News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Newbie here!

Started by AlwaysLearning, July 15, 2013, 11:38:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mykcob4

Quote from: "stromboli"Just got that off your chest right from the get go there, mykcob. Truth is he's right. Liberty University doesn't appear on any accredited list of schools anywhere, and if you were an atheist you were really not paying attention. You don't go to a school like Liberty unless you are so indoctrinated in the religion that you don't even consider outside information, which means you were never an atheist.
I know, I WAS a bit nasty, but it kills me when someone claims that they where a ligitimate atheist and convert to christianity. It's like someone that graduated from liberty university claims they have a REAL degree.

Plu

It can actually happen, you know. Atheist just means "doesn't believe in gods". Just because some atheist add extra attributes to the word doesn't mean that has anymore validity over when theists do it.

It's quite possible for people who weren't raised religiously to become it later in life. Some people have a natural draw towards simple explanations and/or strict rules to live by. Other people are "convinced" by the arguments of a religious person they fall in love with.

The only people who tend to become immune to conversion are those who either have thought about the position a lot and arrived at it through reason. But that's only a small part of the general group of atheists, once you start factoring in the regions of the world where people simply aren't raised religiously and are atheists only because it's the default position.

aitm

so.........................whats yer favorite candy bar?

[spoil:10exe6y2][/spoil:10exe6y2]
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

stromboli

Quote from: "aitm"so.........................whats yer favorite candy bar?

[spoil:3nhpnbib][ Image ][/spoil:3nhpnbib]

Newly married, so she probably likes something with nuts.  :-D

mykcob4

Quote from: "Plu"It can actually happen, you know. Atheist just means "doesn't believe in gods". Just because some atheist add extra attributes to the word doesn't mean that has anymore validity over when theists do it.

It's quite possible for people who weren't raised religiously to become it later in life. Some people have a natural draw towards simple explanations and/or strict rules to live by. Other people are "convinced" by the arguments of a religious person they fall in love with.

The only people who tend to become immune to conversion are those who either have thought about the position a lot and arrived at it through reason. But that's only a small part of the general group of atheists, once you start factoring in the regions of the world where people simply aren't raised religiously and are atheists only because it's the default position.
EXACTLY my point. You say that I added something to the definition of atheist and technically you're correct, BUT how can you actually be an atheist unless you have actually applied thought and logic to the issue. Atheism isn't so pedestrian, there is actually a requirement. You have to consciencially understand that people believe in myths and nonsense and decide that you won't be fooled by any of their bullshit.

AlwaysLearning

Quote from: "Plu"Auch. That's a pretty tough start. Welcome aboard anyway :)

Sure is! But that's alright; I didn't think it'd be easy anyways.

As for mykcob4 and Solitary, I will answer your questions/comments in the morning! I have some assignments to finish at my fake school  :wink: and btw, it's actually located in Virginia and it IS accredited (look up the SACS).

Plu

QuoteBUT how can you actually be an atheist unless you have actually applied thought and logic to the issue.

By irrationally not believing in gods? Doesn't sound so hard to me. People hold irrational beliefs all the time.

QuoteBut that's alright; I didn't think it'd be easy anyways.

Depending on your reasons for joining, it won't be, either. If you really want to "learn to defend your faith" it's only going to get worse :) Especially if you want to defend your faith through reason, which is really hard to combine with trying to spread it, since all the rational arguments for having faith boil down to "it helps me, personally, to cope with shit", which is kinda useless to other people.

mykcob4

Quote from: "AlwaysLearning"
Quote from: "Plu"Auch. That's a pretty tough start. Welcome aboard anyway :)

Sure is! But that's alright; I didn't think it'd be easy anyways.

As for mykcob4 and Solitary, I will answer your questions/comments in the morning! I have some assignments to finish at my fake school  :wink: and btw, it's actually located in Virginia and it IS accredited (look up the SACS).
Okay not Tenn. but VA. It's still a bullshit school that brainwashes people and it's still in LYNCHBURG!!!!!
As far as accredidation, can't find it on any registry of accredited universities, which means that any degree from there isn't worth the paper that is printed on.
And why should we be "easy" on you anyway? Christians have persecuted more people than all the other persecuters combined.
Like I said earlier....*aitm*-c'mon man, easy up until at least the second salvo.

Brian37

Quote from: "AlwaysLearning"Just wanted to introduce myself! My name is Stephanie, I'm 22 years old, and recently married (totally in love!). I love the outdoors; hiking, biking, and rock climbing. Also, I enjoy crafts and photography as occasional hobbies and would really like to learn how to make quilts. I go to school online (full time) at Liberty University, but don't hold me to their beliefs. I am indeed a Christian, but I don't affiliate myself with one specific denomination. I'm not here to "convince you that you're stupid" like some might believe, because I know quite the contrary! I used to be an atheist and was on a few atheist forum communities myself and I remember how intelligent the people on those boards were. So, I'm back to learn how to defend my beliefs a little better and address some really good questions that people have about Christianity. So ask away!

Well Stephanie, I used to live in that city, for almost a decade. I also worked with many of the students who went there when delivering pizzas. I can and do get along with believers and my biggest supporter, my mom is still Catholic. I love her more than anyone in the world.

Ok, now that the Hallmark moment is out of the way. Please don't think that everyone here is a library type where we say "thats nice, good for you".

No, you have stepped into the enemy camp, much like I had to deal with Liberty Students. So to be warned, this is not about you, this is about what you claim. Your claims will get beaten up and blasphemed and ridiculed. If you take that personally you won't have a pleasant stay here. But if you can take the beating, and your claims will get beaten up, at a minimum, you get to learn a perspective you were not aware of before.

Oh and please don't ask me what I thought of Falwell or his family.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

FrankDK

Hi, Stephanie,

Welcome!  I hope you enjoy engaging with people who have different ideas from you.

I really don't have any questions about Christianity.  When I was in college (a long, LONG time ago), I was a born-again, Bible-believing Christian saving souls for Christ.  Then I read the Bible for myself and slowly realized that it was all a bunch of hooey.  One day I acknowledged that I didn't believe any of it.  It took years to go from believer to realist, but I made the journey.

Among the things that changed my mind were the errors and contradictions in the Bible; the fact that the promises made in the Bible didn't come true; the fact that there are so many religions with completely different conceptions of gods, and learning that science has answered most of the questions that gods were made up to explain.

Do you have any questions about atheists?

Frank

Brian37

Quote from: "stromboli"
Quote from: "aitm"so.........................whats yer favorite candy bar?

[spoil:2ion7gn1][ Image ][/spoil:2ion7gn1]

Newly married, so she probably likes something with nuts.  :-D

Hey now, don't be so presuming. In many states she might like camel toe or bearded clam.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

the_antithesis

Incidentally, what's a god?

FrankDK

> Incidentally, what's a god?

It's a supernatural being that can do anything merely by willing it, but who needs money every Sunday.

Frank

the_antithesis

Quote from: "FrankDK"> Incidentally, what's a god?

It's a supernatural being that can do anything merely by willing it, but who needs money every Sunday.

Frank

Why is it whenever I ask a theists this question, atheists feel the need to chime in?

Zeto

Quote from: "the_antithesis"
Quote from: "FrankDK"> Incidentally, what's a god?

Frank

Why is it whenever I ask a theists this question, atheists feel the need to chime in?
As I understand it, we're nosy fuckers. Also welcome Stephanie (from a fellow newbie).
I believe this is where the signature goes.