Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Anime Thread!

Started by Notthesun, July 03, 2013, 05:17:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

<Carried over from another thread>

Quote from: GSOgymrat on October 29, 2018, 09:36:23 AM
I know nothing about anime. I think the only anime show or movie I have ever seen is Battle of the Planets back in the 70's.
A lot has changed since then!

Disclaimer:  I'm about to generalize heavily and this is based on US offerings, so take what I'm saying with a HUGE grain of salt.  And yes, there are plenty of outliers that buck this trend, but imo, the below applies fairly accurately to the bulk of them.

Compared to anime from the 70s/80s, current anime has changed quite a bit.  A more distinct "anime" character design (gigantic eyes, smaller noses, colored hair, more youthful/rounded faces with simple features, etc), and more of a polished/glossy look throughout.  Animation quality has of course improved greatly as technology and budgets have improved a lot over the years.

Shonen (anime aimed at teenage boys) dominates, mostly revolving around action/adventure stories where good characters fight evil ones, usually with sci-fi or supernatural elements.  Superpowers and fanservice abound.  Also, high schools are suspiciously prominent.  In addition to Shonen, there's also a lot of comedy or horror anime out now, so your experience can range wildly from saccharine cuteness to dark and disturbing artwork - sometimes within the same series. *shudders*

Overall, I think it has simultaneously improved greatly (branching out from something that was just for young kids to a bunch of different genres, many with very serious themes and enjoyable by adult audiences as well as teens) and degenerated (clichéd and inbred to the point that I can compare/contrast any two current anime series chosen at random and find few substantial differences, Sturgeon's Law is definitely out in force due in part to the huge number of series)

Hydra009

Baruch

I started with Astro Boy before 1970.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Mr.Obvious

Mob Psycho 100 is back for it's second season.

Just watched ep 1.

happy

Also watched 'Goblin Slayer'.
First episode was not good. But it kind of grew on me after. It can be quite funny. And creative.
Bit too heavy on the fanservice for me though. Nothing wrong with hentai, but I don't need it in a story I'm trying to follow.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Mr.Obvious

Mob psycho 100 season 2 continues to amaze.

Might be my favorite anime of all time, if this keeps up.

And if i disregard my own opinion that atla is anime.

Cavebear

I liked the "old anime" style best. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Mr.Obvious

Watching the english dub for Ghost Stories.

Ghost Stories wasn't well received in Japan, where it was a horror-supernatural (but I'm guessing still kid-oriented) show.

The english dub flipped the script and turned it into a dark comedy.

I never saw the original, so I'm not sure how much they changed. But I appreciate it all the same.

Apparently they made the youngest kid brain-damaged, one of the girls a born-again-christian and other stuff like that.

Not every joke lands with me, but it's funny overal. And I appreciate the creativity of such a project.

Draconic Aiur

Waiting for new serieses to come all out so I can marathon.

Quote from: Cavebear on March 01, 2019, 10:09:03 AM
I liked the "old anime" style best. 

Old anime feels rushed.

Cavebear

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on March 01, 2019, 07:58:01 PM
Watching the english dub for Ghost Stories.

Ghost Stories wasn't well received in Japan, where it was a horror-supernatural (but I'm guessing still kid-oriented) show.

The english dub flipped the script and turned it into a dark comedy.

I never saw the original, so I'm not sure how much they changed. But I appreciate it all the same.

Apparently they made the youngest kid brain-damaged, one of the girls a born-again-christian and other stuff like that.

Not every joke lands with me, but it's funny overal. And I appreciate the creativity of such a project.

I thought 'Ghost In The Machine' was more than a children's show.  There were ethical considerations, and the characters seemed adult.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Cavebear on March 04, 2019, 02:19:16 AM
I thought 'Ghost In The Machine' was more than a children's show.  There were ethical considerations, and the characters seemed adult.

I never watched that. Is it good?

Also, is it 'ghost in the Shell'?

Baruch

Like the intro music.  It resembles folk Bulgarian chorus ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebkGo-nUPhk

A remake of the Pygmalion story from ancient Cyprus.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on March 04, 2019, 02:32:04 AM
I never watched that. Is it good?

Also, is it 'ghost in the Shell'?

Yes, My apologies.  I mis-rembered the title.  I had to look it up to be sure.  It was very subtle in some ways at least in the US version. 

Draconic Aiur

So from learning Japanese history I can say most anime that has western ethnic are racist and harbor ill feelings for opening Japan to the world in the mid 19th century.

Baruch

I don't mind racism ... everyone is doing it.  I know that Japanese people are among the most racist on Earth.  And I love them anyway.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on March 08, 2019, 05:51:38 PM
So from learning Japanese history I can say most anime that has western ethnic are racist and harbor ill feelings for opening Japan to the world in the mid 19th century.

But it is produced in Japan primarily for a Japanese audience.  So don't blame TROTW for that.