News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Having to accept cookies

Started by SoldierofFortune, January 07, 2022, 11:06:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SoldierofFortune

Hello guys.

There is something I have been unvolunterily exposed on visiting the internet sites.
It is everywhere.

When you try to access any site, you have to accept cookies. This is always the case and I doubt there is deeper subliminal and neurolinguistics imposition here.

I am an 33 years old and back in my time browsing online the internet, there were no such a thing.

On the part of involuntery imposition, I want to hear your points before I clarify the issue further.

Greetings.

Gawdzilla Sama

It's a way to keep score, big scores get better advertisers or funding from the Boss.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

And one can clean them out of your cashe every now and again.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

the_antithesis

Quote from: SoldierofFortune on January 07, 2022, 11:06:33 AM
I am an 33 years old and back in my time browsing online the internet, there were no such a thing.

I'm fifty years old and what are you talking about? It was everywhere for decades. It's just that back then your browser would save the cookie behind the scenes and not even tell you about it until your hard drive filled up and your computer started to run slower as a result. Nowadays browsers or whatever warn you that a site is trying to save a cookie and you're like "the hell is this shit?"

SoldierofFortune

Quote from: the_antithesis on January 07, 2022, 12:25:18 PM
I'm fifty years old and what are you talking about? It was everywhere for decades. It's just that back then your browser would save the cookie behind the scenes and not even tell you about it until your hard drive filled up and your computer started to run slower as a result. Nowadays browsers or whatever warn you that a site is trying to save a cookie and you're like "the hell is this shit?"

Let me enlighten you and broaden your horizon, so you will be 51 in no time.
but whatever, who cares? The biological age does not necessiate the corresponding wisdom.

Cockies were run behind the scenes, and made the pc run slower. It is no concern for today s computers with the hardware allowing the pc to run at the speed of light.

You think giant monopolistic pc manufacturers are of concern that your pc efficiency should be at its best?
Think of how apple updates make the phone slower, just to lead you to buy anoter phone which practically of no functional value than the older one.

The cockie thing is something like when you are opening a bank account, you sign loads of paper without even reading and understanding fully whats written on them.

You WILL accept whether you agree or disagree...Period.

aitm

We must share vastly different web sites. Every time I see the box I click no. Still get to the site without any problems….what you looking at?   ðŸ¤ª
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

SGOS

Aren't cookies the things that make it possible for your favorite sites to recognize you when you sign in, and remember what you have in your shopping cart so you don't have to shop all over again while you're just taking your time to decide if you really want to buy that widget or not?  I suppose they can be used for more nefarious ends, but... welcome to the internet, smart phones, and online banking.

Gawdzilla Sama

Some issues include being able to track your travels around the Internet, keeping records of what you do on a site for "interested parties", and the like. Cookies may be innocuous but if you put humans in the loop...
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Hydra009

Quote from: SGOS on February 01, 2022, 07:17:52 AMAren't cookies the things that make it possible for your favorite sites to recognize you when you sign in, and remember what you have in your shopping cart so you don't have to shop all over again while you're just taking your time to decide if you really want to buy that widget or not?  I suppose they can be used for more nefarious ends, but... welcome to the internet, smart phones, and online banking.
Correct.  They have useful purposes, like tracking the shopping cart (nowadays saved by a database on the website) and form fields (nowadays saved by the browser).  But their main purpose - and reason why they're so controversial - is the ability to track user activity: to know what you clicked on, which pages you visited, how many times you visited them, etc.  And third-party cookies do this across an unknown number of sites, potentially disclosing a LOT of information about the user to unknown parties.

Feral Atheist

Private window (FireFox) or incognito mode (Chrome) delete cookies when the browser is closed.
In dog beers I've only had one.