News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Anime Thread!

Started by Notthesun, July 03, 2013, 05:17:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cavebear

Attack On Titan:  Giant naked morons attacking some city of heroes.  The first and only time I saw it, I thought it was satire.  It isn't.

Watch Samurai Jack instead.  See http://cavebearslair.blogspot.com/2017/04/other-things.html for a summary.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Cavebear on April 30, 2017, 06:57:06 AM
Attack On Titan:  Giant naked morons attacking some city of heroes.  The first and only time I saw it, I thought it was satire.  It isn't.

Watch Samurai Jack instead.  See http://cavebearslair.blogspot.com/2017/04/other-things.html for a summary.

I love Samurai Jack. It is amazing.
When they announced it's return, even for just one season, I was thrilled.
Now there are only three episodes left, and thinking about that makes me sad.
I haven honestly yet to come across a single episode I didn't like, old seasons and new. (And of the old there are like only two I haven't seen yet.)

Though if you like anime satire done right; One-punch man is the way to go.
Btw, do you prefer a good dub or a correct sub?
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Cavebear

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on May 02, 2017, 04:34:40 AM
I love Samurai Jack. It is amazing.
When they announced it's return, even for just one season, I was thrilled.
Now there are only three episodes left, and thinking about that makes me sad.
I haven honestly yet to come across a single episode I didn't like, old seasons and new. (And of the old there are like only two I haven't seen yet.)

Though if you like anime satire done right; One-punch man is the way to go.
Btw, do you prefer a good dub or a correct sub?

I am sorry to hear that there are only 3 more episodes.  That doesn't seem like enough time to understand where Ashi fits in.  Or for Samurai Jack to find a way to the past.

I don't have an option on dub or sub.  I know the difference, but I only get dub.  It seems well done, though.

I am thinking that Samurai Jack's lost sword is important and that the creatures he has helped will aid in his return at the end.  Just a guess.  And Ashi has to be introduced to the story arc for a reason.

I have a feeling that "Leave and Live; Stay and Meet Your Fate" will return as a final theme.

BTW, I know "Samurai" is a title, but I'm not sure about "Jack".  It might not be a name but a function (like "jack" meaning "to uplift").  It seems to me that no one ever just calls him "Jack" like it was a name.  Any thoughts about that?

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Cavebear on May 02, 2017, 06:01:43 AM
I am sorry to hear that there are only 3 more episodes.  That doesn't seem like enough time to understand where Ashi fits in.  Or for Samurai Jack to find a way to the past.

I don't have an option on dub or sub.  I know the difference, but I only get dub.  It seems well done, though.

I am thinking that Samurai Jack's lost sword is important and that the creatures he has helped will aid in his return at the end.  Just a guess.  And Ashi has to be introduced to the story arc for a reason.

I have a feeling that "Leave and Live; Stay and Meet Your Fate" will return as a final theme.

BTW, I know "Samurai" is a title, but I'm not sure about "Jack".  It might not be a name but a function (like "jack" meaning "to uplift").  It seems to me that no one ever just calls him "Jack" like it was a name.  Any thoughts about that?

Interesting ideas. I'm just hoping for a good conclusion. I think he's already found his way back, but he has yet to take it. See 'Jack and the travelling creatures'.

I can also tell you where 'Jack' came from. But it might be more fun to watch the first three episodes of the first season. They act as an hour-long special and explain both the setting of the story and Jack's name. (It's explained, I think, in the second one. Maybe the third)

But in case you can't wait or don't have acces to the episodes:
[spoiler]Once Jack is flung into the future, he lands in a city of Aku. He manages to impress some younsters who start praising him and calling him 'Jack'. "Woa that was wack, Jack, you be slicin' and dicin' and wham!" He later adopts the name on his quest. So Jack isn't his true name. But he's chosen to go by it.

https://youtu.be/hGt6cybFkF4
[/spoiler]

Cavebear

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on May 02, 2017, 06:10:27 AM
Interesting ideas. I'm just hoping for a good conclusion. I think he's already found his way back, but he has yet to take it. See 'Jack and the travelling creatures'.

I can also tell you where 'Jack' came from. But it might be more fun to watch the first three episodes of the first season. They act as an hour-long special and explain both the setting of the story and Jack's name. (It's explained, I think, in the second one. Maybe the third)

But in case you can't wait or don't have acces to the episodes:
[spoiler]Once Jack is flung into the future, he lands in a city of Aku. He manages to impress some younsters who start praising him and calling him 'Jack'. "Woa that was wack, Jack, you be slicin' and dicin' and wham!" He later adopts the name on his quest. So Jack isn't his true name. But he's chosen to go by it.[/spoiler]

(spoilery vid)
https://youtu.be/hGt6cybFkF4

I missed the Saturday episode (extreme exhaustion) and look forward to seeing the repeat 10 pm Wednesday.

Thank you for the "Jack" explanation.  I didn't see the very first episodes.  Makes some sense of the title theme prose. 

Cavebear

Samurai Jack and Ashi together, finally.  I expected that, though not as suddenly as portrayed.  Well, there is little time left.  I assume Ashi will be critical to the Final Fight with Aku.  In a way, she might be more his nemesis than Samurai Jack.  Aku fears Samurai Jack's sword; might there be something he should fear more but does not know of?

Mr.Obvious

Never watched black lagoon before.
I was home sick for two days, binge watched the first season. Currently on season 2.
Great show. Tad simple in regards to the characters' personalities so far, and the story of what's going on and who wants to kill who why is sometimes a bit hard to follow (I feel like I'm missing some things due to my english sometimes). But great action scenes and just plain amusing and creative to watch. Would've been my favorite anime 8 years ago. I  recommend it.

Mr.Obvious

Watching Black Lagoon (now on the OVA), has made me realize something.
Nothing significant. But still, I never quite found the way to word it before.

Many anime seem to treat gunfights as if they were swordfights.

Hydra009

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on May 16, 2017, 06:13:53 AMMany anime seem to treat gunfights as if they were swordfights.
That's true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os3lWIuGsXE

Japanese and American entertainment (movies/tv/books/etc) generally treat guns very differently.

In Japanese entertainment, the gun is an extension of the self.  A representation of internal force.  The sword is treated in much the same way.
In American entertainment, the gun is a tool that empowers the wielder to impose his/her will.  And importantly, almost anyone can be a warrior.

Baruch

Nice final episode to Samurai Jack ... very Japanese.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

GrinningYMIR

Samurai jack: Everyone died

The end!
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"<br /><br />Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Baruch

Quote from: GrinningYMIR on May 21, 2017, 08:48:44 AM
Samurai jack: Everyone died

The end!

Beautiful Youtube montage tribute:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mavJtXDnBwM

That is the same old story ... everyone dies.  But was it a good trip?
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Munch

I saw the final episode. It was pretty amazing, but they made one flaw in the final episode that won't ever be resolved.

So ashi used her powers, the same as her father aku, to send her and jack back to the past, and kill aku, so preventing akus dark future from occurring. This though meant without aku, ashi was never born, and she vanishes from existence.

Just one problem. If ashi was the one to teleport jack back to the past to kill aku, and thus erasing herself from existence, how then could she have existed in the future to send jack back, if she didn't exist?

This created a paradox, one we're never get an explanation for.
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Baruch

Quote from: Munch on May 28, 2017, 07:57:17 PM
I saw the final episode. It was pretty amazing, but they made one flaw in the final episode that won't ever be resolved.

So ashi used her powers, the same as her father aku, to send her and jack back to the past, and kill aku, so preventing akus dark future from occurring. This though meant without aku, ashi was never born, and she vanishes from existence.

Just one problem. If ashi was the one to teleport jack back to the past to kill aku, and thus erasing herself from existence, how then could she have existed in the future to send jack back, if she didn't exist?

This created a paradox, one we're never get an explanation for.

Unless you think that serious self-contradiction (as distinct from paraconsistency) is real, you can bet that going back in time isn't possible.  Other than multiple-universe theory, in which case they went back to a different Earth past, not the the original one.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Cavebear

Samurai Jack:  It was hard to watch the last 2 episodes.  I knew that Jack had to return to the past.  I did not foresee how.  I should have.  I've read enough books...

Time travel, and the consequences, are familiar territory to me.  When the past is changed, the future is also.  All the beings in the future ceased to exist when Jack killed Aku in the past.  Those who died for him in the last future battle with Aku never existed after Jack killed Aku in the past.

I didn't think of Ashi.  I should have realized.  Maybe I just didn't want it to be so...

The hairs on my neck stood on end when Ashi first stumbled in the past. 

Have any of you read 'Ender's Game' before the movie came out?  If so, you know there was that ONE point where you realized the game was real.  I had to put the book down for several days at that point.  I suddenly KNEW!

Ashi stumbling in the past was like that.  But there was no book to put down for a few days.  I'll admit it, I cried.  And there was either watch or not watch.

Her vanishment was logically required.  It does not make me feel any better about it.  Logic does not ease all hurts.