Proof that life didn't originate on Earth?

Started by Voskhod, July 05, 2013, 05:14:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Voskhod

I think the above image says all that needs to be said.
Did life originate elsewhere, and then come to be delivered to Earth via asteroid(s)? The genome size of all life on Earth says yes, apparently. Discuss.
[size=100]
"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." -H.P. Lovecraft
[/size][/b]

LikelyToBreak

Excuse me.  But, I think the above post needs edited before we can discuss it.

Voskhod

[size=100]
"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." -H.P. Lovecraft
[/size][/b]

Gawdzilla Sama

QuoteError (403)
It seems you don't belong here! You should probably sign in. Check out our Help Center and forums for help, or head back to home
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Voskhod

Bah, faulty damn Dropbox...I'll try a public image hosting server. Apparently only I can see it.

Edit: Should work now.
[size=100]
[/size][/b]

Gawdzilla Sama

I can see the image. I can say it doesn't say it all. Not to me anyway. First off, why is it a straight line?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Voskhod

That would be the average genome size based on the points on the graph.
[size=100]
[/size][/b]

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: "Voskhod"That would be the average genome size based on the points on the graph.
Let me guess, you think everything left of that line originated off the planet?
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

PZ Myers

Voskhod

Quote from: "Gawdzilla Sama"
Quote from: "Voskhod"That would be the average genome size based on the points on the graph.

Well, I honestly can't see any other explanation for how the most primitive and basic of life-forms on Earth, the early Prokaryotes, somehow started off with a (comparatively) extremely developed genome, rather than building it from the ground-up - something that, when based on the progressive development of the most advanced life form's genome size at the time, would have taken much longer than 3.8 billion years to develop.
[size=100]
[/size][/b]

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: "Voskhod"
Quote from: "Gawdzilla Sama"

Well, I honestly can't see any other explanation for how the most primitive and basic of life-forms on Earth, the early Prokaryotes, somehow started off with a (comparatively) extremely developed genome, rather than building it from the ground-up - something that, when based on the progressive development of the most advanced life form's genome size at the time, would have taken much longer than 3.8 billion years to develop.
How developed do you think a singled-celled organism is?
PZ Myers

Voskhod

In terms of their genome size, quite a lot.
And, honestly, on a physical scale they could be even more simple. They're rather complex with their channel proteins and pili, ribosomes, flagellum in use for locomotion, primitive immune systems that use digestive enzymes to ward off viruses, cell walls, plasma membranes, etc etc...
There's a lot of ways you could simplify even the most already-simplified Prokaryotes and Archaeobacteria, from what I can tell. You can see this clearly in form of, say, viruses - which themselves can be further simplified through various means.
[size=100]
[/size][/b]

Brian37

Quote from: "Voskhod"[ Image ]

Did life originate elsewhere, and then come to be delivered to Earth via asteroid(s)? The genome size of all life on Earth says yes, apparently. Discuss.

Yes and no.

The INDIVIDUAL atoms that make up DNA can be found in other material that, when separate, are as plentiful as any other atom in the universe. But no, there was certainly no intelligent master playing a game of cosmic billiards planting life here.

Life manifested here because of multiple input, like snow starts and  piles up not because it is snow, but conditions based on multiple factors. We are an outcome of multiple factors, not a cognition or little green men.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Voskhod

Quote from: "Brian37"
Quote from: "Voskhod"[ Image ]

Yes and no.

The INDIVIDUAL atoms that make up DNA can be found in other material that, when separate, are as plentiful as any other atom in the universe. But no, there was certainly no intelligent master playing a game of cosmic billiards planting life here.

Life manifested here because of multiple input, like snow starts and  piles up not because it is snow, but conditions based on multiple factors. We are an outcome of multiple factors, not a cognition or little green men.

Never said anything about little green men, intelligent design, cognition, or any of that.
I'm just saying that this evidence appears to support the idea of Exogenesis/Panspermia.
(Would also explain why the first life was Extremophiles - since only they'd be able to survive the vacuum of space during the asteroid hitchhiking ride to get here.)
[size=100]
[/size][/b]

PickelledEggs

My view on this, only going by the minimal bit I know about the beginning of life, is:

It was most likely origionated by the primordial ooze formed by the basic elements earth started with....

as seen in the experiment that is crudely illustrated (but not really explained) by this picture, but is a bit explained in the site that it came fromhere.

As for coming from a different planet? I guess that would be possible, being that the life / the makings of life survived the entry of the atmosphere / there was no atmosphere to burn up in. I know that scientists discovered bacteria that can survive in space, so why not?