Circumcision altering penis flora may reduce HIV suscept.

Started by drunkenshoe, July 06, 2013, 12:34:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drunkenshoe

Circumcision Changes Penis Bacteria Ecosystem, May Explain Lower HIV Risk

QuoteBy: Stephanie Pappas, LiveScience Senior Writer
Published: 04/16/2013 08:07 AM EDT on LiveScience

Circumcision changes the bacteria ecosystem of the penis, perhaps explaining why the foreskin-snipping procedure reduces the risk of HIV infection, a new study finds.

A year after men received circumcisions, the total bacterial load in the area that used to be under the foreskin dropped significantly, researchers report today (April 16) in the journal mBio. Anaerobic bacteria, which thrive in limited oxygen, declined most dramatically. Some aerobic bacteria, which need oxygen to live, increased.

"It's dramatic," study researcher Lance Price, a genetic epidemiologist at George Washington University in Washington, D.C, said in a statement. "From an ecological perspective, it's like rolling back a rock and seeing the ecosystem change." [5 Things You Didn't Know About Circumcision]

Circumcision's effects

Circumcision in the United States is usually done within the first few days of life. It's a controversial procedure, with some scientists and anti-circumcision advocates arguing that the removal of the foreskin reduces sexual sensitivity. Studies on adults who are circumcised later in life have found little to no difference, but many of those men are circumcised for medical reasons, confusing the issue.

Circumcision does carry some health benefits, leading the American Academy of Pediatrics to conclude in 2012 that the benefits outweigh the risks. The organization recommends parents making the decision for their children after discussing it with their pediatricians.

Among the most intriguing benefits of circumcision is the finding that circumcised men are less likely to contract HIV, the virus that causes AIDS. A 2005 study of South African men found that circumcised men who had sex with an HIV-positive woman were 63 percent less likely than uncircumcised men to contract the virus. Circumcision has also been shown to reduce the risk of contracting HPV, or human papillomavirus, which can cause cervical cancer if a man infects his female partners with the virus, and herpes simplex virus type 2, better known as genital herpes.

In the new study of men circumcised as adults in Uganda, Price and his colleagues found less biodiversity in the microbes, or microbiome, living in the now foreskin-free area of the penis. The bacterial die-off may be a good thing, Price said, because some of the species that decline are known to cause inflammation.

Cellular changes

It's possible that the pre-circumcision bacteria activate immune cells in the skin called Langerhans cells, which then respond to HIV by presenting them to the immune system's helper T cells; these helper cells typically coordinate a defensive immune response. Unfortunately, HIV has evolved to thrive and reproduce inside helper T cells, so Langerhans cells that present the virus to the immune system make infection more likely, not less. However, it's still unknown whether Langerhans cells are the culprit behind HIV infection in uncircumcised men. The researchers plan to follow up to explore this possibility.

If they succeed, it won't necessarily mean that every man should get circumcised.

"The work that we're doing, by potentially revealing the underlying biological mechanisms, could reveal alternatives to circumcision that would have the same biological impact," Price said. "In other words, if we find that it's a group of anaerobes that are increasing the risk for HIV, we can find alternative ways to bring down those anaerobes."

Voskhod

Not a very appealing combination of words, especially when used as a header/title. Just saying.
[size=100]
"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." -H.P. Lovecraft
[/size][/b]

The Skeletal Atheist

The reason I heard for circumcision reducing the risk of HIV infection from one doctor was that the foreskin could act as a sort of...um...receptacle for the various sex juices, thus keeping them on the penis longer and increasing the risk of infection.
Some people need to be beaten with a smart stick.

Kein Mehrheit Fur Die Mitleid!

Kein Mitlied F�r Die Mehrheit!

GurrenLagann

Yeah, the title is a bit misleading given the article. That's the kind of thing that gets Christians sayimg, "Hah, you see! God!"
Which means that to me the offer of certainty, the offer of complete security, the offer of an impermeable faith that can\'t give way, is the offer of something not worth having.
[...]
Take the risk of thinking for yourself. Much more happiness, truth, beauty & wisdom, will come to you that way.
-Christopher Hitchens

Solitary

That seems to be obvious to me that one should get circumcised for health reasons, for the man and any partners. They needed a study to know what is obvious from a health or biology class.  :roll: Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Johan

I think I'd still say that avoiding unprotected sex with non-monogamous partners is probably a better way to avoid HIV than getting your foreskin removed. But the data seems interesting in that it could give additional insight into how HIV spreads. Assuming of course that the 2005 study in question effectively accounted for any potential culture factors involved in the study group which may have skewed the results.
Religion is regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false and by the rulers as useful

aitm

oh lordy, me thinks this thread is about to be blown up......*looks around*   8-[
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Agramon

Quote from: "GurrenLagann"Yeah, the title is a bit misleading given the article. That's the kind of thing that gets Christians sayimg, "Hah, you see! God!"
He instated circumcision thousands of years before HIV (probably) made the jump to humans just to make sure we'd be ready!
"And, tricked by our own early dream
And need of solace, we grew self-deceived,
Our making soon our maker did we deem,
And what we had imagined we believed."
- Thomas Hardy

Jason78

Quote from: "Johan"I think I'd still say that avoiding unprotected sex with non-monogamous partners is probably a better way to avoid HIV than getting your foreskin removed. But the data seems interesting in that it could give additional insight into how HIV spreads. Assuming of course that the 2005 study in question effectively accounted for any potential culture factors involved in the study group which may have skewed the results.

I've found that having my left arm removed prevents me from slamming my left hand in a car door.
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato

the_antithesis

I don't want Flora on my penis. She charges too much for that. :(

Agramon

More interestingly, the different bacterial flora may change the flavor of the penis, but more data is required. Any taste testing volunteers?
"And, tricked by our own early dream
And need of solace, we grew self-deceived,
Our making soon our maker did we deem,
And what we had imagined we believed."
- Thomas Hardy

Shiranu

Quote from: "aitm"oh lordy, me thinks this thread is about to be blown up......*looks around*   8-[

It looks like it may get past page 1. I'm not entirely sure what is going on in here...

Edit: Awwww shiete, yes it did.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur