Main Menu

Anime Thread!

Started by Notthesun, July 03, 2013, 05:17:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on February 21, 2018, 05:02:02 PM
You mean like this? ;-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1rkUDTLMzR4

Unless they are characters with some background and personalities, Images don't mean much to me.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Hydra009

So I was watching a video by an anime fan and his issues with how anime has changed over the past ~20 years.

He claims that being an anime fan in the mid 90s in the US was very different.  There were much smaller, tight-knit communities.  Similarly, there wasn't a whole lot of anime series being broadcast in the US at the time.  So fan communities had a list of must-watch series - stuff like Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Neon Genesis Evangelion, etc.  And you basically got "cred" in the community by watching those series and being knowledgeable about them.

Nowadays, there are so many series out that you couldn't realistically watch it all if that's all you ever did.  And that's just current series, not including the backlog over the past 20 years.  And communities have gotten less insular and more devoted to a certain series or genre.  Someone who watches nothing but DragonBallZ isn't likely to have much in common with someone who only watches Slice of Life.  People are less fans of anime than they are fans of specific shows or genres.  Anime has made the same sort of transition that film and live-action TV made long ago.  After all, no one reasonably expects to watch all movies or all live-action TV.

But this transition has a cost - there's so much stuff to sort through that it can be almost overwhelming.  Also, individuals are less and less likely to watch the same anime series - there are less cultural touchstones.  With the exception of a few megahits, you don't really get those great post-episode water cooler discussion anymore (I think he's talking about anime-centered forums here, because you can still find post-episode discussions on that series' subreddit or forum).  So he watches some shows that he doesn't even really like just because that's where all the excitement and passionate discussions are.

Also, viewers are less attentive now than they have been in the past.  He's heard about people watching series at 1.5X speed just to get done faster and move on to the next series.  (Personally, I see this as a symptom of disinterest in the series, not inattentiveness in general)

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on May 31, 2018, 02:18:14 PM
So I was watching a video by an anime fan and his issues with how anime has changed over the past ~20 years.

He claims that being an anime fan in the mid 90s in the US was very different.  There were much smaller, tight-knit communities.  Similarly, there wasn't a whole lot of anime series being broadcast in the US at the time.  So fan communities had a list of must-watch series - stuff like Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Neon Genesis Evangelion, etc.  And you basically got "cred" in the community by watching those series and being knowledgeable about them.

Nowadays, there are so many series out that you couldn't realistically watch it all if that's all you ever did.  And that's just current series, not including the backlog over the past 20 years.  And communities have gotten less insular and more devoted to a certain series or genre.  Someone who watches nothing but DragonBallZ isn't likely to have much in common with someone who only watches Slice of Life.  People are less fans of anime than they are fans of specific shows or genres.  Anime has made the same sort of transition that film and live-action TV made long ago.  After all, no one reasonably expects to watch all movies or all live-action TV.

But this transition has a cost - there's so much stuff to sort through that it can be almost overwhelming.  Also, individuals are less and less likely to watch the same anime series - there are less cultural touchstones.  With the exception of a few megahits, you don't really get those great post-episode water cooler discussion anymore (I think he's talking about anime-centered forums here, because you can still find post-episode discussions on that series' subreddit or forum).  So he watches some shows that he doesn't even really like just because that's where all the excitement and passionate discussions are.

Also, viewers are less attentive now than they have been in the past.  He's heard about people watching series at 1.5X speed just to get done faster and move on to the next series.  (Personally, I see this as a symptom of disinterest in the series, not inattentiveness in general)

I'm probably way behind the curve on this stuff.  I'm still watching new Robot Chicken and new Archer.  And they showed 3 Archer episodes in reverse order, LOL!  But at least he had his eyepatch, so I knew they were recent.

trdsf

Quote from: Cavebear on May 31, 2018, 11:09:18 PM
I'm probably way behind the curve on this stuff.  I'm still watching new Robot Chicken and new Archer.  And they showed 3 Archer episodes in reverse order, LOL!  But at least he had his eyepatch, so I knew they were recent.
You and me both.  Although I did notice that Netflix has Miyazaki's 1979 directorial debut The Castle of Cagliostro (1991 Streamline dub), so I spent the other night greatly enjoying that.  I don't like much anime, but there is definitely anime worth liking.  :)
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Mr.Obvious

I know i said full metal alchemist brotherhood was a consistently good but not amazing show.
I must reasses that statement, having seen it fully. It is a ramp starting with decentness in The first ep, going up to good from thereon out and apart from one or two minor stumbles, it Goes, straight through amazing, up to sheer fantastic epicness
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Gilgamesh

Ufotable making the fate series look amazing, as usual:

Also tits:

Cavebear

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on June 01, 2018, 05:29:38 PM
I know i said full metal alchemist brotherhood was a consistently good but not amazing show.
I must reasses that statement, having seen it fully. It is a ramp starting with decentness in The first ep, going up to good from thereon out and apart from one or two minor stumbles, it Goes, straight through amazing, up to sheer fantastic epicness

Did you watch the climax eps of Hack.dot.sign?

Cavebear

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on June 01, 2018, 05:29:38 PM

I think the 2 most important things about Full Metal Alchemist were the search for the brother's real self, and the relentless demand for honesty and fairness.  I always thought that a major part of Full Metal Alchemist was fairness.  Ethics were a major part of the brother's goals.

Draconic Aiur

re discovering the awesomeness of crunchy roll

Cavebear

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on July 09, 2018, 03:02:34 AM
re discovering the awesomeness of crunchy roll

OK, I don't get that one...

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Cavebear on July 09, 2018, 03:38:25 AM
OK, I don't get that one...

crunchy roll is a site with a lot of anime.

One subscription, and you can watch it all.

Think of it as online netflix for anime.

Cavebear

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on July 09, 2018, 06:23:41 AM
crunchy roll is a site with a lot of anime.

One subscription, and you can watch it all.

Think of it as online netflix for anime.

Thank you...

Blackleaf

Looks like Broly has been confirmed as the main antagonist of the new Dragon Ball Super movie... Because 4 movies plus a canon female Broly wasn't enough. Now we're getting a canon reboot of the character.

Broly has turned into a real crutch for the series. I've never really understood why the character was so popular. My hype for this movie is pretty much dead, and I worry for the future of the series. Are we ever going to get original ideas, or are they just going to keep recycling villains and plots until they've milked the series to death?
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

trdsf

I just found that Gatchaman (miscellaneously mis-translated into the American market as either Battle of the Planets or G-Force) was made as a live-action movie a couple years ago.

This, I *gotta* see.

Meanwhile, I have to say that there are few animes I hate as much as DragonBall (Sailor Moon and Pokemon are off in that hatespace) -- which is weird because the creator of DragonBall is also behind Dr Slump, which I loved.
"My faith in the Constitution is whole, it is complete, it is total, and I am not going to sit here and be an idle spectator to the diminution, the subversion, the destruction of the Constitution." -- Barbara Jordan

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Blackleaf on July 09, 2018, 11:49:06 PM
Looks like Broly has been confirmed as the main antagonist of the new Dragon Ball Super movie... Because 4 movies plus a canon female Broly wasn't enough. Now we're getting a canon reboot of the character.

Broly has turned into a real crutch for the series. I've never really understood why the character was so popular. My hype for this movie is pretty much dead, and I worry for the future of the series. Are we ever going to get original ideas, or are they just going to keep recycling villains and plots until they've milked the series to death?

You say that as if that point hasn't already arrived.