News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Birds indicate a planet in peril

Started by Smartmarzipan, June 20, 2013, 02:55:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smartmarzipan

Birds indicate a planet in peril, but investing in conservation makes economic sense
http://www.birdlife.org/community/2013/ ... mic-sense/

QuoteThe status of the world's birds continues to get worse with many species slipping towards extinction and others in steep decline. Birds are facing threats on many fronts but habitat destruction and degradation, owing to changes in agriculture, as well as direct impacts from invasive species are the major causes. However, birds also provide a lens through which we can view all nature.
"Birds provide an accurate and easy to read environmental barometer that allows us to see clearly the pressures our current way of life are putting on the world's biodiversity", said Dr Leon Bennun, BirdLife's Director of Science, Information and Policy.

I have always found the study of Aves to be incredibly fascinating. Ornithology had made some incredible breakthroughs in the fields of biology and ecology. Many people overlook them, but birds are a vast treasury of data. I mean, they're the descendants of dinosaurs and their DNA has even provided great insights into the world of evolutionary theory. :)
Legi, Intellexi, Condemnavi.

"Religion is the human response to being alive and having to die." ~Anon

Inter arma enim silent leges

Solitary

This with climate change is very disturbing because it is based on facts. It is the very reason I started a botanical garden and certified wildlife habitat in my back yard. It's also disturbing that so many young people (16-30) read the signs posted and ask me what a habitat is. Over population is the root cause of all the other problems we have in the world, and the Church still thinks contraception that prevents abortions and VD is wrong, while some Christians belong to the Quiver Society having as many children that they can have. I really feel bad for the children of today who are going to be in a living hell, if not already in other parts of the world, and here, because our leaders and their parents stupidity and ignorance thinking God will take care of them and the world if they just pray hard enough.  :roll:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

jenluvsjere

I agree with Solitary, I think overpopulation is a huge problem for other species. Not only is climate change making it more difficult for birds to adapt but also habitat destruction is displacing them. If the habitat is destroyed then the food sources may decline, leading to a lot of displaced animals. Unfortunately many of those species may not be able to adapt to the environments in which they will be forced to live. Many people forget that it's not simply the space for our population to live, but also only a certain percentage of the land on earth is suitable for farming. As the population increases, the amount of land necessary to sustain food sources is going to increase. Therefore, you have more demand for farming land and more demand for space to house the population. I think it is tragic that many people, particularly some of the pro-lifers, don't see overpopulation as an issue.

Colanth

Quote from: "jenluvsjere"I think it is tragic that many people, particularly some of the pro-lifers, don't see overpopulation as an issue.
The attitude of many (most?) pro-lifers is "God will provide".  He did - he gave us the ability to analyze the effect that current actions have on the future.  Unfortunately, like the guy who died in the flood, most people who rely on God don't get into the boat he sends them.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.