10 Awkward Facts About the 10 Commandments

Started by stromboli, July 04, 2013, 01:30:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

http://www.skepticink.com/incredulous/2 ... mandments/

Quote10. There aren't ten. And there is no agreement on which ten of the many are "the" ten. The phrase "ten commandments" appears in Exodus 34 and in Deuteronomy 10, which is a reference but not a list. The strange thing is that the line about Moses writing on the (new) tablets "the ten commandments" is preceded by a list of totally different orders, such as "you shall keep the feast of the unleavened bread". The familiar list is given earlier in Exodus 20, except that it is never there called "the Ten Commandments" and there is no mention of tablets until 11 chapters and 600-some commandments later. Also, Exodus 20 gives thirteen specific orders, not ten. The same list is repeated in Deuteronomy 5, yet again not called "Ten Commandments". Wikipedia offers this helpful table showing how seven different Abrahamic faiths carve up the "Ten Commandments
".

Quote9. The First Amendment of the US Constitution is a requirement to break the First Commandment. Or, at least to create a society based on doing so. Cherishing the founding fathers and the Constitution means openly endorsing the right of every person to blatantly violate God's numero uno law. Awkward, if you think the Godly Commandments are the moral basis of rightful behavior a la murder, lying and so on.

And so on. the site is slow in loading, so be patient.

Colanth

You almost sound like someone who thinks that Christianity is based on the Bible. :)  It's no surprise that what Christianity says and what the Bible says are only distantly related at best.  (Besides, aren't the "10 Commandments" part of the "old covenant", and therefore of no concern to Christianity?)
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Jelly Penutbutter

Acording to the preists at my parents church "one is to follow even the Old Testemant"
-JP

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: "Jelly Penutbutter"Acording to the preists at my parents church "one is to follow even the Old Testemant"
Ask the priests if sassy children should be put to death. Or if they wear clothes made of two different kinds of cloth. Ask them if slavery is okay with them. Ask them if it's okay to murder children. You can find justification for all those and more in The Bronze Age Goat-herders' Anthology of Campfire Tales for Boys: God's Little Instruction Manual for Handling Slaves, Sex Slaves, Kitchen Help, Naughty Offspring, Babysitters and the Soon-to-be-extinct Tribes Next Door. Now with The Egomanical Hippie and His All-Boy Posse Hang Out in Palestine.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Jelly Penutbutter

If people really knew what was in the "good book" there would most likely be a social movement of the masses abandoning their religion! Or it would bolster the people's want to follow ever bit of their texts.
-JP

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: "Jelly Penutbutter"If people really knew what was in the "good book" there would most likely be a social movement of the masses abandoning their religion! Or it would bolster the people's want to follow ever bit of their texts.
You can tell them, they won't listen. Willful ignorance requires selective listening.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Jelly Penutbutter

So they should be fine with me aquiring several virgins to be my sex slaves, and if they bitch I'll just say it's god's will.
-JP

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: "Jelly Penutbutter"So they should be fine with me aquiring several virgins to be my sex slaves, and if they bitch I'll just say it's god's will.
Don't forget to kill all their male relatives so there won't be any payback.
PZ Myers

Jelly Penutbutter

But first I must stone the women who are un-married and not virgins!
-JP

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: "Jelly Penutbutter"But first I must stone the women who are un-married and not virgins!
The fun part is figuring out which ones those are.  8-)
PZ Myers

AllPurposeAtheist

I can no longer argue with these stupid motherfuckers about 'their personal god' AS IF they have one locked up in a storage bin somewhere to serve THEM only upon command. I tell them they're still going to hell for getting a haircut or wearing polyester and cotton or....

"MOTHERFUCKER! DON'T BE TALKIN SHIT ABOUT NO MUTHAFUCKIN GOD!"

Ok, whatever motherfucker.. :roll:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Colanth

Quote from: "Jelly Penutbutter"So they should be fine with me aquiring several virgins to be my sex slaves, and if they bitch I'll just say it's god's will.
Bad example.  If you have a problem finding willing sex slaves in this day and age, you're doing something wrong.  (Even the "virgin" part isn't that difficult.)
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

ApostateLois

Quote from: "Jelly Penutbutter"Acording to the preists at my parents church "one is to follow even the Old Testemant"

Awesome! I'm gonna buy my slaves from Canada.
"Now we see through a glass dumbly." ~Crow, MST3K #903, "Puma Man"