Two teenage sisters shot dead in Pakistan for dancing

Started by drunkenshoe, July 01, 2013, 11:58:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plu

Is there a major difference? I might be talking about a different thing.

Shiranu

Quote from: "Plu"Is there a major difference? I might be talking about a different thing.

I think of liberalism as the act, and liberation as the freedom.

There probably isn't difference though and I just have a misunderstanding of the two.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Nonsensei

Islam dies the same way any other load of shit philosophy dies: when the people who practice it are offered a better existence.
And on the wings of a dream so far beyond reality
All alone in desperation now the time has come
Lost inside you'll never find, lost within my own mind
Day after day this misery must go on

Brian37

When people criticize Hitchens for calling religion poison, I'd say tell me it is not poison after reading sick shit like this.
"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers." Obama
Poetry By Brian37 Like my poetry on Facebook Under BrianJames Rational Poet and also at twitter under Brianrrs37

Solitary

Any irrational belief system cannot be destroyed accept by another irrational belief system as 6,000 years of recorded history has shown to be true. Even the original rational Buddhism has been corrupted, even in his own time, by irrational magical thinking and Judeo-Islamic-Christian influence. As long as people believe in magic and want to be protected, or are sado-masochist, religion will prevail.  :shock:  :roll:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Aupmanyav

Quote from: "Youssuf Ramadan"Fuck me, there's some twisted logic ..
Twisted logic, yes. The brother becomes a hero and no other girl dares to repeat the act. No dancing or music, only Allah's name is permitted.
"Brahma Satyam Jagan-mithya" (Brahman is the truth, the observed is an illusion)
"Sarve Khalu Idam Brahma" (All this here is Brahman)

Youssuf Ramadan

Quote from: "Shiranu"This is a problem that will exist in any sexually conservative culture that believes a man cannot see a woman without turning into a raping monster, that men are to be ashamed of their sexuality and that women (and men) are just property that, if it breaks and cant do it's job (furthering the family name, making the family name look good) it can be thrown away (killed). This is a problem that exists in any sexually conservative culture, and I think its one even people who are very wary of the term "feminist" should support because it is very insulting to the male as well.

I'm not saying the opposite is the solution either (extreme sexual liberalism), but that a middle ground needs to be found in a culture.

Yes indeed.

Drunkenshoe's post about religion propping up what is already in place makes a lot of sense too.

With regard to the oppression of women in a number of religions, when does personal responsibility come in?  It seems that the fact that a man can't keep his dick under control is always the fault of the woman, continuing the practice of patriarchy and mysogyny.  Any change of 'culture' or public consciousness must surely involve individuals realising that they need to take responsibility for their own actions.  If a woman is making your dick hard, turn the other way or think of Ann Widdecombe or Arsenal's defensive pattern or something.  It ain't rocket science....  :roll:

the_antithesis

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"'Honour killings' are almost always directly related something called 'töre' -I am writing in my mother language- in primitive societies. This is a perverted ancient 'code' system that rules over many lives on the planet. In most places this has much stronger influence than religion. People easily stomp on religious laws to 'uphold' töre.

Is töre the same as taboo?

the_antithesis

Quote from: "drunkenshoe"(Do you now get why I broke my own hymen myself in this culture,lol At 17 while learning about these things that they are actually happening I had some sort of a trauma. That's my guess. 'No one's getting mine.' It's quite embarrassing right now though.  :oops: )

Don't worry about it. I'm pretty sure devices like this have broken more hymens than I'll ever see in my lifetime.

Must be why girls love horses.