News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

What to do with $72,000 worth of drugs?

Started by PopeyesPappy, December 01, 2021, 08:31:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PopeyesPappy

My wife has been pretty sick for about three months. It took them 6 weeks and 2 hospital stays to diagnose her. Once they did she was prescribed a very expensive drug, Humira. She started the treatments but didn't respond well. Probably because she was too far gone before they started the treatments. Anyway, back for a third trip to the hospital where they decided on surgery. That was a week ago. She is still there but is finally beginning to improve.

They day they did the surgery I got a shipment of six doses of the Humira in the mail. Full retail cost, which we didn't pay thank the FSM, would have been about $72,000. The specialty drug store it came from won't take it back. The local free clinic isn't treating anyone who uses it so they don't want it. What the fuck do I do with it. I hate to throw it out, but that might be the only option.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Dark Lightning

You may be liable to Federal regulations if you sell a prescription drug. I can see why they won't take it back, but what a fiasco!

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: Dark Lightning on December 01, 2021, 09:27:39 PM
You may be liable to Federal regulations if you sell a prescription drug. I can see why they won't take it back, but what a fiasco!

I'm not trying to sell it. I'm trying to give it away to some charitable organization that can pass it along to someone who has a prescription but no insurance to pay for it. The local free clinic takes all kinds of prescription drugs to do things like that, but they don't have any patients on Humira who can use it. I could probably give it to the GI group that is treating her, but I wouldn't piss on those assholes if they were on fire after the way they handled this.

Docillinois

I've had a couple of patients ask me something like this and so had to find out an answer.

A local pharmacist likely would be able to advise you.

The FDA and DEA websites also have drug take back locators.  Your local police station may also be able to help point you to one. 

drunkenshoe

Maybe you should, post it on to give it away to someone who needs it? You can't be the first one, there must be online space for people to exchange medicine, help each other with stuff like this etc.

Sorry to hear all that, Pop. I hope she'll get well soon.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: Docillinois on December 01, 2021, 11:50:14 PM
I've had a couple of patients ask me something like this and so had to find out an answer.

A local pharmacist likely would be able to advise you.

The FDA and DEA websites also have drug take back locators.  Your local police station may also be able to help point you to one. 

Most of the large drug stores chains are part of the government take back program. They won't give it to anyone else though. That is a disposal program. I'd like to fond someone who can actually use it.

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: drunkenshoe on December 02, 2021, 12:52:31 AM
Maybe you should, post it on to give it away to someone who needs it? You can't be the first one, there must be online space for people to exchange medicine, help each other with stuff like this etc.

Sorry to hear all that, Pop. I hope she'll get well soon.

What is Give it away? My Google Fu is weak this morning. All I get are music videos/lyrics and decluttering self help hits.

SGOS

I would hang onto it for a year or two just in case the company decides to make a court battle out of it.  If you give it away, it takes away your option to give it back.

aitm

I would, if smart enough, set up a bogus social post somewhere and simply advertise it and see what crawls out of the hole or what shit storm it starts…then you can quietly walk away
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

Docillinois

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on December 02, 2021, 07:32:44 AM
Most of the large drug stores chains are part of the government take back program. They won't give it to anyone else though. That is a disposal program. I'd like to fond someone who can actually use it.

I mention this option not for disposal, specifically, but for obviating the possible legal consequences of a prescribed drug being directed to those unidentified on an original script, should the drug not be kept.

Good luck.

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: aitm on December 02, 2021, 08:19:51 AM
I would, if smart enough, set up a bogus social post somewhere and simply advertise it and see what crawls out of the hole or what shit storm it starts…then you can quietly walk away

Isn't that what I did here?

drunkenshoe

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on December 02, 2021, 07:34:25 AM
What is Give it away? My Google Fu is weak this morning. All I get are music videos/lyrics and decluttering self help hits.

I'm with you, I have no idea. I'm just thinking there must be people in this position and so the reversed. 
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

drunkenshoe

PopeyesPappy

I found a home for the Humira. The company I work for is owned by a small native American tribe. They have a free clinic in Oklahoma, and couple of the tribal members use the Humira so the clinic is happy to take it. The big boss is driving out there next week and will take it with him.

SGOS

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on December 02, 2021, 10:20:50 PM
I found a home for the Humira. The company I work for is owned by a small native American tribe. They have a free clinic in Oklahoma, and couple of the tribal members use the Humira so the clinic is happy to take it. The big boss is driving out there next week and will take it with him.
Great solution.  I'm assuming this is legal, or at least never enforced.