Atheists The Most Feared Group In America (?)

Started by stromboli, July 10, 2013, 01:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

http://www.policymic.com/articles/53409 ... ca-but-why

QuoteThe number of those identifying as nonreligious has grown dramatically in the U.S. in recent years. The percentage of American adults not identifying with any religion in Pew Research polls has grown from barely 15% to nearly 20% in the last five years.  Much of this change comes from the fact that just 9% of those 65 and older do not identify with a religion, and they're being replaced by youths with far higher rates.

The amount of hate and distrust toward atheists in America is still astounding. "Atheists as 'Other': Moral Boundaries and Cultural Membership in American Society," a paper by three sociologists at the University of Minnesota, compared perceptions of atheists to those of other groups. Forty percent surveyed said atheists were a group which "Does not At All Agree With My Vision of America," while the next most common response was Muslims at 26%. Nearly 50% said they would disapprove of their child marrying an atheist, and the next two highest groups were Muslims at 34% and African-Americans at 27%.

So when University of Tennessee researchers publish the first comprehensive study into the American irreligious we should pay attention. They stressed that previous studies have lumped everyone not connected to religion into one category, ignoring the myriad differences even among atheists.

The Tennessee study broke down nonbelievers into six groupings:

Intellectual Atheist/Agnostics (IAA). Members of this group tend to seek intellectual pursuits and pursue truth.

Activist Atheist/Agnostics (AAA). Most community oriented and often involved in other progressive causes.

Seeker Agnostics (SA). Are interested in philosophical questions but find themselves unable to definitely know much about the existence or nonexistence of the divine.

Antitheists. They see religion as a destructive force in society.

Non-theists. People who have always been apathetic or uninterested in religion.

Ritual Atheist/Agnostics (RAA). "Find utility in tradition and ritual" like yoga or a family Chanukah celebration.

Intellectual Atheist/Agnostics was the most common grouping. The image of the angry intellectual atheist like Christopher Hitchens may play in to fears about one's child's spouse, but the UT study found personality types of the nonreligious were distributed similarly to those of the religious. The authors suggest the angry atheist stereotype is due to those in the smallest group, antitheists, rating higher than others in anger and dogmatism — and thus attracting the most attention.

If people believe it takes the fear of God to make someone a good family member or American, this report may do little to shake them from their beliefs. But in the long term the greater acknowledgement that atheists don't look that different from theists and that there is a great deal of diversity among the nonreligious can only help.

Intellectual atheists have a nasty habit of thinking that atheists are smarter, more rational, or generally superior to theists. They themselves would also benefit from acknowledging atheists are not a homogeneous group.

We are liked less than Muslims? Wow, that's some hate.

On the last-bolded- part, I do believe that atheists generally are more intelligent than theists based on my personal experience. But I don't think that we are unaware that we are not a homogeneous group, rather the opposite. I believe we are quite well aware of it.

I also wonder how much bias is built into the study. The University of Tennessee, far as I know, is not a hotbed of atheism. Your thoughts?

surly74

the bolded part is correct. i do think i am smarter, more rational compared to theists...if that comes across as superiority...fucking deal with it churchy
God bless those Pagans
--
Homer Simpson

stromboli

Quote from: "surly74"the bolded part is correct. i do think i am smarter, more rational compared to theists...if that comes across as superiority...fucking deal with it churchy

Exactly. I've got a long life and much experience to compare to, and I've found more good sense and rational thinking here on the forum than just about anywhere else I've been. And yeah, I agree- deal with it.

GSOgymrat

I think I'm a Seeker Agnostic, although one can never be too sure about these things.

Youssuf Ramadan

Quote from: "surly74"the bolded part is correct. i do think i am smarter, more rational compared to theists...if that comes across as superiority...fucking deal with it churchy

lol   =D>

stromboli

I've progressed through the ranks. I'm probably an antitheist now, because I see more and more how damaging religion is to society.

Solitary

I'm not prejudice, I hate everybody.  :shock:  Not really, but after a life time of seeing what religion has brought to the world for thousands of years and even now, I hate religion and the evil it is parading around as something good. They're against birth control while millions of children and adults are starving to death. They are getting more and more involved in politics and education. They deny science and the good it can do based on superstitious nonsense thinking they have knowledge when they only have ignorance.

The religious have for the most part supported every war while saying killing is a sin. The religious leaders have always demanded obedience to their dogma to control people, even in their bedrooms. They have made religion sacred so it can't be challenged because it would make the magic zombie and his invisible dad pissed off. Yeah, I do think I can reason better than they can, even if I'm not what they, or anyone else, considers smart.  :evil:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Youssuf Ramadan

Religion is a social control tool, amongst other things.  Do Xtians fear atheism more than religions such as Islam because even the Muslims have similarities to Xtians in terms of having an imaginary friend, a book, a building and a bunch of autopilot rent-a-quotes and observances?  Do they think that the US is going to dissolve into anarchy if atheism becomes the norm? Is there a part of a Christian that realises their religion is a bit stupid?

surly74

that's why xtians call atheism a religion. they can't fathom not having a belief system that defines them and that is scary to them. at least with islam, which they think it's different, has that same framework as they do.

they can't grasp that really, atheism is nothing.
God bless those Pagans
--
Homer Simpson

SGOS

Quote from: "Youssuf Ramadan"Religion is a social control tool, amongst other things.  Do Xtians fear atheism more than religions such as Islam because even the Muslims have similarities to Xtians in terms of having an imaginary friend, a book, a building and a bunch of autopilot rent-a-quotes and observances?  Do they think that the US is going to dissolve into anarchy if atheism becomes the norm? Is there a part of a Christian that realises their religion is a bit stupid?
I've often heard the expression, "Well at least you believe in something," from theist types.  So yeah, I can understand why Muslims may be less threatening.  If you believe in something, at least you're on the right track:  "Eventually, you might believe in my God."  This is very common in Alcoholics Anonymous.  Just pick out something, anything to be you're higher power.  A doorknob is often used as an example to get the point across.  As silly as it is, these people say it in all sincerity,... or so they say.  I have my doubts sometimes.  Even faking a belief in a higher power is desirable in AA.  "Fake it until you make it," is an oft heard expression.

Solitary

How is it decided one is an alcoholic? Is it one drink too many, or something else? Is it when drinking controls one's life like religion does? Or is it just a crutch or slow form of suicide? I'm being sincere with this and want answers. Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

surly74

Quote from: "Solitary"How is it decided one is an alcoholic? Is it one drink too many, or something else? Is it when drinking controls one's life like religion does? Or is it just a crutch or slow form of suicide? I'm being sincere with this and want answers. Solitary

controlling your life is a big thing. i'm struck but the connection to religion...i've never heard it put like you just did. I have heard that religion is a substitute for alcohol in the recovery process but for whaterver reason never thought in those destructive terms.
God bless those Pagans
--
Homer Simpson

SGOS

Quote from: "Solitary"How is it decided one is an alcoholic? Is it one drink too many, or something else? Is it when drinking controls one's life like religion does? Or is it just a crutch or slow form of suicide? I'm being sincere with this and want answers. Solitary
I don't think that question has an easy answer.  Even in AA the subject comes up, and while AA members identify themselves as alcoholic, they will often admit that they don't know what that means.  I remember one guy saying he often wondered whether he was an alcoholic or just a "slob".  He said it didn't make much difference to him because his life was out of control, and he couldn't stop drinking.  Well, he did stop and I think he's about 20 years without a drink at this time.  He's the only one from AA that I still keep in touch with.

josephpalazzo

Truth is the most potent weapon. That's why theists fear us.

AllPurposeAtheist

Intelligence has spit to do with jack. You're no smarter than the average theist just for merely not believing in gods, but you're extraordinary at mentally playing with your dick ïf you really think you're smarter because of it.
I'm not sticking up for religion, but I surely know quite a few stupid cocksuckers who wear the atheist banner. The exact same holds true of rolly holers. They're just as good at mental masturbation and claiming some superior high ground. Realize our differences aren't all that much.. Plenty of people, in fact more theists go to college than atheists..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.