News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

A Facepalming good time.

Started by BlackL1ght, June 30, 2013, 01:03:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackL1ght

I found this website today putting evolution against creation. It's made for some interesting reading. However, if I facepalm any harder I may injure myself. I can't believe anyone really believes this bullshit:
//http://missinguniversemuseum.com/
Vi veri Veniversum Vivus Vici

Plu

Ghehe, yeah to anyone with an education this is completely ridiculous. I can understand why it works anyway.

AllPurposeAtheist

That family tree thing makes sense. If you remove all the lines of a map of a metropolitan city you'll see god formed sky scrapers too..
http://missinguniversemuseum.com/Exhibit3.htm
:rollin:
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Titania

Quote from: "BlackL1ght"I found this website today putting evolution against creation. It's made for some interesting reading. However, if I facepalm any harder I may injure myself. I can't believe anyone really believes this bullshit:
Do you ever read Conservapedia? I'm 100% convinced 99% of it is written by parodists. (It's easy to sound realistic when you mock something that's a mockery of itself, or whatever.) By the same token I think this link is intended as a joke.
"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two make four. If that is granted, all else follows." - Winston Smith, 1984

Solitary

Whether it is a parody or not, it does show that religion and science are in fact incompatible. Asking to prove evolution is a fact is silly, because no theory can be proven as a fact because science doesn't work that way because it is always tentative and doesn't claim absolute knowledge like religion does. However, science is based on knowledge and not on ignorance claiming to be knowledge like religion does.  :roll:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Aupmanyav

Quote from: "Solitary"Whether it is a parody or not, it does show that religion and science are in fact incompatible. :roll: Solitary
Solitary, you are thinking of Abrahamic religions. Advaita in Hinduism and buddhism accept science in its totality.
"Brahma Satyam Jagan-mithya" (Brahman is the truth, the observed is an illusion)
"Sarve Khalu Idam Brahma" (All this here is Brahman)

mykcob4

Quote from: "BlackL1ght"I found this website today putting evolution against creation. It's made for some interesting reading. However, if I facepalm any harder I may injure myself. I can't believe anyone really believes this bullshit:
I like the little tag where they command students to give THEIR test to teachers to see if the teachers know what they are teaching. That is the biggest brainwash scam since the NAZIs turned the youth of Germany against their parents.
Any kid is going to jump at the chance to defy authority and state that the grown ups don't know what they are talking about.
It's one thing to question, it's another to just sell defiance as a product.
I have a neighbor that is old and grizzled. He thinks that he knows everything. He hates what he calls "college boys". He hates scientist, engineers, doctors, lawyers, professors, and any professional. He always tells stories about how engineers would come out to HIS worksite and he would take their plans and throw them away and build his own device that HE claims worked far better. I always call him on his bullshit, and it always turned out that whatever he modified broke down or didn't comply with laws or something like that. He is a typical "southern selfmade engineer." All bullshit, all the time. He was fired for modifying something and costing the company millions in fines and clean up. He worked for Mobil Oil. He lost his pension, all because he didn't accept education and knowledge as valid. He is also a chronic methhead. Typical so typical. His son-in-law keeps him alive and that's how he survives.
Of course he blames his life on Obama and those nasty Liberals. The problem is that there is always a bunch of highschool dropouts hangin' around his garage, smoking pot, with him talking about gettin' poontang, drinkin' ,driving fast cars that they have modified, shooting guns, etc...! He's a devout christian and doesn't belive in evolution, a tinfoil hat conspiracy theorist, a gay hating racist, a conservative, and a chronic FOX NOISE watcher. His favorite shows are 'Family Guy' (a cartoon), and 2 1/2 Men reruns with Charlie Sheen. I'll mention a program that I've watched on PBS and he goes ballistic cutting down PBS. He hasn't watched a single minute of PBS in his entire life, so ofcourse he knows all about it.
I don't think he has EVER read a book. He keeps his pot in a bible. He epitomizes a true Texas southern redneck.

kilodelta

QuoteThe Missing Universe Museum contrasts the Evolution and Creation models of origins.

That quote alone... so many wouldn't see what's wrong with it...

*insert picture of a sad faced hobo-clown humping a balloon animal
Faith: pretending to know things you don't know

Colanth

Quote from: "Aupmanyav"
Quote from: "Solitary"Whether it is a parody or not, it does show that religion and science are in fact incompatible. :roll: Solitary
Solitary, you are thinking of Abrahamic religions. Advaita in Hinduism and buddhism accept science in its totality.
Since science requires a physical brain for consciousness, that's false.  Science doesn't recognize "pure consciousness".
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

Colanth

I don't think I've ever seen as much misunderstanding and straw in one place at one time.  There's not one thing on the site that could be called a valid argument, not even an incorrect valid argument.
Afflicting the comfortable for 70 years.
Science builds skyscrapers, faith flies planes into them.

GurrenLagann

Quote from: "Colanth"
Since science requires a physical brain for consciousness, that's false.  Science doesn't recognize "pure consciousness".

? What does "pure consciousness" even mean, and what does it have to do with Buddhism or Hinduism?
Which means that to me the offer of certainty, the offer of complete security, the offer of an impermeable faith that can\'t give way, is the offer of something not worth having.
[...]
Take the risk of thinking for yourself. Much more happiness, truth, beauty & wisdom, will come to you that way.
-Christopher Hitchens

Solitary

Thanks for your post!
I'm not knowledgeable of Advaita, but I am of Hinduism and Buddhism in general. Hinduism considered Buddha to be one of their gods, and Buddha said not to waste your time with trying to understand reality which is what science does. I do not consider the original teachings of Buddha to be religious by the normal definition of religion, only philosophical and a good way to live ones life, which I follow. Hinduism and modern Buddhism both have magical thinking, prayers, and rituals which are not compatible with science even if science is excepted. Solitary

Solitary

Quote from: "Colanth"I don't think I've ever seen as much misunderstanding and straw in one place at one time.  There's not one thing on the site that could be called a valid argument, not even an incorrect valid argument.

Even though this is not an argument: "it does show that religion and science are in fact incompatible," do you believe this isn't true? Solitary

Aupmanyav

Quote from: "Colanth"Science doesn't recognize "pure consciousness".
Strains of 'advaita' also do not recognize 'pure consciousness'. They say 'Brahman' is 'what exists', and we do not know 'what exists'. 'Brahman' is not necessarily God, it is 'nirguna' (without attributes), uninvolved and formless. They do say only one entity exists (non-duality). From various 'upanishads':

"Sarvam hi etad brahma ayam ?tm? brahm sah ayam ?tm?"
(All indeed is this Brahman; my 'self' is Brahman, it (Brahman) is my 'self')
"Sarvam khalu idam Brahma"
(All this here is Brahman)
"Ekam ev?dvitiyam brahma"
(Brahman is one, without a second)

'Brahma' is also the word for the universe. (Brahm? is different, that is the creator God in the theist hindu trinity).
"Brahma Satyam Jagan-mithya" (Brahman is the truth, the observed is an illusion)
"Sarve Khalu Idam Brahma" (All this here is Brahman)

Plu

That's a lot of words to say basically nothing...