Muslim Brotherhood getting a beating in Egypt

Started by Fidel_Castronaut, July 01, 2013, 02:24:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fidel_Castronaut

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-23133174

The Islamist MB, banned for so many years in Egypt, then elected again after the toppling of Mubarak, has seen its president given 48 hours by the Egyptian army and the hundreds of thousands protesters to resign 'or else' it seems.

The protesters accuse Morsi of overseeing the destruction of Egyptian society through a mixture of increasing Islamism in society to rocketing rape and murder stats and a diminishing economy, not to forget the massive increase in sectarian strife and persecution of Coptic Christians and other minorities.

Interesting times, especially after the army sided with the protesters yesterday.
lol, marquee. HTML ROOLZ!

DunkleSeele

Great news! Let's hope it will serve as an example to other countries in the region.

Shiranu

The unofficial number that sources are putting out is 33 MILLION people protesting against Morsi, making this the largest political protest in human history. That is pretty damn awesome.

I always thought it was a bit soon to say, "Oh see! Egypt got a MB president, therefor the entire Arab Spring was a failure and Muslims cannot be civilized people!".

Yeah, revolutions don't work that way. It takes time, experimentation. America wasn't a great place after the English were kicked out either... it took a LONG while for it to become a real nation. Why did you expect Egypt to become a beacon of democracy in less than a year?
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

AllPurposeAtheist

NYT reported police sided with protesters as well as they stormed then burned MB headquarters, many directly involved in rioting.. Great day to be in the Muslim Brotherhood, huh?
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Brian37

Quote from: "Shiranu"The unofficial number that sources are putting out is 33 MILLION people protesting against Morsi, making this the largest political protest in human history. That is pretty damn awesome.

I always thought it was a bit soon to say, "Oh see! Egypt got a MB president, therefor the entire Arab Spring was a failure and Muslims cannot be civilized people!".

Yeah, revolutions don't work that way. It takes time, experimentation. America wasn't a great place after the English were kicked out either... it took a LONG while for it to become a real nation. Why did you expect Egypt to become a beacon of democracy in less than a year?

I think modern technology is playing a big part. I think it was easier in the past to dupe a population because media was limited, but as long as media grows and expands we really are getting more of a taste as a species that we are not that different.

If Christianity can escape a dark ages, it is not a testimony to Christianity, but our species desire to be free from oppression. It is not a matter of "if" an Arab Spring will happen, or that they will have their versions of Paine and Jefferson, they do, the key is to seed more of those types in that region. To say they don't exist is absurd. Ayaan Hirsi Ali and Malala are testimony to the human spirit.

It is up to the rest of the non fascist world to encourage those within to speak up and speak out. But even in the west we have our own problems. We have class warfare being waged by the rich on the middle class and working poor. We have them using religion to justify creating a sweat shop society. So while we are not them, humans will always seek to rig the game, and the compassionate side of our species seeks to make it more fair.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Shiranu

Reading the comments, am I the only one who sees optimism in this? Everyone is saying, "See! They just want a dictatorship back!" or that America was involved (not saying we aren't) and we are over-throwing Morsi. The problem with that is we throw a coup to replace leaders we dislike, not a national protest. This is something the people apparently want.

Uh, no... all they are saying is we don't wan an Islamist society, persecution of minorities and a skyrocketing in rape and crime. Where exactly does that say, "We want dictatorship!"?
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Plu

Sounds positive to me. Lets hope the next guy(s) they elect do better. I guess they had a taste of what happens when you put the religious in charge. Lets hope they learn from that.

SGOS

I've got no agenda here, but as you say, let's wait some more to see how this pans out.  I would love to see democracy in the Mideast.  I hope it happens.  But hope isn't worth much.

Solitary

It looks promising to me. I'll wait to see how it pans out too.  :popcorn:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Jmpty

The military just gave him (Morsi) 48 hours to hit the road.
???  ??

gussy

A military coup wouldn't be the worst thing for Egypt.  They should try a slower approach to democracy the next time around.  Allow the economy to recover and create a constitution before elections take place.  The problem with African democracies is that the party that wins the first election stays in power forever.  They control all the political institutions and rig the constitution and the ballots in a way that they will never lose.  I think that we can all agree that we don't want the Muslim Brotherhood to dominate Egypt for the next 50 years.  Nip it in the bud and start over in a more deliberate fashion.

Agramon

Quote from: "gussy"A military coup wouldn't be the worst thing for Egypt.  They should try a slower approach to democracy the next time around.  Allow the economy to recover and create a constitution before elections take place.  The problem with African democracies is that the party that wins the first election stays in power forever.  They control all the political institutions and rig the constitution and the ballots in a way that they will never lose.  I think that we can all agree that we don't want the Muslim Brotherhood to dominate Egypt for the next 50 years.  Nip it in the bud and start over in a more deliberate fashion.
That may be part of the "roadmap" the Army will enforce if nothing of note happens soon.
"And, tricked by our own early dream
And need of solace, we grew self-deceived,
Our making soon our maker did we deem,
And what we had imagined we believed."
- Thomas Hardy

Shiranu

//http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/02/egypt-morsi-defies-military-ultimatum-tweet_n_3536593.html

Morsi is now asking the military to remove the ultimatum because all he is doing is following the law. The thing is, its very easy to follow the law when you are the one writing it.

Even Mumbarak is saying, "Dude... you might want to step down.".

GurrenLagann

I can't deny a slight optimism. However, I think they need their own incarnation of Thomas Paine and his Common Sense as well, by a citizen amongst them whom understands their plight, and can clearly see the path ahead for them to follow towards stability and - hopefully - peace. It could be a great inspiration for other nations in the region to work towards slashing the bonds of oppression of dictators and religion.
Which means that to me the offer of certainty, the offer of complete security, the offer of an impermeable faith that can\'t give way, is the offer of something not worth having.
[...]
Take the risk of thinking for yourself. Much more happiness, truth, beauty & wisdom, will come to you that way.
-Christopher Hitchens

Fidel_Castronaut

Breaking: Morsi has been removed from power! Amazing really, but that's the power of the military in Egypt.

There will supposedly be new elections relatively soon but it's too early to tell at the moment.

The Muslim Brotherhood will no doubt be pissed too...certainly more to come.
lol, marquee. HTML ROOLZ!