doubting Darwin's doubt.

Started by Jutter, July 07, 2013, 09:38:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jutter

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/e ... doubt.html
Discovery Institute's Stephen Meyer's been at it again. Gareth Cook of the NY Times gives it a critical look.

" The problem for Meyer is that what has come to be called the Cambrian explosion was not, in fact, an explosion. It took place over tens of millions of years"

"It turns out that many of the major gaps that Meyer identifies are the result of his misleading rearrangement of the tree."

"Most absurd of all is the book's stance on knowledge: if something cannot be fully explained by today's science—and there is plenty about the Cambrian, and the universe, that cannot—then we should assume it is fundamentally beyond explanation, and therefore the work of a supreme deity.
"
No religion for me thank you very much; I 'm full of shit enough as it is.

Being flabbergasted about existence never made anyone disappear in a poof of flabbergas, so nevermind why we're here. We ARE here.

Hijiri Byakuren

I read that as "Stephenie Meyer" at first.

Good to see someone taking on creationists in a more public forum. Hopefully it'll become a thing.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Gawdzilla Sama

When I see a creationist publication I don't wonder if they're lying about something. I just wonder what it is they're lying about.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

josephpalazzo

Best line: "But do not underestimate "Darwin's Doubt": it is a masterwork of pseudoscience. "

Solitary

Why are some smart people so dumb? The problem is they can be logical, but that ability does not habitually manifest itself. The likelihood is that it has not been properly developed, pointing to a deficiency in their education. Logic is the backbone of a true education, and yet is seldom taught as such in American schools. And even when it is taught it is based on Aristotle logic that is flawed to support religion.

When children are raised to think illogically with magical, or caveman thinking, it is hard for them to think logically all the time as an adult. This is what religion teaches, and it is a crime in my opinion to teach children to believe in that type of thinking when they are no longer children. Sooner or later children have to grow up or have a very rude awakening if they learn to think correctly on every subject, including religion and its superstitious nonsense.  8-)  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.