Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Inbetween 3000 BC 1400 AD

Started by Rajhoul, November 11, 2020, 06:54:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Baruch

Quote from: Mr.Obvious on November 14, 2020, 01:14:48 PM
What even is 'time'?

St Augustine of Hippo give the first Western answers on time and astronomy ...

"NEITHER TIME PAST NOR FUTURE, BUT THE PRESENT ONLY, REALLY IS. ... What, then, is time? If no one asks me, I know; if I wish to explain to him who asks, I know not." ... which seems to be to be borrowed from Buddhism ;-)

"The good Christian should beware of mathematicians, and all those who make empty prophecies. The danger already exists that the mathematicians have made a covenant with the devil to darken the spirit and to confine man in the bonds of Hell." ... this was what astrologers were called back then.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Azee’ Å,a’ish nanídį́į́h?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Are you taking any medications?
Don't do that.

Baruch

Quote from: Unbeliever on November 14, 2020, 01:40:24 PM
Time is of the essence.

It is essential ;-) ... otherwise nothing would happen.  And there is nothing more boring than nothing itself ;-))
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

Jason Harvestdancer

800 BCE was the end of the Greek dark ages.
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Baruch

Quote from: Jason Harvestdancer on December 09, 2020, 07:15:30 PM
800 BCE was the end of the Greek dark ages.

Yep.  I think the oldest surviving Greek writing, in the new Alpha Beta ... was the Dipylon inscription of 740 BCE.  400 years of Greek Dark Ages would have been approved of by Pol Pot.  The Sea People's were like the Khmer Rouge.
Ha’át’íísh baa naniná?
Táadoo ánít’iní.
What are you doing?
Don't do that.

SoldierofFortune

My lifetime so far has seen more change than 4400 years in between, so as yours who are alive in 2021.

And the acceleration of change are getting even faster.

Mike Cl

Quote from: SoldierofFortune on August 07, 2021, 08:04:12 AM
My lifetime so far has seen more change than 4400 years in between, so as yours who are alive in 2021.

And the acceleration of change are getting even faster.
Alvin Toffler--Future Shock.  He wrote about this in 1984; how change effects individuals and groups.  And that change is happening at an ever quickening pace.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Mike Cl on August 07, 2021, 09:30:07 AM
Alvin Toffler--Future Shock.  He wrote about this in 1984; how change effects individuals and groups.  And that change is happening at an ever quickening pace.
But we still experience one day at a time. Even the atomic bomb slid right in without affecting the average person for years.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Mike Cl

Quote from: Gawdzilla Sama on August 07, 2021, 07:05:04 PM
But we still experience one day at a time. Even the atomic bomb slid right in without affecting the average person for years.
Well, yes and no.  We do experience one hour at a time or one day at a time.  But we can compare how we live compared to how we used to live.  It is easy for me to recall how I lived in my 40's, 50's, etc to now.  And it is easy for me to project into the future what I can, or should, expect to experience in the future.  (And I do understand that one cannot accurately project the future, but many do anyway)  Technology is also a big unsettling feature of our world.  20 yrs ago I would not have thought I'd have a fucking phone in my pocket 24/7 nor even begin to consider what it can do; calling people is now only one feature of that computer (phone) in my pocket.  Change is constant and change instills fear in many, many people. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Blackleaf

I mean, there's a political party in the United States based almost entirely on fear of change. Yes, let's go back in time, back when overt racism and sexism was socially acceptable, when your computer would screech at you when you connected to the internet, central air didn't exist and you just had to suffer through extreme heat every Summer, and the only time there was anything to watch on TV was early Saturday morning. Sounds great.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--