News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Near death experiences.

Started by PickelledEggs, July 03, 2013, 06:45:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PickelledEggs

I have tried to explain this to so many people that say near death experiences are a piece of evidence of afterlife as well as god. I finally went out of my way to find a reference to what hallucinations are going on in your head.

Can I coin the phrase "trauma tripping"?

//http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=peace-of-mind-near-death

Plu

If they were evidence of something real, you'd expect them to be the same around the world.

Of course, instead everyone just sees what they want to see.

Gawdzilla Sama

I've flat-lined at least 3 times, and woke up with paddle burns often enough to consider having "DO NOT RESUSCITATE!" tattoed on my chest. Never saw any white light. And if I saw dead relatives beckoning I'd head in the other direction very fast.

(I wonder if Voldemort wants a traveling companion?)
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

Over the years, science has explained thunder and lightening, motion of celestial bodies, origin of species, structure of the solar system, the shape of the Earth.  It continually intrudes on religion's most precious explanations for common events.  Over and over, science drives home the importance of investigation, before explanation.  Yet religion remains unable to restrain itself from issuing thoughtless proclamations derived out of thin air by ignorant leaders and snake oil salesmen.

Sometimes after hundreds of years, religion reluctantly accepts scientific explanations, but it keeps missing the real lesson,... that its own process of explanation through mindless wishful thinking sheds no light, but keeps mankind in the dark.  It cannot break out of its habit of intellectual sloth.  Instead, it glorifies its lack of methodology as superior and infallible, and continues to institutionalize stupidity as a divine gift.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: "SGOS"Over the years, science has explained thunder and lightening, motion of celestial bodies, origin of species, structure of the solar system, the shape of the Earth.  It continually intrudes on religion's most precious explanations for common events.  Over and over, science drives home the importance of investigation, before explanation.  Yet religion remains unable to restrain itself from issuing thoughtless proclamations derived out of thin air by ignorant leaders and snake oil salesmen.

Sometimes after hundreds of years, religion reluctantly accepts scientific explanations, but it keeps missing the real lesson,... that its own process of explanation through mindless wishful thinking sheds no light, but keeps mankind in the dark.  It cannot break out of its habit of intellectual sloth.  Instead, it glorifies its lack of methodology as superior and infallible, and continues to institutionalize stupidity as a divine gift.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Brian37

Quote from: "PickelledEggs"I have tried to explain this to so many people that say near death experiences are a piece of evidence of afterlife as well as god. I finally went out of my way to find a reference to what hallucinations are going on in your head.

Can I coin the phrase "trauma tripping"?

//http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=peace-of-mind-near-death

I fucking hate people using "NDE" as proof of a god. No, what is happening is like you said, it is trauma and evolutionary biology in the brain shutting down. It would be like taking a filing cabinet and dumping out all the folders at once(your neurons firing all at the same time hitting your visual and audio cortex.) It is like an old TV where you turn it off and the picture fades out into a tiny dot and disappears.

There is no magic to life. Once your brain dies you die, PERIOD!
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Solitary

=D>  A terrific posts guys! Thank you! Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Mai Mariarti

When I died, I ended up in Hell!
I asked "Why am I here?"
God said; "Because you were an atheist and didn't believe in me".
You say you created me in your image, so how could I be wrong, I asked?
Maybe your design or the soul you gave me sucked? Who do I see to sue you for damages?
Then, suddenly and without notice, I was sent back to earth and was told; "You have a big mouth, Hell is too good for you. Go back and live with the other human idiots. you don't deserve hell!"

Life is like a candle, when it burns out, it's lights out.

Brian37

QuoteLife is like a candle, when it burns out, it's lights out.

Even more succinct than Macbeth Act 5 scene 5.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

AllPurposeAtheist

Every day is nearer to death.. Yesterday I had a near death experience.. I've aged 1 day since and now 1 day nearer to death. We can play with these fucking words all day and in the end we've done nothing, but played a word game and of course gotten nearer to death.. :shock:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

PickelledEggs

Quote from: "Mai Mariarti"When I died, I ended up in Hell!
I asked "Why am I here?"
God said; "Because you were an atheist and didn't believe in me".
You say you created me in your image, so how could I be wrong, I asked?
Maybe your design or the soul you gave me sucked? Who do I see to sue you for damages?
Then, suddenly and without notice, I was sent back to earth and was told; "You have a big mouth, Hell is too good for you. Go back and live with the other human idiots. you don't deserve hell!"

Life is like a candle, when it burns out, it's lights out.
If I die and it turns out that the christians are right and I end up in hell, I'm going to turn to Satan and say...

stromboli

I was in a coma for 4 days a long time ago. No lights, nothing. I totally feel cheated.

Solitary

I had an experience of being seconds away from sure death. At first I felt a wave of fear go through me, then when I knew for sure I was going to be dead in seconds I panicked and told myself to think, then I felt an awful dread and had what appeared as an out of body experience that saved my life. It was my mind playing tricks on me because my brain was sending all the blood to vital organs and survival centers in my brain that made time slow way down and all fear vanish as well as sound and feelings.

When I had a severe laceration from shrapnel in my right fore arm I initially had surgery with no anesthesia to stop the bleeding of two main arteries and locate loose tendons and clamp them together. I went into shock from loss of blood and again had an out of body experience. Another time I did die clinically in two or three times in operations and I didn't experience anything what-so-ever.

I've had deep vein thrombosis two times, two in my left calf, and many in my right calf that went to my lungs---usually fatal 20 percent of the time. The second time I came within 20-30 of dying, the emergency room doctor told me. I was walking in my back yard and felt great---all of a sudden things started to look funny then psychedelic and I felt really strange all over as well as my blood feeling cold going through my veins. I knew I wasn't getting oxygen to my brain so sat down and kept breathing deeply.

As I sat looking at my fountain in the yard my vision vanish---it wasn't seeing black---it just didn't exist. Then my hearing stopped. It was just me alone experiencing only my thoughts breathing deeply. I finally manage to get to my house and lay down on my back and yell for help. A large blood clot went through my heart and made it unstable as it went to my lungs and brain shutting off oxygen.

One day I noticed the vision in my left eye was loosing contrast, I went on my computer to play a video game and when I went to get up I kept falling until I hit the ground in a full fledge panic attack which is a living hell. I found out I had a pituitary adenoma next to my brain pressing on my optic nerve and one artery shutting off blood.

Accept for the laceration to my arm I never felt any pain at all. I'm not afraid of death at all--switch on---switch off (or my favorite: candle is lit candle goes out), but the trip, or thinking about it, can be scary, terrifying, or even horrifying, because our bodies take over as we are a spectator.  Non of the above is recommended to say the least. I'm just glad I'm alive and have medicine to help my PTSD. Anyone who says: "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger" is a delusional idiot.  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Aupmanyav

Quote from: "Brian37"It is like an old TV where you turn it off and the picture fades out into a tiny dot and disappears. There is no magic to life.
Is that not magic? :)
Quote from: "stromboli"I was in a coma for 4 days a long time ago. No lights, nothing. I totally feel cheated.
Coma is not NDE or death. Don't fret, by grace of God you will get it.
"Brahma Satyam Jagan-mithya" (Brahman is the truth, the observed is an illusion)
"Sarve Khalu Idam Brahma" (All this here is Brahman)

Plu

Not for any useful definition of the word, no :P