News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Anime Thread!

Started by Notthesun, July 03, 2013, 05:17:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on August 31, 2017, 12:02:39 PM
One of the most irritating things about Japanese anime is the lack of motion and the slow story arcs.  You can watch 30 minutes and nothing actually happens.  Its like eating a virtual potato chip.  The only way to watch it is on 4x speed.  Maybe 8x.
Well, the lack of motion is because creating still images is much, much easier and cost-efficient than creating animation.  Every show balances cost VS animation eyecandy in different ways.  I don't mind some still moments (like panning establishing shots or internal monologues) so long as there are exciting, action-filled moments later on.  I could be mistaken, but I'm fairly certain that more recent anime series generally display more motion than older anime series.

Hydra009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUtsg8AlNxY

TL;DW - Team Kira killed over 242,000 people but saved at least 600,000 lives.  In his world, ~350,000 people who would have otherwise been murdered are instead alive and well.

Are his actions justified?

Imho, he crossed a huge moral line when he started taking out innocents in addition to criminals (to say nothing of criminals who might have been wrongfully convicted).  Also, putting a single person in the role of judge, jury, and executioner raises some serious moral concerns.  And his actual motivations were only partially about making the world a better place and partially about having power over others.

But...someone who cares only about the outcome and doesn't much care about the methods would definitely view Kira as a positive force in the world.

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 01, 2017, 12:10:38 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUtsg8AlNxY

TL;DW - Team Kira killed over 242,000 people but saved at least 600,000 lives.  In his world, ~350,000 people who would have otherwise been murdered are instead alive and well.

Are his actions justified?

Imho, he crossed a huge moral line when he started taking out innocents in addition to criminals (to say nothing of criminals who might have been wrongfully convicted).  Also, putting a single person in the role of judge, jury, and executioner raises some serious moral concerns.  And his actual motivations were only partially about making the world a better place and partially about having power over others.

But...someone who cares only about the outcome and doesn't much care about the methods would definitely view Kira as a positive force in the world.

600 000 per year. Jeez.. Hard to argue with numbers.
But no. His motivations matter. As do his apathic willingness to sacrifice innocents. And I always believed he was truly doing it much more for himself than for the world. So no, his actions weren't justified. He was a psychopathic mass murderer who did it to lord above everyone, not to make the world a better place.

Quote from: Cavebear on August 31, 2017, 12:02:39 PM
One of the most irritating things about Japanese anime is the lack of motion and the slow story arcs.  You can watch 30 minutes and nothing actually happens.  Its like eating a virtual potato chip.  The only way to watch it is on 4x speed.  Maybe 8x.
Quote from: Hydra009 on August 31, 2017, 10:15:53 PM
Well, the lack of motion is because creating still images is much, much easier and cost-efficient than creating animation.  Every show balances cost VS animation eyecandy in different ways.  I don't mind some still moments (like panning establishing shots or internal monologues) so long as there are exciting, action-filled moments later on.  I could be mistaken, but I'm fairly certain that more recent anime series generally display more motion than older anime series.

I can't make a movie. But I would like to see one that is an homage to anime in that way, actually. I know there are anime's and manga that are adopted into live action. But it Always seems to me they take the wrong aspects. Like the silly haircuts and the like.
I want to see a live action movie in which the plot is slow. In which a simple conversation shifts the entire mindset of a character. AND in which we see the characters talking while holding something like a mug before their mouthes. In which seeing someone get punched the onlookers stand by tensing up their muscles and grumbling but doing nothing else. In which someone makes a driven statement, putting themselves out there, and then falling over when someone responds with a dry remark. In which they talk, holding a ridiculous pose without moving their bodies.

I'm not saying it would be good... In live action. But I would want to see it.

(I think that's why I liked the Scott Pilgrim movie, and it wasn't even Anime. But it did keep true to the cartoon format of the Original.)
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 31, 2017, 09:37:08 PM
1. Japanese consider themselves to be "White"
2. Us Round Eyes are fascinating ... since all Japanese have straight black hair anyway
3. You won't find much Anime with Americans with non-European background, especially not African background

1.  I consider all modern humans to be the same Homo Sapiens species.
2.  Local minor variations are more interesting as the product of temporary isolation than having any meaning.
3.  We are all pink on the inside.
4.  Culture trumps genetics.

That is THEIR interest, not mine. 
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Hijiri Byakuren

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Cavebear

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on September 11, 2017, 03:58:25 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just noticed...  "Honorary Doctor of Divinity"?  You've GOT to be kidding.  So am I.  I am a Minister of The Universal Life Church.  Says so right on the card I bought In college.  Its around here somewhere. 

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Cavebear on September 11, 2017, 04:09:00 PM
I just noticed...  "Honorary Doctor of Divinity"?  You've GOT to be kidding.  So am I.  I am a Minister of The Universal Life Church.  Says so right on the card I bought In college.  Its around here somewhere.
They even sent me a little pocket guide to Divinity with my package. It's awesome. [emoji16]

Sent while riding my mighty steed: Godzilla

Cavebear

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on September 11, 2017, 04:12:09 PM
They even sent me a little pocket guide to Divinity with my package. It's awesome. [emoji16]

Were you pulling my leg?  Cool!  Smiles all around if so.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Cavebear on September 11, 2017, 04:14:36 PM
Were you pulling my leg?  Cool!  Smiles all around if so.
I'll try and remember to take a picture when I get home. It's pretty neat.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on September 04, 2017, 02:17:25 AM
1.  I consider all modern humans to be the same Homo Sapiens species.
2.  Local minor variations are more interesting as the product of temporary isolation than having any meaning.
3.  We are all pink on the inside.
4.  Culture trumps genetics.

That is THEIR interest, not mine.

Agreed.  But your open mindedness is very rare.  But even if there were no genetic variation, there would still be cultural chauvinism (France ... cough).  And no, we aren't all pink on the inside ... I like my meat well done.

Divinity is a white candy made from powdered sugar .. fatal to diabetics and dentists .. and nearly so to my grandfather, who had to crack all the black walnuts my grandmother's recipe required.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on September 12, 2017, 12:51:59 AM
Agreed.  But your open mindedness is very rare.  But even if there were no genetic variation, there would still be cultural chauvinism (France ... cough).  And no, we aren't all pink on the inside ... I like my meat well done.

Divinity is a white candy made from powdered sugar .. fatal to diabetics and dentists .. and nearly so to my grandfather, who had to crack all the black walnuts my grandmother's recipe required.

As usual, you are blithering.  Unless you like to eat humans well-done and think dentists are diabetics.  I'm sure you don't, but you said so anyway and your nonsensical blandishments always suggest irrelevence.

Blackleaf

Just out of curiosity, how many of you would use a Death Note if it fell into your possession one day? Personally, I would definitely make use of it, but my methods would be very different from Light's. I would never use it on the police or the innocent, but I'd limit my killings to people the world would be better without, such as Kim Jong Un. I wouldn't purposefully bring attention to myself. I'd also make the times of death very random, and my targets would be from all over, to make my location harder to pin down.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Baruch

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 14, 2017, 09:35:01 PM
Just out of curiosity, how many of you would use a Death Note if it fell into your possession one day? Personally, I would definitely make use of it, but my methods would be very different from Light's. I would never use it on the police or the innocent, but I'd limit my killings to people the world would be better without, such as Kim Jong Un. I wouldn't purposefully bring attention to myself. I'd also make the times of death very random, and my targets would be from all over, to make my location harder to pin down.

Would be tempted, but wouldn't use it.  Too much empathy.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Blackleaf on September 14, 2017, 09:35:01 PM
Same.  Though it'd be extremely easy to get carried away and to strike out at lesser and lesser targets.  It'd take a saint to wield that with proper restraint.

Blackleaf

Quote from: Hydra009 on September 14, 2017, 10:00:28 PM
Same.  Though it'd be extremely easy to get carried away and to strike out at lesser and lesser targets.  It'd take a saint to wield that with proper restraint.

I know what you mean. I would be tempted to use it on Trump or someone in my personal life who just pisses me off. In some cases, it may be hard to draw a fine line and decide who is someone who deserves to die and would leave the world a better place if they disappeared. How far would I be willing to go, and how much of my own humanity am I willing to sacrifice? With no one who hold me accountable, keeping such a power in check could be easier said than done.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--