Laminar Flow vs Turbulent Flow

Started by drunkenshoe, February 05, 2022, 06:01:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drunkenshoe

Why Laminar Flow is awesome

https://youtu.be/y7Hyc3MRKno

Why Turbulent Flow is more awesome

https://youtu.be/5zI9sG3pjVU

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

SGOS

Quote from: SGOS on February 05, 2022, 06:41:53 AM
Airplanes and sailboats!  In the movie, Wind, with Jennifer Grey and Mathew Modine, they are building a sailboat to compete against the Australians in the America's Cup.  There are a lot of physics shared by planes and boats.  Jennifer Grey in her spare time, has built a cool little toy airplane out of gossamer and balsa wood that almost magically floats on the air, and when one expert asks how she did it, she said something about having to "get the Reynold's Numbers right."  That sounded appropriately "techy" and worked well in creating her character, but I never knew what Reynold's Numbers were.  Now I know.  Thanks.   

PopeyesPappy

Destin Sandlin, the laminar flow guy, is a local. I pass by the Davidson Center which is the place with all the space stuff he was at right after the first pool segment everyday on my way to work.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

drunkenshoe

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on February 05, 2022, 09:45:41 AM
Destin Sandlin, the laminar flow guy, is a local. I pass by the Davidson Center which is the place with all the space stuff he was at right after the first pool segment everyday on my way to work.

That guy's a gem.

If you see him, shout: "Turbulent Flow is more awesome!" :p LOL, apparently people do that.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

PopeyesPappy

In Destin's defense he is an aerospace engineer. He needs laminar flow for the stuff he does to work properly. Turbulence on the other hand is the enemy. It reduces flow, produces drag, and just makes things less efficient in general.  Stuff engineers hate on principle.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.