News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Atheists on YouTube

Started by Armada, July 09, 2013, 01:23:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armada

I started a YouTube chennel a little while ago that is dedicated to different religions, cultures and the insanity that goes on because of it. I'm getting tired of talking to myself throughtout the whole video though, so I was thinking about expending it.

I want to invite people for a chat where we pick a specific topic and discuss it. Does anyone want to join?
Babies go well with red wine

Seabear

Not to be a dick, but there are already a *LOT* of atheist YouTube contributors and channels; some of them really quite good (not to imply that you aren't). What do you feel yours bring to the table that other existing channels and videos do not?

Also, I think the comments section of youTube leaves a lot to be desired from a discussion perspective.

Just IMO
"There is a saying in the scientific community, that every great scientific truth goes through three phases. First, people deny it. Second, they say it conflicts with the Bible. Third, they say they knew it all along."

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Brian37

I am going to be a dick to you for implying he shouldn't. I would agree that there are lots of atheist Youtube channels, but since they invite anyone to start their own channel, certainly there is no guarantee on who will watch or join, they can give it a shot if they want to.

I write poetry and many people think it sucks. My work is in the link below. Certainly there are lots of poets, most will go unknown, but it is what I like doing, so I do it. I hold no expectations that people like or dislike it. Some if it is damned good, but all of it I put out there because it is part of my history.

I'd say to the Original Poster,  do the channel if you wish, but there is lots of competition out there so if you are doing it to become famous, don't do it for that, simply do it because you find the topic interesting.

Besides the more open atheists there are, the more other atheists will see this, and the more seriously theists will have to take us.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Armada

Quote from: "Seabear"Not to be a dick, but there are already a *LOT* of atheist YouTube contributors and channels; some of them really quite good (not to imply that you aren't). What do you feel yours bring to the table that other existing channels and videos do not?

Also, I think the comments section of youTube leaves a lot to be desired from a discussion perspective.

Just IMO

I don't just focus on the main three. I like going into the good-old polytheistic religions as well. They seem to have more interesting legends and there are a lot of religions people don't really know much about. Christianity and Islam killed a lot of very interesting belief systems and I think they deserve a little spotlight.
I do poke at the bible every now and again, but instead of picking specific, especially guesome and nonsensical parts, I just go through the whole bible chapter by chapter. This way no one can say I'm cherry picking.

I must agree about the comment section. It's not easy keeping track of every discussion thread. Plus people often feel like the number of characters they are given isn't enough, so they post 5-6 comments at a time. which makes it even more insane.

Armada

Quote from: "Brian37"I am going to be a dick to you for implying he shouldn't. I would agree that there are lots of atheist Youtube channels, but since they invite anyone to start their own channel, certainly there is no guarantee on who will watch or join, they can give it a shot if they want to.

I write poetry and many people think it sucks. My work is in the link below. Certainly there are lots of poets, most will go unknown, but it is what I like doing, so I do it. I hold no expectations that people like or dislike it. Some if it is damned good, but all of it I put out there because it is part of my history.

I'd say to the Original Poster,  do the channel if you wish, but there is lots of competition out there so if you are doing it to become famous, don't do it for that, simply do it because you find the topic interesting.

Besides the more open atheists there are, the more other atheists will see this, and the more seriously theists will have to take us.

Doing a YouTube channel for fame is not a good idea in general. It's easy to look at the few who made it big, but in reality it took them many years and a lot of hard work to get there. Things live YouTube channels should really be started because it's something you enjoy, other way it leads to disappointments.

I must admit though, this channel is growing much faster than my other one, which I started more than a year ago, probably because people like arguing about religions so much.

And god, poetry is hard to sell these days...

Plu

Does your channel just poke at religion? It seems far more interesting to me to focus on atheism itself, and discussing things like how atheists deals with the various tough things in life like philosophy, death, injustice and the general unfairness of life. Sounds like it'd generate far more interesting discussions than rehashing all the reasons why religion is dumb yet again.

Armada

Quote from: "Plu"Does your channel just poke at religion? It seems far more interesting to me to focus on atheism itself, and discussing things like how atheists deals with the various tough things in life like philosophy, death, injustice and the general unfairness of life. Sounds like it'd generate far more interesting discussions than rehashing all the reasons why religion is dumb yet again.

Not those specific topics, but I do have videos on morning after pill, disproof that atheism is a violent way of life, and why it doesn't take faith to be an athiest. Those topics usually spring up as a video responces because my immagination isn't good enough to think up "atheism is violent" sort of things.