News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Any gamers around here?

Started by Agramon, June 21, 2013, 02:55:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

I play a lot of strategy games, and I often encounter something I call The Klingon Problem.

Klingons are a warrior race that excels at combat.  So in a war of Ferengi VS Klingons, who do you think would win?  That's right, the Ferengi.

Wait...what?!  You heard me.  The Ferengi.  And you know why?  Because the Klingon Empire's focus on combat above all else means that it struggles to build up its economy in the early game, and because its economy lags behind, so too does its shipbuilding.  It doesn't matter how amazing Klingons are in combat when they're out-numbered, out-supplied, and struggle to replenish losses.  Even if they have a unique ability where victory in combat gives them resources, they have to win battles before they can get the resources to win battles.  It's a catch-22.

Almost every time I watch AI-controlled empires duke it out, the economy-focused Ferengi win against the military-focused Klingons simply because they're the ones who can acquire fleets faster.  So even though the Klingons are better pound-for-pound, the Ferengi overwhelm and crush them.

Hijiri Byakuren

Quote from: Hydra009 on March 05, 2024, 04:08:59 AMI play a lot of strategy games, and I often encounter something I call The Klingon Problem.

Klingons are a warrior race that excels at combat.  So in a war of Ferengi VS Klingons, who do you think would win?  That's right, the Ferengi.

Wait...what?!  You heard me.  The Ferengi.  And you know why?  Because the Klingon Empire's focus on combat above all else means that it struggles to build up its economy in the early game, and because its economy lags behind, so too does its shipbuilding.  It doesn't matter how amazing Klingons are in combat when they're out-numbered, out-supplied, and struggle to replenish losses.  Even if they have a unique ability where victory in combat gives them resources, they have to win battles before they can get the resources to win battles.  It's a catch-22.

Almost every time I watch AI-controlled empires duke it out, the economy-focused Ferengi win against the military-focused Klingons simply because they're the ones who can acquire fleets faster.  So even though the Klingons are better pound-for-pound, the Ferengi overwhelm and crush them.
I've seen a couple games get around this problem by giving their "Klingons" simultaneous strike capability. By this, I don't mean that they divide their firepower, but that they can simply use their weapon(s) against two or more targets at once. For example, a swordsman who hits three targets in one slash. So now even though they have fewer units, they can focus down more targets at once without dividing their DPS.
Speak when you have something to say, not when you have to say something.

Sargon The Grape - My Youtube Channel

Blackleaf

This game looks really fun. The physics look very satisfying to play around with. Also, if you've never seen a Dunkey video, the guy is fucking hilarious. lol
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

My brother just told me that the entirety of the Command and Conquer games are on sale on Steam for ten bucks.  Fantastic deal.

And since I misplaced my CDs long ago and no longer have a CD drive, I figured that I might as well switch to digital.  Plus, who knows, maybe a buck or two might go to funding a Red Alert 2 remaster.  That would make me so happy...