News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Anime Thread!

Started by Notthesun, July 03, 2013, 05:17:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: trdsf on July 11, 2018, 12:51:23 AM
I just found that Gatchaman (miscellaneously mis-translated into the American market as either Battle of the Planets or G-Force) was made as a live-action movie a couple years ago.

This, I *gotta* see.

Meanwhile, I have to say that there are few animes I hate as much as DragonBall (Sailor Moon and Pokemon are off in that hatespace) -- which is weird because the creator of DragonBall is also behind Dr Slump, which I loved.

How can you not like Sailor Saturn ... why the alliteration alone ...
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: trdsf on July 11, 2018, 12:51:23 AM
I just found that Gatchaman (miscellaneously mis-translated into the American market as either Battle of the Planets or G-Force) was made as a live-action movie a couple years ago.

This, I *gotta* see.

Meanwhile, I have to say that there are few animes I hate as much as DragonBall (Sailor Moon and Pokemon are off in that hatespace) -- which is weird because the creator of DragonBall is also behind Dr Slump, which I loved.

I suspect the problems with Dragonball (never watched the others) is that the action is so slow as to be ridiculous.  You can not watch for several episodes and see the same battle and not miss much. LOL!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on July 13, 2018, 03:57:58 AM
I suspect the problems with Dragonball (never watched the others) is that the action is so slow as to be ridiculous.  You can not watch for several episodes and see the same battle and not miss much. LOL!
A friend of mine wrote a parody script the practical upshot of which was taking an entire 24-episode season to get Goku out of bed and downstairs for breakfast.  When you consider that the 'last five minutes before this planet explodes' was stretched out over -- what, eight half-hour episodes? -- that's time dilation on the order of falling into a black hole.  :)
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Blackleaf

Quote from: trdsf on July 15, 2018, 01:28:40 AM
A friend of mine wrote a parody script the practical upshot of which was taking an entire 24-episode season to get Goku out of bed and downstairs for breakfast.  When you consider that the 'last five minutes before this planet explodes' was stretched out over -- what, eight half-hour episodes? -- that's time dilation on the order of falling into a black hole.  :)

That's nothing. Dragon Ball Super's last arc was the Tournament of Power. This was a tournament involving eight of the universes of the Dragon Ball world. It was a team-based free-for-all with a time limit of 48 "Earth minutes." How long did it last? Thirty-four episodes. That's 1.41 "minutes" per half hour episode.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Draconic Aiur

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on July 09, 2018, 06:23:41 AM
crunchy roll is a site with a lot of anime.

One subscription, and you can watch it all.

Think of it as online netflix for anime.

It also has a low resolution setting with no fucking ads

trdsf

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 15, 2018, 02:42:47 AM
That's nothing. Dragon Ball Super's last arc was the Tournament of Power. This was a tournament involving eight of the universes of the Dragon Ball world. It was a team-based free-for-all with a time limit of 48 "Earth minutes." How long did it last? Thirty-four episodes. That's 1.41 "minutes" per half hour episode.
Ah, I see my friend was an optimist.  :D
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Hydra009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WT1q9NIW2WU

I am going to watch the hell out of this show!  I hope they cover friendly gut bacteria, stem cells, and allergies!

Fun fact:  The white blood cells in the show are neutrophils, which are the most common type of white blood cells.  Their lifespan is only about 5.4 days.

Blackleaf

Quote from: trdsf on July 15, 2018, 12:49:08 PM
Ah, I see my friend was an optimist.  :D

One of my friends has a head canon. He says that because the characters in Dragon Ball have increased in both power and speed so much over the course of its story, time becomes distorted around them as they fight. In other words, time slows down as they move at speeds faster than light. I say he's overthinking a series where the author invented a planet with three suns just so he could avoid drawing scenes at night, and created the Super Saiyan so he wouldn't have to spend time inking all of Goku's hair. lol
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Cavebear

The biggest problem with anime is actually 2 problems.  First, too many freeze frames with repeats of clenched fists or angry faces.  The 2nd is no resolution (except the episodes I miss and then all is resolved while I missed it). 

Mr.Obvious

Didn't think I was going to like My Hero Academia.

Finally tried it.

Like it.

When will I learn that I'm an idiot?
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on September 05, 2018, 05:46:52 PM
Didn't think I was going to like My Hero Academia.

Finally tried it.

Like it.

When will I learn that I'm an idiot?

Anime seem so repetitive to me ;-(  So much seems recycled.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Baruch on September 05, 2018, 07:37:33 PM
Anime seem so repetitive to me ;-(  So much seems recycled.

You mean as in The actual animation, or The grander storytelling in The media?
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on July 17, 2018, 04:27:31 AM
The biggest problem with anime is actually 2 problems.  First, too many freeze frames with repeats of clenched fists or angry faces.  The 2nd is no resolution (except the episodes I miss and then all is resolved while I missed it).
The freeze frames are primarily due to the high cost of production and strict deadlines.  Sure, you can animate every frame or you could freeze frame for 5 seconds and pan out, save a bundle and not have to delay the premier date.  Guess which one the execs prefer?

AFAIK, this practice isn't as bad as it used to be, so there's hope that it might eventually be minimized.

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on September 06, 2018, 12:12:41 AM
You mean as in The actual animation, or The grander storytelling in The media?

Both.  Stereotyped at both levels.  But to be fair, what, there are only 7 basic story lines for humans?

Baruto as a reboot of Naruto?  They aren't even trying.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 06, 2018, 12:24:15 AM
The freeze frames are primarily due to the high cost of production and strict deadlines.  Sure, you can animate every frame or you could freeze frame for 5 seconds and pan out, save a bundle and not have to delay the premier date.  Guess which one the execs prefer?

AFAIK, this practice isn't as bad as it used to be, so there's hope that it might eventually be minimized.

A lot of the Japanese style anime is gone now.  But that doesn't mean I think much of the new stuff.  Around here, it starts at midnight or so.  So, not watching it means I get to bed earlier and get up a bit earlier and do more around the house and yard.  I even made BREAKFAST the other day...

Omelet: grated chedder cheese, sauted onions and green peppers, maple sausage.  Twice-folded.