Texas House OK's abortion bill; Senate up next

Started by Solitary, July 10, 2013, 03:00:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plu

They are the religious right, you'd expect them to be after women's rights. That's what gawd commands, after all.

Colanth

Quote from: "Solitary"
Quote from: "Colanth"
Quote from: "Mermaid"That is a large gap in the logic. The bible-thumping anti-abortion faction is delusional to think that legislation will actually prevent women from terminating pregnancy.
Those of us who were old enough in the 40s, 50s and 60s know that it won't.  It didn't then (we all knew where a girl could "solve" her "problem" safely), before it was legal, and once they've had a taste of quick, safe and legal, there won't be much "but it's so wrong".  Even the "good Catholic girls" back then weren't so religious when it became personal.  And with the possibility of bringing enough RU486 back from Canada or Mexico (or anywhere, really) with very little risk, a "back alley abortion" is a lot safer now than it was 50 or more years ago.

It may be a lot safer, but these are the statistics world wide, for back alley illegal abortions:
We're talking about the situation in the US, in which abortion is a right protected by law.  Yes, there are countries in which abortion is illegal.  And there are cultures in which killing your wife because she aborted your child is looked at as "it's too bad it had to go that far, but you can just buy another wife".   But that's irrelevant to the current thread, which is states preventing people from doing something that federal law guarantees them the right to do.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Titania

Quote from: "Mermaid"
Quote from: "Titania"
Quote from: "Brian37"No sorry, they are after women's rights, abortion is merely one aspect.
I don't know that I buy that. That's a little extreme. Please explain.
I am not Brian, but for starters, this ruling threatens to shut down 90% of the state-funded health centers, denying women access to basic care.
http://jezebel.com/5948215/texas-is-rep ... cy-centers
The centers are certainly not being shut down to prevent women from getting their pneumonia treated or a cancer removed. They're being shut down only because that's where they get abortions. I think it's pretty far-fetched to say that the Texas Repubs' intention is to kill off all the women or take away all our rights.

He made the statement that "they're after women's rights in general", but abortion/birth control is a very specific issue, so in order to accept his claim, I require him to give examples of other women's rights being attacked by the Texas Repubs.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows." - Winston Smith, 1984

WitchSabrina

Wow - I think I've said this like 100 times on this message board - But - the fact is - MANY women get their basic OBGYN care at these clinics that Also happen to provide abortions.  For a great number of female Americans (middle to low income) these clinics are the Only source they have for pap smears and birth control.  Not to mention check-ups and advice for further female medical needs.
People **hear** the term abortion and their minds go towards ONE thing............  abortion.   The many other methods of care women receive at these clinics are ignored Once the word 'abortion' is said.

::: sigh :::

ANY women's clinic that shuts down means thousands of females who will either (1) be forced to go without OBGYN medical attention or........  (2) have to travel a great distance to secure such OR  (3) start flooding emergency rooms for non-emergency care WHICH makes Real emergencies stand in line for medical attention.

Closing clinics (that ALSO provide abortions) will NOT make female patients vanish into thin air.

If people want to stop late-term abortions --- I can wrap my head around that.  But closing clinics that provide valuable medical services is just cutting off your nose to spite your own face.  It. Is. Stupid.
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

Titania

Quote from: "WitchSabrina"Wow - I think I've said this like 100 times on this message board - But - the fact is - MANY women get their basic OBGYN care at these clinics that Also happen to provide abortions.  For a great number of female Americans (middle to low income) these clinics are the Only source they have for pap smears and birth control.  Not to mention check-ups and advice for further female medical needs.
People **hear** the term abortion and their minds go towards ONE thing............  abortion.   The many other methods of care women receive at these clinics are ignored Once the word 'abortion' is said.

::: sigh :::

ANY women's clinic that shuts down means thousands of females who will either (1) be forced to go without OBGYN medical attention or........  (2) have to travel a great distance to secure such OR  (3) start flooding emergency rooms for non-emergency care WHICH makes Real emergencies stand in line for medical attention.

Closing clinics (that ALSO provide abortions) will NOT make female patients vanish into thin air.

If people want to stop late-term abortions --- I can wrap my head around that.  But closing clinics that provide valuable medical services is just cutting off your nose to spite your own face.  It. Is. Stupid.

Everything you just said is true and still it doesn't answer the question. "Women lost access to pap smears because the state closed the abortion clinics they used" is not the same statement as "The state closed the abortion clinics because they didn't want women to get pap smears."
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows." - Winston Smith, 1984