentally conservative religious view.

Solitary

:roll:  I still didn't get an answer to who the gods were that God was talking to in the Garden Of Eden.

This being in the Bible (Any of them!), shows that the idea of one God is a myth. There are also many people mentioned in Scripture that are also named in Pagan religions which show this. The idea of a "loving god" that is not tainted by sin by sending people to hell is as irrational as thinking can get. Love doesn't prove there is a God anymore than fear or hate does, it only shows that the concept of God is probably based on our image and not the other way around.

Every Christian I have heard supports their faith in God based on pick and choose in Scripture from what they already believe from hatred, love, fear, bigotry, prejudice, they're special, and being absolutely right with its support. In other words being neurotic or insane and unable to think rationally and soundly. And anytime you ask a question that blatantly is an obvious contradiction to their beliefs they become silent.    :roll: Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.