News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Meditation and Yoga

Started by stromboli, July 07, 2013, 10:23:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/0 ... ostpopular

Quote"Meditation more than anything in my life was the biggest ingredient of whatever success I've had." That's what Ray Dalio, the billionaire founder of Bridgewater Associates -- the world's largest hedge fund firm -- explained in 2012.

Dalio is in good company. More and more leaders in the corporate world have been taking note of the benefits of meditation, which include lower stress levels, improved cognitive functioning, creative thinking and productivity, and even improved physical health. A number of Fortune 500 companies, including Google, AOL, Apple and Aetna, offer meditation and mindfulness classes for employees -- and the top executives of many major corporations say that meditation has made them better leaders.

Ford Motor Company chairman Bill Ford and former Google.org director Larry Brilliant are also among the executives advocating the mindfulness practice. Here are 10 influential business leaders who say meditation has helped them achieve (and sustain) a high level of success.

Never been into yoga, but I do meditate on an irregular basis. I do find it beneficial and useful. I would be interested in knowing the opinions of others here.

Solitary

I did when I was younger and once in awhile since. Sometimes meditation would bring out past feelings and emotions that were not pleasant. If a person is neurotic it can make it worse. But most of the time it is beneficial, even if it brings back bad memories. I was never very well adjusted.  :wink:  Solitary

I didn't find pleasent
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

GurrenLagann

I don't do yoga, and I don't much plan to, at least not anytime soon.

I have my own sort of me-time meditation thing. Not so much the sort of stereotypical "Ohm", legs crossed meditation, and more a time I invariably set aside where I catch my breath, slow and control my breathing and think about the absurdity of things in life, and do some pondering on philosophical topics. Not sure if it's actually helpful the way that they're purporting yoga to be, but I enjoy it and I rarely don't get a sort of feeling of profundity at what I'm contemplating.

For example, I was thinking through the concept of justice today, and while it mostly left me uncertain rather than clearing things up, I felt more the better for having put some effort into trying to better understand something that most people just assume is intuitively obvious to comprehend in a - usually - black & white manner.
Which means that to me the offer of certainty, the offer of complete security, the offer of an impermeable faith that can\'t give way, is the offer of something not worth having.
[...]
Take the risk of thinking for yourself. Much more happiness, truth, beauty & wisdom, will come to you that way.
-Christopher Hitchens

Jmpty

Meditation: yes. Yoga: Never tried it, but I've heard good things from those who have.
???  ??

Aupmanyav

Quote from: "GurrenLagann"I invariably set aside where I catch my breath, slow and control my breathing and think about the absurdity of things in life, and do some pondering on philosophical topics. Not sure if it's actually helpful the way that they're purporting yoga to be, but I enjoy it and I rarely don't get a sort of feeling of profundity at what I'm contemplating.

For example, I was thinking through the concept of justice today, and while it mostly left me uncertain rather than clearing things up, I felt more the better for having put some effort into trying to better understand something that most people just assume is intuitively obvious to comprehend in a - usually - black & white manner.
That would be termed variously as 'dhyana' (concentration) and 'manana' (thinking things over). These are very much a part of yoga. If you are left uncertain, then perhaps you are not concentrating enough and not thinking things over more vigorously. Sitting cross-legged and straight will help you. Carry on. Think like you thought for a difficult question in a school or college examination. Examine all aspects of the question (total awareness :)).
"Brahma Satyam Jagan-mithya" (Brahman is the truth, the observed is an illusion)
"Sarve Khalu Idam Brahma" (All this here is Brahman)

stromboli

My very Mormon father, the few times I met him, told me there was value in meditation. I learned from an early age the value of a meditative mind, especially in coping with stress. It is useful and it does work.

GurrenLagann

Quote from: "Aupmanyav"That would be termed variously as 'dhyana' (concentration) and 'manana' (thinking things over). These are very much a part of yoga. If you are left uncertain, then perhaps you are not concentrating enough and not thinking things over more vigorously. Sitting cross-legged and straight will help you. Carry on. Think like you thought for a difficult question in a school or college examination. Examine all aspects of the question (total awareness :)).

You misunderstand me. When I said it made me more uncertain, I meant with regard to what people mean when they talk about justice, and whether or not when they do it's bullshit revenge dressed up in fine clothing. It's from examining all the aspects (that I could think of anyway) that got me there. :) Thanks.
Which means that to me the offer of certainty, the offer of complete security, the offer of an impermeable faith that can\'t give way, is the offer of something not worth having.
[...]
Take the risk of thinking for yourself. Much more happiness, truth, beauty & wisdom, will come to you that way.
-Christopher Hitchens

GSOgymrat

I had never experienced yoga but signed up two weeks ago with a Groupon. I've had two sessions with two different instructors. The first session was a real workout-- we moved very quickly from pose to pose, lots of abdominal work and I was sweating profusely. The second session was more what I thought yoga would be-- more breathing, holding poses, using proper alignment. I benefited more from the second instructor than the first because I already do Crossfit training and I don't need that kind of workout.

I use informal meditation and find it very helpful, particularly with anxiety. I want to learn more about meditation, yoga and mindfulness.

Voskhod

I'm constantly in a state of meditation. I just like to call it 'thinking while doing stuff' is all.
[size=100]
"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." -H.P. Lovecraft
[/size][/b]

AllPurposeAtheist

I only do the text version.. Ohmmmmm ohmmmmmmm ohmmmmmm ohmmmmmm.. There.. I feel better. :)
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Solitary

Quote from: "GurrenLagann"
Quote from: "Aupmanyav"That would be termed variously as 'dhyana' (concentration) and 'manana' (thinking things over). These are very much a part of yoga. If you are left uncertain, then perhaps you are not concentrating enough and not thinking things over more vigorously. Sitting cross-legged and straight will help you. Carry on. Think like you thought for a difficult question in a school or college examination. Examine all aspects of the question (total awareness :)).

You misunderstand me. When I said it made me more uncertain, I meant with regard to what people mean when they talk about justice, and whether or not when they do it's bullshit revenge dressed up in fine clothing. It's from examining all the aspects (that I could think of anyway) that got me there. :) Thanks.

I have always thought as far back as I can remember that there is no justice, only injustice, and that justice is just a word for retribution to make it seem right. But I'd still like to see someone slit OJ's throat.  :shock:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Mermaid

I recently took a meditation (vipassana) and yoga (hatha) class. While I found the meditation a good thing to learn, it isn't for me much. The yoga, however, is awesome. It was kind of an epiphany for me, it's like giving yourself permission to quit thinking and just pay attention to yourself and your body. I have had some pretty bad times over the last three years professionally, and I was at the end of my wick around Christmas. This class (and a little therapy) really helped me understand a bit about why.

I have not practiced yoga in weeks but really need to get back into it, I have been feeling really stressed out and maybe even a little depressed lately. It also makes me feel so good about my body and what it is capable of. I am pretty stretchy and strong, more than I thought! :)
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Colanth

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"I only do the text version.. Ohmmmmm ohmmmmmmm ohmmmmmm ohmmmmmm..
Resistance is textual.

Seriously, things like yoga are for those who can't produce the mental effects of meditation without using the nonsense.  The equivalent is that religion is for those who can't be good people without the nonsense.  Some people don't need the nonsensical trappings to do whatever.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

stromboli

At my age, yoga would probably put me in traction.

Aupmanyav

You mean postures, 'hatha yoga'.
Quote from: "GurrenLagann"When I said it made me more uncertain, I meant with regard to what people mean when they talk about justice, and whether or not when they do it's bullshit revenge dressed up in fine clothing.
:) With better thinking, this veil also can be penetrated.
Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"I only do the text version.. Ohmmmmm ohmmmmmmm ohmmmmmm ohmmmmmm..
It is more like O~m (remove the 'h', leave it for Physics). :)
Quote from: "Mermaid"I have not practiced yoga in weeks but really need to get back into it, I have been feeling really stressed out and maybe even a little depressed lately. It also makes me feel so good about my body and what it is capable of. I am pretty stretchy and strong, more than I thought! :)
Do that, even if for a short time, five minute sessions (after you get the hang of it, any time, any place).
Quote from: "Colanth"Some people don't need the nonsensical trappings to do whatever.
Who said nonsensical trappings are necessary. 'Om' is a nice sound, beginning or concluding, that is why all Indian religions use it (hinduism, jainism, buddhism, and sikhism). Sort of 'organic'.
"Brahma Satyam Jagan-mithya" (Brahman is the truth, the observed is an illusion)
"Sarve Khalu Idam Brahma" (All this here is Brahman)