Study on fanboyism and brand loyalty

Started by the_antithesis, July 12, 2013, 12:21:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_antithesis

Hydra009

Unless you're incredibly wealthy, you can only really afford one.  And that financial investment easily becomes an emotional investment that leads people to rationalize their decision, overemphasizing its strengths and its competitor's weaknesses, as well as omitting its weaknesses and its competitor's strengths.

Shiranu

Not a console fanboy, but I am a Samsung fanboy.

I have used HTC, LG and Samsung and I would never go with any phone but Samsung again.

QuoteUnless you're incredibly wealthy, you can only really afford one. And that financial investment easily becomes an emotional investment that leads people to rationalize their decision, overemphasizing its strengths and its competitor's weaknesses, as well as omitting its weaknesses and its competitor's strengths.

Eh, my friend and his family lives in a basically 2 room house the size a portapotty, but he has both the 360 and ps3, plus will be getting the ps4 and Xbox1. It all depends on your priorities.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Plu

Myeah. A 500$ device is hardly "so expensive you can only get one". Most people could trade in their smartphone and buy one every year with the money the save. Priorities, as stated above.

And I aim to never be an fanboy of anything. And feel like I'm succeeding so far :)

Hydra009

TIL everyone else has way more disposable income than me.   :(

Plu

I have really low disposable income as well. It's just a matter of prioritizing what you want. You'd be surprised how much money you're blowing on stuff that you don't use all that much, probably.

AllPurposeAtheist

I have no income so I'm not a big fan of really much with the exception of female bodies and even those can be damned expensive.. probably why I'm only a fan I guess. I'm still waiting for Warren Buffet to claim me as his lost illegitimate son then those uber expensive females are in reach. :P
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

SGOS

Quote from: "Hydra009"Unless you're incredibly wealthy, you can only really afford one.  And that financial investment easily becomes an emotional investment that leads people to rationalize their decision, overemphasizing its strengths and its competitor's weaknesses, as well as omitting its weaknesses and its competitor's strengths.
A strange but not uncommon phenomenon.

Hydra009

Quote from: "SGOS"A strange but not uncommon phenomenon.
Yep.  Ever notice how when someone buys a new car, that car is the best car ever?

Solitary

Isn't this exactly the way people are about their brand of religious belief?  :shock: Doesn't it say something about their self esteem compared to their view of arrogant atheists?  :roll:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

SGOS

Quote from: "Hydra009"
Yep.  Ever notice how when someone buys a new car, that car is the best car ever?
It happens all the time.  It's so transparent, too.  "I really love my new car," should be sufficient.  I can buy that, but, "It's better than a this or that because of something or other," or worse yet, some stuff that's obviously parroted from the salesman he bought it from, suggests he's working too hard to convince himself.  

Another aspect of this is, "I got the best deal ever on my new car."  Hell, if you bought it at a dealership, the very best you might hope for is, "I think I didn't get screwed too badly this time."

the_antithesis

Then why do I hate my car?

Shiranu

Quote from: "the_antithesis"

Then why do I hate my car?

This. I honestly hate getting new cars or even driving my families. The brakes and gas are too sensitive, the seats aren't as comfortable, more blind spots, feels like its going to flip if you take it through a turn too fast (SUV vs 3200lb tank of a car), it's too quiet...

(I still get where you are coming from, though :P)
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Sal1981

Not owned a console since SNES. That deflection thing described in the vid isn't new.

Always PC for me.