News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Happy Birthday George Orwell

Started by drunkenshoe, June 28, 2013, 02:21:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drunkenshoe

QuoteDutch duo Front404 create interactive installations with humor that aim to surprise and offer a different perspective on the world. On June 25th, in honor of George Orwell's 110th birthday, the two, Thomas voor 't Hekke and Bas van Oerle, placed party hats on surveillance cameras throughout the city of Utrecht. Not just a celebratory gesture, but a great way of drawing attention to the inconspicuous cameras that observe our every move and we so readily ignore. Every day, just that much closer to an Orwellian surveillance state.

Solitary

It sure seems that way doesn't? I wonder when the neo-Nazis will be knocking on the door?  :shock: Oh, I forgot, they already have in my case.  8-[  :-$   :evil:  Solitary
There is nothing more frightful than ignorance in action.

Smartmarzipan

When I was reading his book in high school, I never thought I would actually be afraid of government spying in my later years. I really didn't. It was just fiction, right?  :-|
Legi, Intellexi, Condemnavi.

"Religion is the human response to being alive and having to die." ~Anon

Inter arma enim silent leges

GurrenLagann

I really enjoy his "1984", which surprised me after first having reas it, given the depressing ending. :)
Which means that to me the offer of certainty, the offer of complete security, the offer of an impermeable faith that can\'t give way, is the offer of something not worth having.
[...]
Take the risk of thinking for yourself. Much more happiness, truth, beauty & wisdom, will come to you that way.
-Christopher Hitchens

Savior2006

Quote from: "GurrenLagann"I really enjoy his "1984", which surprised me after first having reas it, given the depressing ending. :)

Agreed. The funny thing is from 2009, after conservatives had their thumbs shoved up their asses for eight years of Bush, a black liberal comes and they suddenly start quoting in every Youtube political video like it's going out of style.
It took science to do what people imagine God can do.
--ApostateLois

"The closer you are to God the further you are from the truth."
--St Giordano

Jason78

Quote from: "GurrenLagann"I really enjoy his "1984", which surprised me after first having reas it, given the depressing ending. :)

You found the ending depressing?  Were we reading the same book?
Winner of WitchSabrinas Best Advice Award 2012

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real
tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light. -Plato