News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Hello and welcome to my introduction

Started by Owlix, October 23, 2013, 06:19:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owlix

I guess it's rude not to start here.

My name is Alexandria. I'm 27 years old and live in Arizona in the US. I was raised Roman Catholic but luckily when I was old enough to make that decision my mom never forced me, and so for all intents and purposes my religious education from a believer's standpoint stopped around 6 or 7. I never was a religious person, went to church because I had to really. Never had any feeling of a divine anything standing by my side.

There really isn't one point in time that made me realize gods and devils and spirits and such aren't real. More like a period of time because it was quite a culmination of random knowledge that one day it just clicked and I thought "Ok, enough of this". As I started objectively looking over the 'facts', there was definitely no denying it; gods are the imaginary friends of irrational adults. I will say a religious studies course did a lot to help as well though. It didn't really touch on western religions, more of the eastern ones. This gave me the opportunity to see that there are so many stories that exist in current religions which also exist in the earlier religions now relegated to myth.

I am an atheist by name but truthfully I don't really consider myself anything but alive. So far as I'm concerned, all religions are a farce. I don't really know what else to say here, I like cookies and hot cocoa and long walks.... nope, not a dating site.

Mostly I just want to talk to others who don't get that horrid 'oh dear, this one needs saving' look when I mention Darwin and evolution ("because it is just a theory...."). These people really get my goat and sometimes I want to forcibly restrain them and drill all this stuff into their heads. Obviously that's pointless which is why I've not done it yet.

So thanks in advance, I guess

Alexandria

Brian37

The third eye look you get is when you present the delusional with reality.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

GrinningYMIR

"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

mykcob4

Quote from: "Owlix"I guess it's rude not to start here.

My name is Alexandria. I'm 27 years old and live in Arizona in the US. I was raised Roman Catholic but luckily when I was old enough to make that decision my mom never forced me, and so for all intents and purposes my religious education from a believer's standpoint stopped around 6 or 7. I never was a religious person, went to church because I had to really. Never had any feeling of a divine anything standing by my side.

There really isn't one point in time that made me realize gods and devils and spirits and such aren't real. More like a period of time because it was quite a culmination of random knowledge that one day it just clicked and I thought "Ok, enough of this". As I started objectively looking over the 'facts', there was definitely no denying it; gods are the imaginary friends of irrational adults. I will say a religious studies course did a lot to help as well though. It didn't really touch on western religions, more of the eastern ones. This gave me the opportunity to see that there are so many stories that exist in current religions which also exist in the earlier religions now relegated to myth.

I am an atheist by name but truthfully I don't really consider myself anything but alive. So far as I'm concerned, all religions are a farce. I don't really know what else to say here, I like cookies and hot cocoa and long walks.... nope, not a dating site.

Mostly I just want to talk to others who don't get that horrid 'oh dear, this one needs saving' look when I mention Darwin and evolution ("because it is just a theory...."). These people really get my goat and sometimes I want to forcibly restrain them and drill all this stuff into their heads. Obviously that's pointless which is why I've not done it yet.

Alexandria
Welcome. I've read a few of your post, and I basically agree with them, BUUUUUT I wouldn't call someone a troll until I was sure. The person that you called a troll is clearly not.

Solitary

There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

aitm

A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Owlix

Quote from: "mykcob4"

Alexandria
Welcome. I've read a few of your post, and I basically agree with them, BUUUUUT I wouldn't call someone a troll until I was sure. The person that you called a troll is clearly not.

I didn't call anyone a troll. I'm new to forums overall, so my bad.

PickelledEggs

Welcome Owlix! I might call you Owl in times of intense laziness, btw  :-D

mykcob4

Quote from: "Owlix"
Quote from: "mykcob4"

Alexandria

I didn't call anyone a troll. I'm new to forums overall, so my bad.
Owlix   Post subject: Re: Atheism undefinedPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:33 pm  

Been thanked: 0 time  We're no stranger to strident opinions here, but when your first post is an anti-Christianity rant directed at a deist (who frequently criticizes Christianity, had you bothered to check), it's difficult not to conclude that you're a troll.

Not to mention, you've so far skipped making an introduction thread. As such, we know nothing about you save for that you've come out guns blazing and, to me at least, come across as someone in need of a chill pill. [/quote]

Cold pill taken, introduction posted. Now onto the celebrations
We're no stranger to strident opinions here, but when your first post is an anti-Christianity rant directed at a deist (who frequently criticizes Christianity, had you bothered to check), it's difficult not to conclude that you're a troll.

Not to mention, you've so far skipped making an introduction thread. As such, we know nothing about you save for that you've come out guns blazing and, to me at least, come across as someone in need of a chill pill. :-|[/quote]

We're no stranger to strident opinions here, but when your first post is an anti-Christianity rant directed at a deist (who frequently criticizes Christianity, had you bothered to check), it's difficult not to conclude that you're a troll.

Not to mention, you've so far skipped making an introduction thread. As such, we know nothing about you save for that you've come out guns blazing and, to me at least, come across as someone in need of a chill pill. :-|[/quote]

thats what I mean.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: "mykcob4"thats what I mean.
That's messed-up formatting; Owlix was trying to quote me. I was saying that her initial posts came off as a bit troll-ish to me because they were rather preachy and were made before an intro thread; which tends to set off my alarm bells.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Plu