News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Anime Thread!

Started by Notthesun, July 03, 2013, 05:17:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

It is best to have a heart and a head, but if you have to have only one, the heart is better than the head.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Unbeliever

You don't like head?
God Not Found
"There is a sucker born-again every minute." - C. Spellman

Cavebear

Quote from: Munch on May 28, 2017, 07:57:17 PM
I saw the final episode. It was pretty amazing, but they made one flaw in the final episode that won't ever be resolved.

So ashi used her powers, the same as her father aku, to send her and jack back to the past, and kill aku, so preventing akus dark future from occurring. This though meant without aku, ashi was never born, and she vanishes from existence.

Just one problem. If ashi was the one to teleport jack back to the past to kill aku, and thus erasing herself from existence, how then could she have existed in the future to send jack back, if she didn't exist?

This created a paradox, one we're never get an explanation for.
A time portal permits one to travel to the past.  Ashi had that ability through her father Aku.  If you have the ability to go to the past, it must mean you can exist there for "some" time.  Her time was used as the timestream adjusted (coff, coff). 

Beyond that, best to just let it go. We aren't talking real science here.  ;)
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Cavebear

I haven't liked much since Ghost In The Shell and Cowboy BeBop.  Some Fullmetal Alchemist.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on July 18, 2017, 04:14:12 AM
I haven't liked much since Ghost In The Shell and Cowboy BeBop.  Some Fullmetal Alchemist.

Yes, Fullmetal Alchemist was interesting.  Did you ever see the extension of the story, where the protagonist crosses universes to Nazi Germany?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Mr.Obvious

Watched the first ep of cowboy bebop.

The art is great. But not quite hooked. Will watch ep 2 and 3 probably. But hope it hooks me by then or I might lose interest. I've heard great things about it though.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Cavebear

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on July 31, 2017, 10:35:46 AM
Watched the first ep of cowboy bebop.

The art is great. But not quite hooked. Will watch ep 2 and 3 probably. But hope it hooks me by then or I might lose interest. I've heard great things about it though.

Cowboy BeBop will grow on you...

Cavebear

And let me add that it seems to be a Japanese version of US culture out in space as bounty hunters.  They seem to love us as "cowboys"...  Forgive me, any Japanese participants for the opinion, but random American lingo seems to be in high regard there.  I mean the title makes no sense whatever except for the American words.

And as long as I am going out on a thin limb here, how is "Cowboy Bebop" understood elsewhere?  The title doesn't even make sense to ME!

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 06, 2017, 10:40:38 AM
And let me add that is seems to be a Japanese version of US culture out in space as bounty hunters.  They seem to love us as "cowboys"...  Forgive me, any Japanese participants, for the opinion, but random American lingo seems to be in high regard.  I mean the title makes no sense whatever except for the American words.

And as long as I am going out on a thin limb here, how is "Cowboy Bebop" understand elsewhere?  The title doesn't even make sense to ME!

Japanglish.  Japanese people speaking English their won way ... and thinking we will understand them.  Inflation = Infure for example.  They are an island chain unto themselves.  Bebop is the name of the spaceship the bounty hunters (Cowboys) use.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Quote from: Baruch on August 06, 2017, 12:49:13 PM
Japanglish.  Japanese people speaking English their won way ... and thinking we will understand them.  Inflation = Infure for example.  They are an island chain unto themselves.  Bebop is the name of the spaceship the bounty hunters (Cowboys) use.

Interesting.  I never saw a reference to the ship being called the "Beebop".  But that is a fine idea.  Why do the Japanese use Americans in their anime?  I'm actually quite interested in that.

Hydra009

Quote from: Cavebear on August 31, 2017, 08:44:11 AMWhy do the Japanese use Americans in their anime?  I'm actually quite interested in that.
I dunno.  I'd guess because of the strong cultural ties between Japan and the US and the fact that the US is a big market for anime.

Another thing that I've found curious is that anime characters often seem to have european characteristics: blonde/brown/red hair, blue/green eyes, etc.  Apparently, it's a stylistic choice to differentiate the characters, not necessarily indicative of nationality or race.  And using a broad palette probably helps give it a more universal appeal.

Attack on Titan has the highest concentration of blondes I've ever seen in an anime:

Though it's most likely set in Germany, so that makes sense.

Cavebear

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 31, 2017, 09:48:14 AM
I dunno.  I'd guess because of the strong cultural ties between Japan and the US and the fact that the US is a big market for anime.

Another thing that I've found curious is that anime characters often seem to have european characteristics: blonde/brown/red hair, blue/green eyes, etc.  Apparently, it's a stylistic choice to differentiate the characters, not necessarily indicative of nationality or race.  And using a broad palette probably helps give it a more universal appeal.

Attack on Titan has the highest concentration of blondes I've ever seen in an anime:

I think you are misunderstanding the European influences on Japanese anime.  There is more to it than WWII an the American market.  Most of these shows were created for the local Japanese viewer.  I don't understand why. 

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Hydra009 on August 31, 2017, 09:48:14 AM

First time I watched that show I only got through three episodes. Watched it again last year and managed to sit through ten before I called it quits. I just Do. Not. Get. The. Appeal.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Cavebear

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on August 31, 2017, 11:54:39 AM
First time I watched that show I only got through three episodes. Watched it again last year and managed to sit through ten before I called it quits. I just Do. Not. Get. The. Appeal.

One of the most irritating things about Japanese anime is the lack of motion and the slow story arcs.  You can watch 30 minutes and nothing actually happens.  Its like eating a virtual potato chip.  The only way to watch it is on 4x speed.  Maybe 8x.

Baruch

Quote from: Cavebear on August 31, 2017, 10:01:28 AM
I think you are misunderstanding the European influences on Japanese anime.  There is more to it than WWII an the American market.  Most of these shows were created for the local Japanese viewer.  I don't understand why.

1. Japanese consider themselves to be "White"
2. Us Round Eyes are fascinating ... since all Japanese have straight black hair anyway
3. You won't find much Anime with Americans with non-European background, especially not African background
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.