News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

No Internet since last Wednesday

Started by SGOS, July 08, 2013, 12:47:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

It just stopped.  Century Link had me disconnect my modem and start it up again, and then decided I needed a tech guy, but it was the Fourth of July weekend and everyone was getting drunk, so they couldn't get anybody out here for 6 days.  The tech guy decided my modem was shot and replaced it.

I was a bit beside myself without my connection, but I managed to get more work done around the house.  There were 15 or so notices of activity at the forum, but most of those were in more or less dead threads.  I see a bunch of new ones, so I guess I have to catch up.

Now I'm sure everyone must have been wondering, "Where did that guy go, and why does the forum seem to run so well without him?  Anyway, I missed the forum.  It's how I start my day, and how I manage to put other things off.  It's good to be back.

Solitary

He! He! Glad to have you back.  :-D  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

SGOS

Colanth

Century Link, huh?  That's who I was thinking of going to after my TW contract ended.  Other than 1 bad modem, are they any good?  (I always have spare modems and routers.)
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

SGOS

Quote from: "Colanth"Century Link, huh?  That's who I was thinking of going to after my TW contract ended.  Other than 1 bad modem, are they any good?  (I always have spare modems and routers.)
It's hard to say.  Their tech support is better than average, I would say.  At least they have always been courteous, understandable, and clear.  I'll give them a pass on the 4th of July weekend glitch.  One other time, the county tore up the cable buried in the borrow pit while they were cleaning out storm debris, and Century Link repaired it the next morning.  

All I get from them is DSL cable, which was only made available about two years ago.  Before that I was using wireless broad band from Verizon, which was a bit slower and more subject to the vagaries of wind and weather.

My main complaint, but probably equally valid for other communications companies, is the high cost.   It's $70/Month for only DSL.  Now living in a somewhat remote area, I'm happy to finally have at least DSL, and I account for the higher than average price because people had been stuck with dial up out here for years and were ready to pay anything.  But it's price gouging, pure and simple, just as I believe it is for people in higher population densities where the cost is a bit less.

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "SGOS"
Quote from: "Colanth"Century Link, huh?  That's who I was thinking of going to after my TW contract ended.  Other than 1 bad modem, are they any good?  (I always have spare modems and routers.)
It's hard to say.  Their tech support is better than average, I would say.  At least they have always been courteous, understandable, and clear.  I'll give them a pass on the 4th of July weekend glitch.  One other time, the county tore up the cable buried in the borrow pit while they were cleaning out storm debris, and Century Link repaired it the next morning.  

All I get from them is DSL cable, which was only made available about two years ago.  Before that I was using wireless broad band from Verizon, which was a bit slower and more subject to the vagaries of wind and weather.

My main complaint, but probably equally valid for other communications companies, is the high cost.   It's $70/Month for only DSL.  Now living in a somewhat remote area, I'm happy to finally have at least DSL, and I account for the higher than average price because people had been stuck with dial up out here for years and were ready to pay anything.  But it's price gouging, pure and simple, just as I believe it is for people in higher population densities where the cost is a bit less.

You'll have to focus on the perks of living in a remote area.

oxox
I am currently experiencing life at several WTFs per hour.

SGOS

Quote from: "WitchSabrina"
Quote from: "SGOS"

You'll have to focus on the perks of living in a remote area.

oxox
I do, I do.  I only get grumpy when someone brings up the subject of communications monopolies, oil monopolies, and Obamacare.  The rest is all cows mooing, owls hooting, and the occasional bear in my garbage can.

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "SGOS"I do, I do.  I only get grumpy when someone brings up the subject of communications monopolies, oil monopolies, and Obamacare.  The rest is all cows mooing, owls hooting, and the occasional bear in my garbage can.

There was a bear in my garbage can last night.   Just finished cleaning the driveway.  BUT........... I am in the woods and pretty much HIS domain.
lol

aitm

A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

WitchSabrina

Quote from: "aitm"who the fuck are you?

Which one of us are you asking?
 :rollin:

SGOS

Quote from: "WitchSabrina"There was a bear in my garbage can last night.   Just finished cleaning the driveway.  BUT........... I am in the woods and pretty much HIS domain.
lol
I'm all for sharing my environment with other creatures.  I feel privileged that they allow me to share it with them.  Sometimes the bears decide to just go ahead and share my stuff without asking.  Then I have to remember that I never asked them if I could share their environment either.  I just sort of barged in.  

We have an unspoken agreement.  They don't eat me, and I don't shoot them.  I don't see them often, but I'm guessing they stand in the trees and observe me from the bushes.  Yeah, it's kind of creepy, I suppose.  But not near as creepy as when humans do it.

SGOS

Quote from: "WitchSabrina"
Quote from: "aitm"who the fuck are you?

Which one of us are you asking?
 :rollin:
I think he means me, but in his defense, I admit I never stopped at the introductions thread when I joined a couple of years ago.  Somehow, I was just able to start posting like some snot nosed kid barging into an adult conversation.  Granted some of the threads are more juvenile than adult, but I post in those too.  :-D

leo

Several days without the internet  is a long time ! :shock:
Religion is Bullshit  . The winner of the last person to post wins thread .

aitm

Quote from: "leo"Several days without the internet  is a long time ! :shock:

hell thats nothing, I once went 40 years without the internet.....

:-"
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SGOS

Quote from: "aitm"
Quote from: "leo"Several days without the internet  is a long time ! :shock:

hell thats nothing, I once went 40 years without the internet.....

:-"
Yeah, but it was pure Hell. :-D