World Nut Dummies falsely accuse atheists of censorship.

Started by Brian37, July 08, 2013, 06:48:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rin Hato

Sorry for my outburst earlier, folks.

There was just a bit of a trigger and I sorta reacted =/
Obieru kono te no naka niwa taorareta hana no yuuki.

Brian37

Quote from: "Rin Hato"Sorry for my outburst earlier, folks.

There was just a bit of a trigger and I sorta reacted =/

To what? Theism being bullshit? Why shouldn't you  be angry at claims of invisible friends? Wouldn't you also be angry if you had a friend today who claimed Thor made lightening? You might like them personally, but that does not mean the claim deserves value.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Rin Hato

Haha, no, it was about another article to do with trans people. I got a bit... annoyed.

FinalSomnia

It's okay, Rin, we love you no matter what your gender status is. Not everyone is smart or compassionate enough to realize that it has nothing to do with perversion.

Also... Saying that ID has no place in a science classroom is no more censorship than saying that phrenology has no place in a medical classroom.
Heaven is no more than a carrot on a string at the end of a tunnel; Hell is no more than a gunbarrel at the back of your head.  When we are good people for the sake of being good people, we\'ll have no further use for religion.

Mermaid

Quote from: "Rin Hato"Haha, no, it was about another article to do with trans people. I got a bit... annoyed.
I'd say that "rant" (kind of a tame one) is far more than justified. Don't apologize for that. I'll be appalled and disgusted right along with you.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Mermaid

Quote from: "FinalSomnia"Also... Saying that ID has no place in a science classroom is no more censorship than saying that phrenology has no place in a medical classroom.
Truth be told, I'd love for someone to read the bumps on my head.   =P~
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Rin Hato

Quote from: "Mermaid"
Quote from: "Rin Hato"Haha, no, it was about another article to do with trans people. I got a bit... annoyed.
I'd say that "rant" (kind of a tame one) is far more than justified. Don't apologize for that. I'll be appalled and disgusted right along with you.
Haha, I'm not very good at ranting. I tend to forget what I was going to say and end up just posting half of a rant and calling it quits while I shoot dudes on Battlefield.

It was more of a little outburst of pent-up rage, TBH :lol:

ozymandias

While I sympathize with the comment about freedom of speech and all, I regard ID on a science campus, in any capacity, in the same light as that arab proverb about once the camel gets his nose inside the tent the next thing you know you're outside and the camel is in the tent.

LikelyToBreak

ozymandias wrote:
QuoteWhile I sympathize with the comment about freedom of speech and all, I regard ID on a science campus, in any capacity, in the same light as that arab proverb about once the camel gets his nose inside the tent the next thing you know you're outside and the camel is in the tent.

I think this is the wrong way to look at it.  For one, this sounds to me like the dying gasp for disproving evolution.  Also, we atheists were shoved out of the tent for centuries, now we have the ability to be big about letting them have a nose in our tent.  We are not afraid of Christians converting us, whereas they are terrorified of us converting them.

I really think FFRF messed up on this one.  If it was a high school elective, then I would support them in this.  But, as it is at a university, even if they do get some tax money, the students have to pay some in order to take the seminar.  At least I assume they do.  So, it would have been better to have just let them have this, rather than giving them the ability to yell censorship.

And as we all know, Christians know about censorship.  In other words, we atheists should be extra careful not to follow in the ways of the Christian majority.  Two wrongs don't make a right.  Unless of course, you are a Christian. Then you can add 1+1+1 and get one.  But, then we think differently and we should show it.

Personally, I think the FFRF was just looking for something to raise cane about to justify their existence and found this seminar.  There are a lot of other real religious travesties going on, which could be addressed without making atheists look like a bunch of censors.

Plu

We can't really know whether or not they are just trying to justify their existance or whether the class would really amount to just a sermon, unfortunately. If the source material were online, we could have a look. But I give it a 99% chance that it's just nonsense presented as fact, which really has no place in a university.

That kind of dishonesty is how they try to get to their members in the first place. The last thing we should do is show that being dishonest pays the bills and gets you the ability to teach classes.

josephpalazzo

My question here to the Discovery Institute: would you hire an atheist?

Brian37

Quote from: "josephpalazzo"My question here to the Discovery Institute: would you hire an atheist?

I'd apply to Disney World before I'd apply to the "Discovery Institute". At least Disney is honest about selling fiction.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Solitary

I agree.I've always been of the opinion that knowledge is good and ignorance is bad. I raised both of my children as Catholics for my wife with that understanding. If someone hears ignorance and is bright enough they will realize how stupid it is. Both of my middle-aged men have been atheist since they were teenagers, the oldest one came home from a religious class when he was 14 and told his mother he was never going back because it doesn't make any logical sense. He is an electronic engineer with two patents and his own company in California.

The other one quit when he was 15 and explored other religions while still believing in God, and found the Hindu religion he liked because he was next in line of being reincarnated and reaching Nirvana. This lasted about a year and then he became an atheist. He lives at home even though he is married to a woman in the Netherlands because of his very bad health from congenital scoliosis. He is a computer wiz even though he has never taken the subject, and a graphic artist who did my avatar.  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

MilitantAtheist

Reading WND is always a good way for me to reaffirm my feelings on conservatives and ensure myself that said feelings are entirely justified.

The commenters there are living, breathing monuments to abhorrent morals and mental deficiency.
If God\'s real, he sure as hell ain\'t a Red Sox fan.

Savior2006

No big surprise that World Shit Daily dredged this up. Those people are still coming to grips with the fact that Obama was born in this country. :Hangman:
It took science to do what people imagine God can do.
--ApostateLois

"The closer you are to God the further you are from the truth."
--St Giordano