World Nut Dummies falsely accuse atheists of censorship.

Started by Brian37, July 08, 2013, 06:48:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian37

Telling a science professor at a major college not to sell ID in a science class is not censorship. It is a defense of scientific FACT. The morons defending this professor at Ball State need to understand that ID IS NOT SCIENCE, and has no business being even discussed by a professor or passed of as science.

http://www.wnd.com/2013/07/atheist-grou ... -censored/
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Jason78

I love the way that those fanatics think that if evolution were to no longer exist, then the only other choice is their particular religion.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Plu

As ever, the comments are atrocious.

Also the article title doesn't match the actual content. If the prof was actually "questioning evolution" nobody would have a problem. But he isn't doing that; he's trying to preach an unproven hypothesis as truth instead. And that's scientifically problematic.

Mermaid

Quote from: "Plu"And that's scientifically problematic.
And unethical.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Brian37

Quote from: "Jason78"I love the way that those fanatics think that if evolution were to no longer exist, then the only other choice is their particular religion.

You can bitch slap idiots like this by asking them the following.

Skeptic to believer "Would you buy your own ID argument if someone with a different pet deity would argue ID too?"

So see if you can spot the pattern.

"Intelligent design proves the existence of Allah"
"Intelligent design proves the existence of Yahwey"
"Intelligent design proves the existence of Vishnu"

Not to mention how crappy this "designer" is in reality. Gives whales and dolphins separate breathing/eating  tubes, but humans can choke to death. Cockroaches and bacteria outnumber humans. A giraffe has a nerve that goes from one ear, all the way down the neck, and back up to the other ear.

Oh and as Hitchens put it about ID, "What kind of "design" is it to put an entertainment system into the middle of a sewage system?" Meaning our sex organs.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Jason78

Quote from: "Plu"As ever, the comments are atrocious.

Yeah, but so so funny :D
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

Mermaid

I wish I could find the comments funny. I find them terrifying.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

AllPurposeAtheist

Hey, it's Indiana.. what else did you expect? Ohio? :roll:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Rin Hato

I made the mistake of clicking on a link to their article on Calif. K-12 trans rights bill after reading this linked one

When are we just going to fire all the Repubs off into the sun and get this over with
Obieru kono te no naka niwa taorareta hana no yuuki.

Rin Hato

Rin Hato

I'm getting sick and tired of a vast percentage of the world calling me a mentally insane disgusting sexual deviant.

I need to go calm down, sorry.

LikelyToBreak

I have got to side with the professor and his supporters on this.  While I don't agree with ID, I do think he should be allowed to voice his views.  If we deny him the freedom of speech to espouse crazy ideas, where will it stop?  Keep in mind, during the antebellum period before the Civil War, abolitionists were denied the right to speak in many southern states.

And I don't think he will change many minds.  Not for any length of time anyway.  Those that agree will continue to agree, despite all of the evidence against.  Those who disagree will learn how to better refute these arguments.  So, it is just an airing of stupid ideas.  And we cannot stop the airing of stupid ideas, without stopping the airing of reasonable ideas.

We should be extra careful on denying the those who disagree with us their right to do so.  We are out numbered in this country by the religious and ridiculous.

Mister Agenda

It's not censorship to tell professors not to teach ID as legitimate biology any more than it is censorship to tell professors not to teach astrology as legitimate astronomy. Colleges pay professors to teach a particular subject, they are not obliged to let him or her teach a different topic. The professor's right to say what he wants when he's not getting paid for it is uninfringed. I can't teach evolution at my job, and it doesn't feel like I'm being censored, it feels like I'm expected to act like a professional.
Atheists are not anti-Christian. They are anti-stupid.--WitchSabrina

LikelyToBreak

Keep in mind, this is an elective seminar.  He is a physics professor, not a biology professor, and the seminar was approved by others.  If a biology professor wanted to have a seminar, which was approved by a board, to teach astrology, I don't see any problem with it.  If students want the course and a professor is willing to teach it, then not allowing it is an infringement on first amendment rights, IMHO.  

In other words, I may not agree with what he is teaching, but I will defend his right to teach it.  As long as the class isn't advocating violence, then it should be allowed.  Of course, I reserve the right not to take the class if I don't want it.

Plu

As long as what he's teaching is scientifically sound and an elective class, it should be ok. But I don't think any school should be required to let a professor teach a class in bullshit, no matter how much students might want it. Schools are science institutes. They should let their professors teach science while on the premises.