Colorado Now Allowing Hemp Growing

Started by stromboli, June 30, 2013, 10:02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stromboli

http://blog.tenthamendmentcenter.com/20 ... dDiPPlSnsN

QuoteUnder the new law, the Colorado Department of Agriculture can create a state Industrial Hemp Pilot Program and Registry, giving Colorado's farmers the ability to begin the process to "engage in industrial hemp cultivation for commercial purposes."

The recent passage of Amendment 64 legalizing the cultivation and recreational use of marijuana in Colorado had the major impact on the state's agricultural sector, and laid the groundwork for passage of this bill. Now, farmers in Colorado can apply for a 10 acre research plot, or they can apply for larger farms.

"I believe this is really going to revitalize and strengthen farm communities," says Ryan Lofin, the man who planted Americas first hemp crop in 60 years on 60 acres of his family's Colorado farmland. That plot previously supported alfalfa.

Steve Wilson of the Missouri Hemp Network praised Colordado's new law.

"Colorado has been leading and now appears to have an advantage. With hemp farming, you need a certain level of maturity both as a society and a government. Colorado farmers are not afraid and Colorado politicians are listening to the voter. Colorado is setting a great example of how to govern in the 21st century."

The premature death of the United States hemp industry is attributed to the passage of the 1937 Marihuana Tax Act, along with the enactment of the federal controlled substances act of 1970. Under federal law, the Drug Enforcement Agency has prevented the production of hemp within the United States. However, with this new Colorado legislation, hemp's future appears poised to make a comeback.

"Being able to tell people that hemp is viable in Colorado and Kentucky now makes the conversation real rather than a dream," Wilson said.

Very cool. Hemp is one of the most useful plants out there. You can make everything from paper to cloth to fuel from it. Glad that states are taking the initiative in a government atmosphere of regression and oppressive drug regulation.

I was there last week. Colorado is an awesome state. I would love to move there.

_Xenu_

I'll be vacationing there next month. Hopefully I'll be able to grab a bag of weed for local consumption.(because I'm not dumb enough to take it back on a plane)
Click this link once a day to feed shelter animals. Its free.

http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/clickToGive/ars/home

stromboli

Everything was on fire when I left there. If you get to Estes Park, I highly recommend Mama Rose's Italian restaurant. Some of the finest food I've eaten, and her place is next to the Big Thompson River, with a stone covered patio. One of the finest eating experiences I've ever had. The drive there is well worth the effort, up a beautiful canyon from Loveland. She's open from like 8 to 3, and then closes for an hour. Reopens at four. Great meal, great service, well worth the drive. We fed 4 for about $100, so not too bad.

I didn't see any weed at all, nary a sign of it. You'll have to ask around.

GalacticBusDriver

Quote from: "stromboli"I didn't see any weed at all, nary a sign of it. You'll have to ask around.
Or, just hang out on the 16th street mall for a while.
"We should admire Prometheus, not Zues...Job, not Jehovah. Becoming a god, or godlike being, is selling out to the enemy. From the Greeks to the Norse to the Garden of Eden, gods are capricious assholes with impulse control problems. Joining their ranks would be a step down."

From "Radiant" by James Alan Gardner

Youssuf Ramadan

Good news for the snack food industry too!  :weed:

Solitary

Hemp does not have THC in it even if it is marijuana as far as I know. It would be like smoking a  hemp rope, or gunny sack.  :shock:  :lol:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Youssuf Ramadan

Quote from: "Solitary"Hemp does not have THC in it even if it is marijuana as far as I know. It would be like smoking a  hemp rope, or gunny sack.  :shock:  :lol:  Solitary

Well that's a bit of a buzzkill......

Hydra009

Minor correction because this is bugging me way more than it should:

Colorado farmers can now legally grow marijuana plants and produce hemp.

And yes, you can't get high off hemp.  Though it'd be interesting to see what happens to the "wasted" portions of the harvested plants.

Gawdzilla Sama

I liked Hemp, but Curly will always be missed.  :(
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

AllPurposeAtheist

Yes, you can get a mild high from hemp. it's very minor, but it has traces of THC. A friend and I cultivated (picked) a boatload in the corn fields of Illinois several years ago. It's been growing there since before WWII. It's not great stuff...hardly the skunk, but in a pinch..ehh..  :-?
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Solitary

And I thought someone was going to get the banana peels out. I'll sick with ganja man! Or White Widow, Big Bud, Bubblegum, Hollands Hope (hope you don't die), Ice, Northern Lights, Purple Power, PPP, and I think I'll try some Mazar  :shock:   #-o  :rolleyes:  :-$  8-[  :wink:  :-D  :rollin:  :popcorn: Solitary

Gawdzilla Sama

It's a "foot in the door" maneuver, most likely.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Youssuf Ramadan

K-Train (Train Wreck crossed with Kush) is a bit of a monger....  :rolleyes:  8-)

AllPurposeAtheist

I've taken back to smoking in case anyone is wondering about my past posts.. I enjoy it more these days.. must be old age..  :-k
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Solitary

What else is there? Eating and getting fat, drinking and getting a big belly, smoking to relax between doctor and dentists visits, and dental flossing and brushing your teeth?  :shock:  :rollin: Oh, and sitting at a computer all day getting fatter and blood clots.  #-o  :lol:  Solitary