Author Topic: TV Series Thread  (Read 44860 times)

Offline SGOS

Re: TV Series Thread
« Reply #435 on: August 06, 2018, 10:18:46 PM »
Come to think of it, there is no reason to assume most dimensions of the multiverse would even contain our Earth.

Online Hydra009

« Reply #436 on: August 07, 2018, 12:14:35 PM »
Patrick Stewart is working on a new Star Trek series with Captain Jean-Luc Picard.

I'm so pumped about this!  Imo, Star Trek has been sliding downhill since DS9, a decline that arguably started during DS9's last season.  Voyager had its moments, but imo never topped TNG/DS9.  Enterprise was wretched, and Discovery...I've already forgotten it existed.

This new series could be that shot in the arm the franchise desperately needs.

And one of the best things about this series is that we'll finally get a show that isn't a prequel!  Admittedly, I'm assuming this.  But how else could you bring a semi-noticeably older Picard back on screen?

I'm also hoping that it serves to pass the torch to a younger character, like in Batman Beyond.  Old man Picard works with a younger apprentice.  The wise old man gets the command choices, while the brash youngster has to handle the action scenes - a perfect melding of the old (strategy, diplomacy, hard choices) and new (pew pew pew, running around like a spaz) styles of Trek.

Offline Baruch

« Reply #437 on: August 07, 2018, 06:59:13 PM »
The final episode of the final ST series will review that all the episodes were just a spazzed out holodeck malfunction.  I told Commander Data to stop messing with it!
שלום

Online Cavebear

« Reply #438 on: August 12, 2018, 07:52:38 AM »
Kim Possible on the Disney Channel.  Love it.  Saw the "Graduation" episode twice and cheered both times.
Atheist born, atheist bred.  And when I die, atheist dead!

Online Hydra009

« Reply #439 on: August 15, 2018, 11:12:57 AM »
Refamiliarizing myself with TNG in anticipation of the sequel.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Patrick Stewart really carried that show.  It was bad in some ways (lol at Marriott, some garbage episodes) but amazing in other ways (Borg, emphasis on diplomacy, bonhomie between the main cast)

I also really liked that one lightning effect.  :)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 11:15:23 AM by Hydra009 »

Online Munch

« Reply #440 on: August 29, 2018, 06:00:05 PM »
I love the new ducktales series.

Online Munch

« Reply #441 on: September 14, 2018, 08:34:01 PM »

I was never much of a dr who fan, I watched a few episodes of it in the 1980s, and watched most of the Christopher Eccleston seasons and about half of the David Tennant seasons, Not watched much of it since then, maybe caught a few episodes here and there, I heard Peter Capaldi was alright, but never watched any of his.

When i first heard about the doctor being a woman, I first thought it was a weird choice, but gave them the benefit of the doubt that maybe they could pull it off if they gave the character the same kind of integrity they did like with Eccleston or Tennant and... NOPE, it became bloody obvious why the BBC went in this direction, so blatant in it the early warning signs were already forming during Capaldi's run of the doctor.

There is showing progressive ideas, and then there is just spreading descent and hating on someone for their gender, like this is doing now. For that reason I'll never watch another dr who episode. 

Online Munch

« Reply #442 on: September 14, 2018, 09:03:24 PM »
Coming off the back of this, and aiming this at all forms of media, tv, movies, comics, games, this being a huge pet peeve of mine lately, but why.. just why is there this insistence, that in order to have strong diverse roles in these mediums, strong female leads, strong black roles, strong gay/trans roles, that the only way to do that in some peoples minds is to undermine others in order to do it, make men appear weaker, make white people appear weaker, make straights appear weaker.

This isn't good writing or directing, if you need to disempower one group, in order to make the other feel empowered. This is social justice engineering at best.

You want an example of strong female characters who don't emasculate men? Look at woman woman in the animated justice league TV show or in the comics. Look at shows like buffy the vampire slayer, or Ripley in aliens, or The Bride in kill bill. These are all strong female leads that don't need to resort to pissing on masculinity in order to feel strong themselves. Infact woman woman in the justice league unlimited series was one of my favorite incarnations of the character.

In a setting like this, you have strong male role models, like superman and batman, and you have wonder woman on the same footing as them showing herself as an actual symbol of how strong a woman is, without needing to emasculate her male teammates. This is how you do an empowering female role model, not the garbage modern day BBC or Marvel comics produces.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 09:07:04 PM by Munch »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk