Author Topic: Anime Thread!  (Read 19468 times)

Offline Cavebear

Re: Anime Thread!
« Reply #345 on: April 30, 2017, 06:57:06 AM »
Attack On Titan:  Giant naked morons attacking some city of heroes.  The first and only time I saw it, I thought it was satire.  It isn't.

Watch Samurai Jack instead.  See http://cavebearslair.blogspot.com/2017/04/other-things.html for a summary.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead

Online Mr.Obvious

« Reply #346 on: May 02, 2017, 04:34:40 AM »
Attack On Titan:  Giant naked morons attacking some city of heroes.  The first and only time I saw it, I thought it was satire.  It isn't.

Watch Samurai Jack instead.  See http://cavebearslair.blogspot.com/2017/04/other-things.html for a summary.

I love Samurai Jack. It is amazing.
When they announced it's return, even for just one season, I was thrilled.
Now there are only three episodes left, and thinking about that makes me sad.
I haven honestly yet to come across a single episode I didn't like, old seasons and new. (And of the old there are like only two I haven't seen yet.)

Though if you like anime satire done right; One-punch man is the way to go.
Btw, do you prefer a good dub or a correct sub?
E = Mc²

In the end, we are all standing in the dark,
trying to figure out why we are here.
But let us not choose one direction
without proof of where it is headed.

Check your pocket for matches
so we can observe and learn together
as fast friends and relative idiots.

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #347 on: May 02, 2017, 06:01:43 AM »
I love Samurai Jack. It is amazing.
When they announced it's return, even for just one season, I was thrilled.
Now there are only three episodes left, and thinking about that makes me sad.
I haven honestly yet to come across a single episode I didn't like, old seasons and new. (And of the old there are like only two I haven't seen yet.)

Though if you like anime satire done right; One-punch man is the way to go.
Btw, do you prefer a good dub or a correct sub?

I am sorry to hear that there are only 3 more episodes.  That doesn't seem like enough time to understand where Ashi fits in.  Or for Samurai Jack to find a way to the past.

I don't have an option on dub or sub.  I know the difference, but I only get dub.  It seems well done, though.

I am thinking that Samurai Jack's lost sword is important and that the creatures he has helped will aid in his return at the end.  Just a guess.  And Ashi has to be introduced to the story arc for a reason.

I have a feeling that "Leave and Live; Stay and Meet Your Fate" will return as a final theme.

BTW, I know "Samurai" is a title, but I'm not sure about "Jack".  It might not be a name but a function (like "jack" meaning "to uplift").  It seems to me that no one ever just calls him "Jack" like it was a name.  Any thoughts about that?

Online Mr.Obvious

« Reply #348 on: May 02, 2017, 06:10:27 AM »
I am sorry to hear that there are only 3 more episodes.  That doesn't seem like enough time to understand where Ashi fits in.  Or for Samurai Jack to find a way to the past.

I don't have an option on dub or sub.  I know the difference, but I only get dub.  It seems well done, though.

I am thinking that Samurai Jack's lost sword is important and that the creatures he has helped will aid in his return at the end.  Just a guess.  And Ashi has to be introduced to the story arc for a reason.

I have a feeling that "Leave and Live; Stay and Meet Your Fate" will return as a final theme.

BTW, I know "Samurai" is a title, but I'm not sure about "Jack".  It might not be a name but a function (like "jack" meaning "to uplift").  It seems to me that no one ever just calls him "Jack" like it was a name.  Any thoughts about that?

Interesting ideas. I'm just hoping for a good conclusion. I think he's already found his way back, but he has yet to take it. See 'Jack and the travelling creatures'.

I can also tell you where 'Jack' came from. But it might be more fun to watch the first three episodes of the first season. They act as an hour-long special and explain both the setting of the story and Jack's name. (It's explained, I think, in the second one. Maybe the third)

But in case you can't wait or don't have acces to the episodes:
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 06:30:56 AM by Mr.Obvious »
E = Mc²

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #349 on: May 02, 2017, 06:38:02 AM »
Interesting ideas. I'm just hoping for a good conclusion. I think he's already found his way back, but he has yet to take it. See 'Jack and the travelling creatures'.

I can also tell you where 'Jack' came from. But it might be more fun to watch the first three episodes of the first season. They act as an hour-long special and explain both the setting of the story and Jack's name. (It's explained, I think, in the second one. Maybe the third)

But in case you can't wait or don't have acces to the episodes:
Sorry but you are not allowed to view spoiler contents.

(spoilery vid)

I missed the Saturday episode (extreme exhaustion) and look forward to seeing the repeat 10 pm Wednesday.

Thank you for the "Jack" explanation.  I didn't see the very first episodes.  Makes some sense of the title theme prose. 

Offline Cavebear

« Reply #350 on: May 12, 2017, 01:44:27 AM »
Samurai Jack and Ashi together, finally.  I expected that, though not as suddenly as portrayed.  Well, there is little time left.  I assume Ashi will be critical to the Final Fight with Aku.  In a way, she might be more his nemesis than Samurai Jack.  Aku fears Samurai Jack's sword; might there be something he should fear more but does not know of?

Online Mr.Obvious

« Reply #351 on: May 13, 2017, 05:56:18 PM »
Never watched black lagoon before.
I was home sick for two days, binge watched the first season. Currently on season 2.
Great show. Tad simple in regards to the characters' personalities so far, and the story of what's going on and who wants to kill who why is sometimes a bit hard to follow (I feel like I'm missing some things due to my english sometimes). But great action scenes and just plain amusing and creative to watch. Would've been my favorite anime 8 years ago. I  recommend it.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 06:46:43 PM by Mr.Obvious »
E = Mc²

Online Mr.Obvious

« Reply #352 on: May 16, 2017, 06:13:53 AM »
Watching Black Lagoon (now on the OVA), has made me realize something.
Nothing significant. But still, I never quite found the way to word it before.

Many anime seem to treat gunfights as if they were swordfights.
E = Mc²

« Reply #353 on: May 16, 2017, 09:54:13 AM »
Many anime seem to treat gunfights as if they were swordfights.
That's true.

Japanese and American entertainment (movies/tv/books/etc) generally treat guns very differently.

In Japanese entertainment, the gun is an extension of the self.  A representation of internal force.  The sword is treated in much the same way.
In American entertainment, the gun is a tool that empowers the wielder to impose his/her will.  And importantly, almost anyone can be a warrior.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 10:14:25 AM by Hydra009 »

Offline Baruch

« Reply #354 on: May 21, 2017, 08:13:07 AM »
Nice final episode to Samurai Jack ... very Japanese.
שלום

Offline GrinningYMIR

« Reply #355 on: May 21, 2017, 08:48:44 AM »
Samurai jack: Everyone died

The end!
"Human history is a litany of blood shed over differing ideals of rulership and afterlife"

Governor of the 32nd Province of the New Lunar Republic. Luna Nobis Custodit

Offline Baruch

« Reply #356 on: May 21, 2017, 12:45:35 PM »
Samurai jack: Everyone died

The end!

Beautiful Youtube montage tribute:

That is the same old story ... everyone dies.  But was it a good trip?
שלום