News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Living life to the fullest

Started by GSOgymrat, July 12, 2013, 02:19:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GSOgymrat

As an atheist I am only observed by other people (an animals).
I am only judged by other people (and perhaps cats).
I don't have any children (they are a total buzz kill), so I have no investment in anything that happens after I die.
Because death is "game over" it is imperative I live as long as possible and maximize every experience.
In order to maximize my experiences lying, stealing and killing may be necessary (someone has to pay for my good times and work blows).
As long as I don't get caught, this is the best way to live life to the fullest.

Thoughts?

Do sociopaths have the most fun?

AllPurposeAtheist

I'm not impressed by selfishness. Raising kids is very fulfilling, but you'll never know and believe it or not you'll get old, unattractive and end up paying all your ilgotten gains out for medical expenses or just the expenses of getting old and nobody will give a rats ass that your back hurts or you need your diaper changed or that you're just lonely. But hey..don't take my word for it. Visit a prison where they house the lifers. See how swell they have it.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

stromboli

Personal philosophy. It is right for you if you agree with it. Had it to do over, I would probably do something very similar.

Plu

If you can steal, lie and cheat without feeling guilty, that's probably the best way.

Just keep in mind that there's a lot of other people out there who won't feel guilty for locking you in a small room for the rest of your life if they catch you doing it, which will put a quick stop to "live long and experience much".

stromboli

The "as long as I don't get caught" part is the problem. You are assuming when you commit a crime that you are smarter than anyone who wishes to find the criminal. The people that get away with crimes are few and far between. Other than major bankers or people who can buy immunity politically, criminals have a high percentage of getting caught.

I used to work with a guy who is an atheist, and lived a very free life. He had a good job, same as mine, and lived in a cheap apartment. But he did everything he wanted, owned the vehicle he wanted, had the girl friend he wanted, and so on. It amounts to priorities. If you have priorities that involve wealth and attainment, it is much harder to achieve and maintain. This guy was a rock climber, outdoorsman, cross country skier and liked to travel. He did exactly what he wanted. If committing crime is part of the deal, you might need to rethink your plans a little.

Shiranu

Meh, I find material wealth and irresponsibility doesn't bring much happiness, otherwise I would be very happy indeed.

And if you think work sucks, just wait till you get to spend time in the slammer for screwing over the wrong person.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

mykcob4

Quote from: "GSOgymrat"As an atheist I am only observed by other people (an animals).
I am only judged by other people (and perhaps cats).
I don't have any children (they are a total buzz kill), so I have no investment in anything that happens after I die.
Because death is "game over" it is imperative I live as long as possible and maximize every experience.
In order to maximize my experiences lying, stealing and killing may be necessary (someone has to pay for my good times and work blows).
As long as I don't get caught, this is the best way to live life to the fullest.

Thoughts?

Do sociopaths have the most fun?
"Thoughts?" Obviously you didn't think. I live my life to the fullest but I don't cheat steal rob or kill. If you have to do any of those things you aren't living life to the fullest. You're living life to the foolest!

GSOgymrat

Just for clarification, this is not me. I'm paraphrasing a line of reasoning used more than one of my clients. I'm a mental health counselor.

I posted this scenario on this forum is because I know the reaction of colleagues, who are all Christians, and was curious what reaction I would get from atheists.

stromboli

I consider myself a person with some intelligence and capable of guile. I can see situations where I might do something criminal, but I don't because the gain is not worth the risk. I don't lie for the same reason, because the outcome isn't worth the effort of having to keep remembering the lie. I think that might be a definition of sanity.

aitm

QuoteAs long as I don't get caught, this is the best way to live life to the fullest.

hmmm. cue Aaron Hernandez..
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Aupmanyav

Quote from: "GSOgymrat"Because death is "game over" it is imperative I live as long as possible and maximize every experience.
If you desire to live as long as possible and maximize every experience, then lying, stealing, and killing are not going to help you. You might end up in jail or on the death row. So, you will only get jail experience. Is that what you want?
"Brahma Satyam Jagan-mithya" (Brahman is the truth, the observed is an illusion)
"Sarve Khalu Idam Brahma" (All this here is Brahman)

Brian37

I don't have kids and don't want one either. But I also hate selfishness. I think life is what you give meaning to, not what others sell you or tell you what to be.

"It's not illegal if you don't get caught"

That is the morality of God right there. No accountability. That is selfishness.

Better morality is when you do the right thing, even when no one is watching.

I like going to work and going home and staying home. My only outside activity is visiting my mom, taking her out shopping and eating and to her doctors appointments. And I don't give one fuck what someone thinks of that. I don't find that boring at all.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Brian37

Quote from: "stromboli"The "as long as I don't get caught" part is the problem. You are assuming when you commit a crime that you are smarter than anyone who wishes to find the criminal. The people that get away with crimes are few and far between. Other than major bankers or people who can buy immunity politically, criminals have a high percentage of getting caught.

I used to work with a guy who is an atheist, and lived a very free life. He had a good job, same as mine, and lived in a cheap apartment. But he did everything he wanted, owned the vehicle he wanted, had the girl friend he wanted, and so on. It amounts to priorities. If you have priorities that involve wealth and attainment, it is much harder to achieve and maintain. This guy was a rock climber, outdoorsman, cross country skier and liked to travel. He did exactly what he wanted. If committing crime is part of the deal, you might need to rethink your plans a little.

Agreed. If someone thinks being an "atheist" means being "Barny Bad Ass", they can go fuck themselves. No, all "atheist" means is lack of belief in a god or gods. Atheists still have families and jobs and responsibilities. And even if they are single they still have bills and parents and friends to think of. "Atheist" does not mean rebel or evil or criminal. It merely means lack of belief in a god or gods.

QuoteIf committing crime is part of the deal, you might need to rethink your plans a little.

Agreed. You not only are fucking up your own life, but the lives of those you victimize and your own family as well.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

SGOS

Quote from: "GSOgymrat"Just for clarification, this is not me. I'm paraphrasing a line of reasoning used more than one of my clients. I'm a mental health counselor.

I posted this scenario on this forum is because I know the reaction of colleagues, who are all Christians, and was curious what reaction I would get from atheists.
Good to hear.  At worst, I was beginning to make very negative judgments about you.  At best, I thought you may have been playing some weird head game.  Having said that, I keep imagining a best seller titled "Living Prison Life to the Fullest."  I can't think of a bigger waste of time than spending even one day in jail.

Brian37

Quote from: "GSOgymrat"Just for clarification, this is not me. I'm paraphrasing a line of reasoning used more than one of my clients. I'm a mental health counselor.

Well, I can say we(atheist websites in general) have had posers post crap to see if we'd go "Yea, life is a free for all", and we also have had people who claim the label as meaning "Barney bad ass" or former "atheists" who defined it as "Not following the word of god". "Atheist" means none of those things. The word "atheist" does not address morality, merely position, on one issue.

I kid you not, a long time ago on Infidel Guy's website some idiot started a thread "I beat my girlfriend, enter with an open mind". HOLLY SHIT! This fuckwad thought "atheist" meant we would not judge him for that. Not only did we hand his ass to him, but the moron was stupid enough to put his name and location under his avatar. I called the authorities there gave them a link to the post, and he got a visit.