Apocalypse Believers Apathetic About Global Warming

Started by stromboli, July 14, 2013, 08:48:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

http://www.alternet.org/belief/are-cons ... sus-coming

QuoteEnd time belief has an almost salacious appeal in America—and not just to the four out of ten Americans who believe that Jesus Christ will return to Earth by 2050. At least since the Millerites were laughed off the national stage in 1844, watching prophecy fail has become something of a national pastime. The attitudes of the two groups—heavenly-minded believer and smirking spectator—are well captured in a pair of bumper stickers: "In case of Rapture, this car will be unmanned" and "In case of Rapture, can I have your car?"

But some in the spectator camp hold that America's remarkably durable "rapture culture" is no laughing matter; that it might, in fact, be a menace to society. At issue is end time believers' perceived lack of investment in the earth's future. That is, if they believe Jesus is coming back, do they have any incentive to preserve and protect the environment for future generations?

Many who are concerned about the environment—including prominent figures like Al Gore, E.O. Wilson, and Bill Moyers—argue that for such believers the answer is no.

Although mistrust of end time believers' earthly intentions has smoldered for decades, a new study about "End Times Theology" has added fuel to the fire. According to the study's authors, political scientists David Barker and David Bearce, when it comes to climate change, "a belief in the Second Coming reduces the probability of strongly agreeing that the government should take action by more than 12 percent."

The reason, according to Barker and Bearce, is that while "non-end-times believers have little reason to doubt humankind's infinite persistence, all else being equal, end-times believers 'know' that life on Earth has a preordained expiration date, no matter what—and that all Christians will be raptured before the going gets too tough."

I used to be one of these people. Refusing to take action on the basis of belief in the Rapture is beyond dumb, first of all because the Rapture itself in nonbiblical, controversial to begin with and silly. And yet, thanks to the efforts of the "left behind" crowd, it is believed across the board by many if not most xtians. The Republicans, especially the Tea Party, have essentially determined not to do anything towards global warming efforts. In a weird way, they may be incurring their own Apocalypse.

frosty

This should not be a surprise regarding incurring their own apocalypse. Many doomsday sects of the three Abrahamic religions have often tried to cause mass chaos and destruction because they believe that if they do so, their chosen saviors will come faster. Considering many from the Tea Party aka Republican crowd are also religious conservatives.... your words may not be that far from the truth.

Even when I was a kid I always thought it was stupid for people to cause pandemonium so the world can end faster. As if an all powerful, omnipotent, omnipresent super deity that created everything would need little humans to do his dirty work for him.

Solitary

The anti science atitude of the Bush administration, motivated in part by the heavy representation of Catholics and evangelical Christians in virtually all federal offices from the president on down and dominating most advisory panels, suppressed reports by government scientists on issues such as birth control, global warming, and stem cell research.

Anti science was implicit, or even explicit, throughtout this movement. Scientists have to stop sitting back and start stepping up to challenge religion. The welfare and, indeed, the survival of our species is at stake. Not a big loss in my opinion from what I see happening in the world.  :shock:   :evil:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Valigarmander

Colanth

Ignoring global warming is a clear and present danger to at least 7+ billion human lives.  Isn't killing someone who poses a clear and present danger to your life self defense?
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

AllPurposeAtheist

The people holding the levers of power know it's a fucking joke, but the world isn't coming to an end anytime soon. Global warming may be indeed true, but so is air conditioning and waterproofing.
These asswipes use these ploys to keep raking in enormous sums of cash and wealth and don't give one rats ass how many people die or suffer as a result. They can fly anywhere on the planet to escape the effects. As for myself.. I'm not a big polluter, but not trying to raise any alarms either mainly because my voice is never going to be heard by those controlling the levers of power and as much as it may irk the piss out of you the same power brokers are not fretting over our conversations here on AF.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

frosty

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"The people holding the levers of power know it's a fucking joke, but the world isn't coming to an end anytime soon. Global warming may be indeed true, but so is air conditioning and waterproofing.
These asswipes use these ploys to keep raking in enormous sums of cash and wealth and don't give one rats ass how many people die or suffer as a result. They can fly anywhere on the planet to escape the effects. As for myself.. I'm not a big polluter, but not trying to raise any alarms either mainly because my voice is never going to be heard by those controlling the levers of power and as much as it may irk the piss out of you the same power brokers are not fretting over our conversations here on AF.

You are right about the futility of certain discussions related to this topic, I just think it's always important to have discussions about things and not hold back what we want to say just because certain parties do not agree with, or even hate, our points of view on the subject. That being said, I completely get you when you are talking about how other entities have the power and we do not. I've always know that when it comes to Internet activism, unless it's followed up with some physical action, it is basically useless. Of course physical action could mean a wide variety of things but I'm sure you get the point.

Your post also reminded me of all the times I used to try to make your exact point to fellow Internet goers. Of course, most of the responses I got back were always very negative, but that's because people have a hard time accepting that all their emotional out-pours and keyboard battles may be for nothing.

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: "frosty"
Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"The people holding the levers of power know it's a fucking joke, but the world isn't coming to an end anytime soon. Global warming may be indeed true, but so is air conditioning and waterproofing.

You are right about the futility of certain discussions related to this topic, I just think it's always important to have discussions about things and not hold back what we want to say just because certain parties do not agree with, or even hate, our points of view on the subject. That being said, I completely get you when you are talking about how other entities have the power and we do not. I've always know that when it comes to Internet activism, unless it's followed up with some physical action, it is basically useless. Of course physical action could mean a wide variety of things but I'm sure you get the point.

Your post also reminded me of all the times I used to try to make your exact point to fellow Internet goers. Of course, most of the responses I got back were always very negative, but that's because people have a hard time accepting that all their emotional out-pours and keyboard battles may be for nothing.
Exactly..Thank you!

All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Broede

I dunno, seems to me if I created a universe, then created a species to enjoy it and they pissed my gift away, I'd be pretty angry about it.  Fuck your rapture; I spent six days making that god-damned thing!  Maybe I'll just flood them all out...