News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Anime Thread!

Started by Notthesun, July 03, 2013, 05:17:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQ_VfizNaJQ

Remember when I said that the Survey Corps's mission of venturing into giant-controlled territory and ultimately into their gaping maws was dumb and the military should just man and fortify the walls as much as possible instead?

The above video contains mathematical proof/guesswork that I was right!  There's enough space and arable land within the walls to sustain not only the current population, but around 9 times that amount.  There's little need to venture outside the walls.  In fact, it's the most reckless, foolhardy thing you could possibly do.  They're essentially throwing away their best warriors on a fool's errand.

And if I've learned anything from strategy games, if you're up against a vastly superior military, you find a good spot to turtle, fortify the hell out of it (three Rs - regrow, replenish, research), then when your forces are built up and of comparable power, only then do you go on the offensive and recapture territory.  It's not the fastest strategy in the world, but it works.  And considering the stakes, being cautious is wise.

TL;DR:  Garrison > Survey Corps

Cavebear

Humans always win.  Its a universal rule.  LOL!
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

kilodelta

April... season 2... I'll probably be in Japan then...
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

PickelledEggs

Don't they have to finish the story?

AllPurposeAtheist

Damn..it's been a few months since I reminded anyone that anime is nothing more than a poorly spelled cartoon.
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

kilodelta

Quote from: AllPurposeAtheist on November 01, 2016, 04:10:56 AM
Damn..it's been a few months since I reminded anyone that anime is nothing more than a poorly spelled cartoon.

You're falling behind your quota.
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

Cavebear

Anime movies NEVER finish a thread.  They hardly move in a 30 minute episode.  I really enjoyed them at one time for the interesting artstyle.  But then I realized you could skip a month and not miss any action.  And "plot"?  There isn't any. 

All it is is teenage booby girls, over-muscular teen boys and still shots over and over and over with sudden landscape destruction once or twice.  LOL!

Munch

I just got ahold of the boy and the beast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uifJLWoWv8c

This thing was hard to come by, and it wasn't cheap, finding the english version set me back £26, kind of steep for a blueray, but the reviews of it gave me the insensitive to get it anyway.

I really loved this movie, though it was a couple of issues, but not things that spoil the overall experience. The animation is marvelous, seen how we live in a time of modern day cgi animated movies, it is so refreshing to sit down with a classical hand drawn movie, that only uses a bit of cgi, but not so much that it saturates the movie or animated quality. The characters are fleshed out and enjoyable, and have a real depth to them, with maybe a few exceptions. It does have the trope of generic good looking japanese scrawny kid and girlfriend that a lot of anime movies have, often I'd like to see them change this trope up a bit, but it doesn't detract from the movie.
The voice acting for the English dub was good too, I've yet to watch the original japanese subtitled version, but going off of the english dub its good. The movie does have a fair bit of exposition at the start which felt more like the start of a tv series, and it did feel like they could have shortened that a lot.

But overall, the animation is quality, the characters are fun, the story is kind of here and there, but it flows along, and it did have a few moments that had me on the edge of my seat. Well worth the cost of it in the end, around an 8.5/10
'Political correctness is fascism pretending to be manners' - George Carlin

Hydra009

I finished Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, which was okay.  Just okay.  This show was billed as like Attack on Titan but better, and it was just okay.

Here's the plot:  fast zombies attack a settlement, the survivors get on a steampunk train and Battlestar Galactica their way out of there.  A couple survivors have powers.  The train arrives at another settlement, *gasp* it's under attack by zombies, so they fight their way out.  Rinse and repeat.

It's animated well, the action is generally pretty good, but it had some serious pacing issues, I didn't really feel attached to the characters, there's almost no worldbuilding (you don't learn jack about the zombies or the settlements or why the world is the way it is), and there wasn't much of a payoff at the end.  The show had a lot of potential, but it was just poorly executed and fell flat. 

What made Attack on Titan good is that I really felt for the characters, so I cared about whether or not they were going to die.  The show gave out little tidbits of lore and did some worldbuilding, even if a lot of it was just through bumpers - fueling fan theories.  And the main theme - a thin veneer of civilization teetering on the brink of carnage and ruin - was something I could really sink my teeth into (pun intended).

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress was just a bunch of people on a train under attack by zombies (and later, some asshole and his men) and two superpowered main characters are here to save the day.  It's not bad, but it's not good either.

Notthesun

Holy shit I started this thread! WOOOOOAAAAAHHHHH
Poster formerly known as Sky;Walker.

His life rushes onward in such torrential rhythm that only angels and devils can catch the tempo of it.

Mr.Obvious

And so the prodical son returns.

(The son, notthesun, mind you.)
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Notthesun

Poster formerly known as Sky;Walker.

His life rushes onward in such torrential rhythm that only angels and devils can catch the tempo of it.

Draconic Aiur

Quote from: Munch on January 09, 2017, 05:13:58 PM
I just got ahold of the boy and the beast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uifJLWoWv8c

This thing was hard to come by, and it wasn't cheap, finding the english version set me back £26, kind of steep for a blueray, but the reviews of it gave me the insensitive to get it anyway.

I really loved this movie, though it was a couple of issues, but not things that spoil the overall experience. The animation is marvelous, seen how we live in a time of modern day cgi animated movies, it is so refreshing to sit down with a classical hand drawn movie, that only uses a bit of cgi, but not so much that it saturates the movie or animated quality. The characters are fleshed out and enjoyable, and have a real depth to them, with maybe a few exceptions. It does have the trope of generic good looking japanese scrawny kid and girlfriend that a lot of anime movies have, often I'd like to see them change this trope up a bit, but it doesn't detract from the movie.
The voice acting for the English dub was good too, I've yet to watch the original japanese subtitled version, but going off of the english dub its good. The movie does have a fair bit of exposition at the start which felt more like the start of a tv series, and it did feel like they could have shortened that a lot.

But overall, the animation is quality, the characters are fun, the story is kind of here and there, but it flows along, and it did have a few moments that had me on the edge of my seat. Well worth the cost of it in the end, around an 8.5/10

Just finished watching that movie after reading your review and I had myself a good cry. not many movies can make me cry So this ones a rareity.

P.S. All I did was type in Bakemono no Ko English sub on google got a hit and watched in 480

Cavebear

Quote from: Hijiri Byakuren on August 12, 2013, 07:14:00 PM
I don't really watch that much anime, but when I do I prefer the shorter ones like Evangelion or Code Geass. Recently I finished watching Puella Magi Madoka Magica, which I now believe is not only one of the best anime of all time but one of the best television shows period.

Just saw that the dumbest anime ever produced, 'Attack On Titan' is being brought to US TV.  Please someone, stop that one...  LOL!

Mr.Obvious

Quote from: Cavebear on April 21, 2017, 05:18:12 AM
Just saw that the dumbest anime ever produced, 'Attack On Titan' is being brought to US TV.  Please someone, stop that one...  LOL!

Never seen it, but I know the premise.
It does not speak to me.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.