Facebook Rebranding as "META"

Started by Shiranu, October 29, 2021, 10:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/facebook-name-change-meta/

QuoteFacebook founder Mark Zuckerberg announced Thursday that the corporate name of the social media platform will change to "Meta," to emphasize its "metaverse" vision. The flagship social network will keep its name.

"From now on we are going to be Metaverse first, not Facebook," Zuckerberg said during a keynote address at the company's annual developer's conference. "I hope that people come to know the Meta brand and the future that we stand for."

Zuckerberg said the company's future will focus on building virtual reality products that connect users through a different medium. He predicted that one billion people will be on the Metaverse in the next decade.

The company describes the metaverse as a three- dimensional virtual space where users can create avatars that represent them. Zuckerberg said the new virtual reality world will allow users to play video games, watch movies, attend concerts, collaborate with colleagues, and gather with friends without leaving their living room.

He explained that "instead of being an internet that we look at, right, on our mobile phones or on our computer screens, it's an internet that we are a part of, or that we can be inside of."

Every day we stray closer and closer to a Cyberpunk nightmare.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Dark Lightning

The only reason I joined that site was to connect with classmates for a high school reunion. I delete my browser history before I log in, because they're all over it with recommendations. Fuck them, I wanted to connect with a few people. I have yet to figure out how to tighten the screws down enough so that they don't blow up the email address I used as a login.

Blackleaf

He estimates that one billion people will be able to afford and willing to buy his virtual reality set in ten years? I'll believe it when I see it. If he can somehow make virtually reality cheap and easily accessible, then yay, but I'm skeptical.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Hydra009

QuoteThe company describes the metaverse as a three-dimensional virtual space where users can create avatars that represent them.
*shadowrun intensifies*

Mermaid

*shrug* I don't really care that much.
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR

Cassia

Based on the state of the country, I am sure it will be wonderful.

drunkenshoe

Well, billions of people have become members of his site and gave all their private info 20 years ago without asking anything, so I think he counts on the same thing. I really hate that piece of shit.

I also think, people think that eventually they are going to have a virtual reality world like the one in Ready Player One. They do want it. They do want to live like that.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Blackleaf

The real reason for this rebranding probably has something to do with the recent controversies surrounding Facebook.
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

SGOS

Quote from: Blackleaf on November 01, 2021, 11:50:40 AM
The real reason for this rebranding probably has something to do with the recent controversies surrounding Facebook.
I'm thinking the same thing.  I don't know if people will buy into it, but I don't see any reason for Mark Suckerburg to do anything differently.  He's a weasel. 

GSOgymrat

Quote from: Blackleaf on November 01, 2021, 11:50:40 AM

I agree. I suspect this rebranding move has to do with antitrust (similar to how Google is a subsidiary of Alphabet), distancing the company from recent controversies, making Facebook seem future-oriented rather than the status quo, attracting younger subscribers, and creating new virtual storefronts for online sales.

Frankly, the Metaverse sounds like Second Life with VR glasses, but what do I know.