Muslim Brotherhood getting a beating in Egypt

Started by Fidel_Castronaut, July 01, 2013, 02:24:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

La Dolce Vita

Elections? Now that's a military coup I can get behind! Color me optimistic.

Gerard

Morsi did a very bad job. He should have been a uniting figure and he could have placated the very large secular forces in Egypt (who partly voted for him because of the sympathy the MB had gained in the corrupt Mubarak years) very easily. But he just used power for his own political interest group and forced his party political stances on the whole country by insisting on clerical rights in that constitution of his. Now he suffers the consequences. Never disregard a large minority (who may be a majority when they think the better of you) while in power. Furthermore he took the Putin, Sanchez style approach to diversity of the media and freedom of press. Which was telling....

Gerard

GurrenLagann

Indeed. While I'm opposed to military coups that can be avoided (seems to defeat the point of a democratic government), Morsi brought this on himself really. I mean, did he even think about what he was doing when instituting clerical rights on the country?
Which means that to me the offer of certainty, the offer of complete security, the offer of an impermeable faith that can\'t give way, is the offer of something not worth having.
[...]
Take the risk of thinking for yourself. Much more happiness, truth, beauty & wisdom, will come to you that way.
-Christopher Hitchens

FrankDK

> Great news! Let's hope it will serve as an example to other countries in the region.

Let's hope it will serve as an example to the US.  Basing a government on a religion is a bad idea.

Frank

Shiranu

//http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/03/egypt-morsi-out-army-roadmap_n_3540700.html

Morsi out, Chief Justice of the Supreme Constitutional Court, Adly Mansour in. The military seems to be doing everything it can to prove, "...we are not in control, this is not a military coup.".

The "road map" is suppose to be released today IIRC. Interesting to see what direction Egypt takes now. Hopefully within the next week things will be settled down and the plans for elections will be set up.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

GurrenLagann

Is there something special about Mansour that made the military appoint him?
Which means that to me the offer of certainty, the offer of complete security, the offer of an impermeable faith that can\'t give way, is the offer of something not worth having.
[...]
Take the risk of thinking for yourself. Much more happiness, truth, beauty & wisdom, will come to you that way.
-Christopher Hitchens

Shiranu

Quote from: "GurrenLagann"Is there something special about Mansour that made the military appoint him?

Not that I know of. Him and Morsi apparently clashed in the past over Morsi's changes to the constitution, so I am guessing that's why they went with him.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Gerard

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"
Quote from: "Shiranu"
Quote from: "GurrenLagann"Is there something special about Mansour that made the military appoint him?

Not that I know of. Him and Morsi apparently clashed in the past over Morsi's changes to the constitution, so I am guessing that's why they went with him.

It doesn't matter what he is. It is a general ultimatum. To all leading 'parties'. Meaning any to kind of power zone, thing, persona "Down, who/what ever you are and act accordingly or you'll be smashed." That's the principle of a military coup.

He is the Chief Justice and perhaps designated to act as President during a vacancy by the old or the new constitution.

Gerard

Shiranu

Another encouraging thing is he is surrounded by minority group leaders, such as the Pope of the Coptic Church and the Mahmoud Badr, representative of the Tamarod (Rebel) movement. The intern government is being composed mostly of technocrats from all the different parties.

As far as I have seen, the military have not installed one of their own into any position of government, and they have been doing their best to stay as much out of the political process as they reasonably can. If this is a traditional military coup, then it is by far the shittiest one I have ever heard of.

What this was, imo, was a revolution that the military recognised the necessity of. The military did not do this by themselves, they weren't even the main factor, they so far have only been there to protect the people and not the government (as any good military should do).

Fidel_Castronaut

A lot of the muslims I know are lamenting the fall of Morsi as 'bad for democracy', ignoring the fact that he was in the process of slowly demolishing anything democratic about Egypt through the propagation of Islamic laws through its new constitution.

No arguing with same people.
lol, marquee. HTML ROOLZ!

Brian37

Quote from: "Fidel_Castronaut"A lot of the muslims I know are lamenting the fall of Morsi as 'bad for democracy', ignoring the fact that he was in the process of slowly demolishing anything democratic about Egypt through the propagation of Islamic laws through its new constitution.

No arguing with same people.

Well, I wish Americans could get wise to the scam being pulled on us by the rich and the right wing here. Republicans have gone so far to the right and are doing just about everything opposite to what most of the public wants.

I wish we had the balls like the Egyptians do. I don't want to get rid of elections, but I do want to get rid of our republican party. It has held the middle class and working poor hostage for the past 30 years. They are not the party of Lincoln or Teddy Roosevelt, not even Regan.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Colanth

Quote from: "Fidel_Castronaut"A lot of the muslims I know are lamenting the fall of Morsi as 'bad for democracy', ignoring the fact that he was in the process of slowly demolishing anything democratic about Egypt through the propagation of Islamic laws through its new constitution.
Some people seem to think that "democratic government" means "a government that does what I think is right".  Even if it's a dictatorship.  So Muslims in favor of Islamic law would consider what Morsi did a move toward democracy.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

gussy

Until the Free Officers Revolution in 1952, Egypt had been under some sort of foreign occupation for over 2500 years.  Almost ten times as long as the US has even existed.  A mere 60 years of military rule followed by an entire year of democracy.  It might take some time for them to get accustomed to self-rule.  Hope that they get a little more organized and defeat the Brotherhood this time around.

FrankDK

> Muslims in favor of Islamic law would consider what Morsi did a move toward democracy.

If Morsi had been up front about his intentions to establish Sharia law and put Islam into practice, then it would be a move towards democracy, if the majority of people had voted for that.

My recollection is that he down-played that Islam aspects before the election, and indicated they would play little part in his government.

Could be remembering wrong, though.

Frank

OtterPop

Al Jazeera has been up to the minute on its reporting on Egypt, putting it days ahead of some other news sources (as is often the case). Looks like clashes are still erupting and some pro-Morsi protestors that came to where he was being held, were straight up shot in the face with bird shot. Not an elegant way to handle things, but they sure aren't taking shit.  :shock: