Racist governor says minorities can't read

Started by Jason Harvestdancer, January 09, 2022, 03:16:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason Harvestdancer

Oregon governor signs bill ending reading and math proficiency requirements for graduation

QuoteOregon Gov. Kate Brown privately signed a bill last month ending the requirement for high school students to prove proficiency in reading, writing, and arithmetic before graduation.
The bill, which suspends the proficiency requirements for students for three years, has attracted controversy for at least temporarily suspending academic standards amid the COVID-19 pandemic. Backers argued the existing proficiency levels for math and reading presented an unfair challenge for students who do not test well, and Boyle said the new standards for graduation would aid Oregon's "Black, Latino, Latinx, Indigenous, Asian, Pacific Islander, Tribal, and students of color."
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

GSOgymrat

Shouldn't the topic heading read "Racist governor and racist Oregon State Legislature say minorities can't read"?

Still, the measure received some bipartisan support, with state Rep. Gordon Smith, a Republican, voting in favor of passage. The state House passed the bill 38-18 on June 14, and the state Senate voted 16-13 in favor of the measure on June 16.

SGOS

You're damned if you are, and you're damned if you aren't.  Temporarily lowering standards in a compromised learning environment is not necessarily racist, because it applies to everyone who is learning impaired in that situation.  Although I would be critical of the governors choice of words.  I'm not even sure that lowering academic standards in the current environment is the right thing to do, but that's a different debate.   

drunkenshoe

Quote from: SGOS on January 10, 2022, 04:45:21 AM
You're damned if you are, and you're damned if you aren't.  Temporarily lowering standards in a compromised learning environment is not necessarily racist, because it applies to everyone who is learning impaired in that situation.  Although I would be critical of the governors choice of words.  I'm not even sure that lowering academic standards in the current environment is the right thing to do, but that's a different debate.   

I don't think it's just choice of words. It sounds like she thinks it applies to everyone, except the white kids.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

SoldierofFortune

Lower standard of education is a standard,
Governments don't wanna real educated folk cuz then they may be aware of how nice governments fuck them without feel the pain.

A sick folk who haven't been allowed to know of how sick they are.

GSOgymrat

There are two purposes to this bill. One is to address the interruption in students' education due to COVID restrictions by suspending the proficiency requirements for three years. The second is "to review our graduation requirements and make sure our assessments can truly assess all students’ learning." This does not necessarily mean lowering standards. "The testing that we've been doing in the past doesn't tell us what we want to know... We have been relying on tests that have been, frankly, very flawed and relying too much on them so that we aren't really helping the students or the teachers or the community." When tests don't measure what they are designed to measure you change them. For example, true/false or multiple-choice tests are easier to prepare for and don't demonstrate mastery of the material compared to essays. It is harder to "teach to the test" when students are not expected to just know facts but to integrate facts into a narrative that demonstrates understanding. As far as the racial aspect, testing can be biased for or against different cultures-- because the distinction here isn't how dark one's skin is but in what kind of environment a student is living. A good test would minimize those biases and not necessarily be easier.

Dantalion

If you don’t know how to read, then you shouldn’t graduate high school.

FreethinkingSceptic

Quote from: Jason Harvestdancer on January 09, 2022, 03:16:53 PMOregon governor signs bill ending reading and math proficiency requirements for graduation

Ha ha. That's a rather interesting take on and interpretation of what was "said". Out of the infinite number of ways such an assertion could be interpreted, I wonder why this one was so eagerly selected?