How Fast Are You Moving Through Time?

Started by Solitary, July 04, 2013, 08:49:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solitary

:evil:
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

GurrenLagann

Which means that to me the offer of certainty, the offer of complete security, the offer of an impermeable faith that can\'t give way, is the offer of something not worth having.
[...]
Take the risk of thinking for yourself. Much more happiness, truth, beauty & wisdom, will come to you that way.
-Christopher Hitchens

stromboli

Our perception of time is experiential. At a young age we constantly encounter new experiences, so time seems to move at a slower pace. As we age those experiences diminish, so we dismiss them as occurring. In old age you tend to think back of your experiences over long segments of time, rather than as moments- all of which makes time seem to move faster. And as such, you become more aware of its passage in older age.

Solitary

Voskhod

FUN FACT:

Objects closer to a field of gravity experience time slower than those exposed to a lower gravity field.
The best way to "measure" how fast one "travels" through time would be to see how fast time passes in a literal 0-gravity vacuum, like that in deep-space. The value of the rate of time in said literal 0-gravity environment would be the base and be labeled as 1 - Whereas objects inside a gravity field would be measured on a scale between 0 and 1; Earth, just as a random guess, would probably be 0.995538953 or something like that while the area inside a black hole would be a hypothetical 0.00000001, if not a true 0 - or maybe even a negative number if time starts going backwards inside black holes like some theorize.
[size=100]
"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." -H.P. Lovecraft
[/size][/b]

Jmpty

I like doughnuts, no matter what time it is!
???  ??

Solitary

Valigarmander

I'm currently traveling at a rate of approximately one second per second.

PickelledEggs

I have a hard time wrapping my head around this:

Space and time are both spacial dimensions. As you move through space and the faster you go, the more time slows down. Even us sitting at our computers right now are moving not just through the time dimension (the 4th) but also the first 3.

Is there a range of time during the day where we move faster through spacetime? because of the combined movement of orbit + rotation?

Jelly Penutbutter

Well, in my science textbook, the Earth rotates at 1,600km/h and revolves around the sun at 36,000Km/h
-JP

Solitary

Solitary

Solitary

Seabear

You are already moving thru space-time at the speed of light. Explained, with diagrams:
http://www.relativity.li/en/epstein2/read/c0_en/c1_en/
"There is a saying in the scientific community, that every great scientific truth goes through three phases. First, people deny it. Second, they say it conflicts with the Bible. Third, they say they knew it all along."

- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Solitary