Atheist Monument in Front of Florida Court House

Started by stromboli, June 29, 2013, 10:26:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GurrenLagann

Which means that to me the offer of certainty, the offer of complete security, the offer of an impermeable faith that can\'t give way, is the offer of something not worth having.
[...]
Take the risk of thinking for yourself. Much more happiness, truth, beauty & wisdom, will come to you that way.
-Christopher Hitchens

Maelstrom

Just saw this on Facebook.  Yes, it is rather cool.

Solitary

Best news I've heard today. I think there are more young people that are theist now than Christian.  think Eric Hovind was getting off on it.  :shock:  :roll:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

the_antithesis

Meh. I don't see the need for anything in front of the court house besides a Coke machine.

Plu

Neither did the atheists, but if there's going to be these monuments anyway, you might as well keep some balance in what there is. As they mentioned in the article, when the christian one is removed, they would remove theirs as well.

That seems like a fair deal.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: "the_antithesis"Meh. I don't see the need for anything in front of the court house besides a Coke machine.
A Sherman would be cool.  8-)
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

This, I think, is more than just an amusing irony of a story.  Now I know it's not legal, but it might have been a good move to put up a monument to the god, Ganesh, too.  Having said all this, I have to wonder what the town fathers were thinking when they created a free for all zone.  Also, I would think Christians should be pleased to see the punishments for breaking the commandments enshrined in stone.  Yeah, Thomas Jefferson probably pisses them off, but knowing when to stone a woman who strays from the path of God is important.

AllPurposeAtheist

A pile of good throwing rocks should be essential in front of any god fearing courthouse..
All hail my new signature!

Admit it. You're secretly green with envy.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"A pile of good throwing rocks should be essential in front of any god fearing courthouse..
There would be no courthouses, God would judge people in the next life.  :roll:
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

AllPurposeAtheist

Quote from: "Gawdzilla Sama"
Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"A pile of good throwing rocks should be essential in front of any god fearing courthouse..
Not according to the Pope[sup:uzoxixji]®[/sup:uzoxixji].. I did my good deed. I let two fat chicks on the bus ahead of me.. :)

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"
Quote from: "Gawdzilla Sama"
Not according to the Pope[sup:3uqetojm]®[/sup:3uqetojm]..
He can just ex cathedra right off.
QuoteI did my good deed. I let two fat chicks on the bus ahead of me.. :)
I saw you check out dat ass.  [-(
PZ Myers

AllPurposeAtheist

One had an actual round, kind of almost squeezable ass.. I could even see the Charmin trail.. :lol:

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: "AllPurposeAtheist"One had an actual round, kind of almost squeezable ass.. I could even see the Charmin trail.. :lol:
Half a league, half a league, half a league more, into the valley of ...

Oh, never mind.
PZ Myers

Aupmanyav

"Brahma Satyam Jagan-mithya" (Brahman is the truth, the observed is an illusion)
"Sarve Khalu Idam Brahma" (All this here is Brahman)