News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Nightmares

Started by Draconic Aiur, October 26, 2021, 09:56:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Draconic Aiur

So since its Hallow's week I thought we discuss something that even I as an atheist  am hesitant to talk about.

That's right it's nightmare fuel. We know it doesn't exist but the topic scares the pants off of many humans.

Watching marathon after marathon of creepy dolls, images, and true or "fictionous* stories makes the brain a bit sqeamish to the point that our minds play tricks on us or are we seeing things that we just can't explain?

I mean seriously Annabeth and certain myths like Windago scare the crap out of me and question my logic

Hydra009

I like halloween scares.  It's perfectly harmless pseudo-scary stuff that allows people to explore the darker side of life in peace and comfort.  Not unlike state parks, in a way.

Mr.Obvious

I gotta be honest, scary movies don't often scare me like they used to. I mean, don't get me wrong: the ride itself can be exillerating and awesome. But often i sit there thinking: that doesn't make sense or why did you do this stupid thing. And they don't linger anymore. Not even hereditary, which was a great scary movie, kept me from any sleep that night.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

drunkenshoe

Hereditary did give me some chills, but honestly I was expecting much worse after all that hype. At least no sleep for a night, and I'm pretty easy to scare, lol. In any case, I think it is very scary because of two things. Apparently, there are real people out there in the real world who worship that particular deity pictured in the movie. And then, think about our perception of the world in general when they made this movie, in 2018. Just 3 years ago. And think about what we know about the world -as in people- now. :lol: Yeah, that movie has a potential of getting real. We all knew that we lived with nutjobs shoulder to shoulder, but I doubt if anyone guessed the real picture which came out when put under the 'stress' called global pandemic. The madness is going in a religious way, and they want to get creative because it is not enough any more. Nothing is enough.
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Blackleaf

I'm confused. Are we supposed to be talking nightmares, nightmare fuel, both?
"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Mike Cl

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on October 26, 2021, 09:56:00 PM
So since its Hallow's week I thought we discuss something that even I as an atheist  am hesitant to talk about.

That's right it's nightmare fuel. We know it doesn't exist but the topic scares the pants off of many humans.

Watching marathon after marathon of creepy dolls, images, and true or "fictionous* stories makes the brain a bit sqeamish to the point that our minds play tricks on us or are we seeing things that we just can't explain?

I mean seriously Annabeth and certain myths like Windago scare the crap out of me and question my logic
I have learned to simply not watch scary/horror movies.  I also don't watch Old Yeller type movies, either.  Why?  Because I don't like them and find much of the content upsetting.  The Old Yeller type of movies (Hutch, for example) are more likely to give me nightmares than the scary ones, but I don't like either one and find doing something else better for me.  Sort of like not watching the news any more.  I have learned to screen myself from what I consider upsetting or crap. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cassia

As for the news I agree with Mike. I am done except for pure business news or PBS/BBC.... and news-related documentaries. Also done with the Facebook and Twitter sewers as well. I have been turning off all the yahoo news feeds just to get to my email.

I rarely have nightmares. Maybe a random semi-happy dream just before I wake up...or maybe I am
actually partly awake already. I do prefer spooky movies to realistic slasher/gore movies.
It is really difficult to find entertainment without shootings every 2 minutes. It is almost like it is normal. Oh yeah, sorry, it is normal. GO USA !

Mike Cl

I used to really like Criminal Minds, and I do like the cast.  But the every episode of a woman/girl being raped with the graphic scenes thrown in, or the abuse of a child or two, has me not watching the show any more. 
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

SGOS

Quote from: Mike Cl on October 30, 2021, 02:34:26 PM
I used to really like Criminal Minds, and I do like the cast.  But the every episode of a woman/girl being raped with the graphic scenes thrown in, or the abuse of a child or two, has me not watching the show any more. 
I'm watching the disks right now, but I can only take so much graphic violence at once, so I'm not doing my usual binge watching.  I'm in season two, and the stories do command my attention.

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on October 31, 2021, 06:40:19 AM
I'm watching the disks right now, but I can only take so much graphic violence at once, so I'm not doing my usual binge watching.  I'm in season two, and the stories do command my attention.
The writing is good, the way they solve the cases is good, the cast is good; it's just the graphic violence that has done it for me. 

Mr.Obvious

We watched midsommar on Halloween.
It wasn't bad, but sometimes a tad too goofy to be really scary. I expected more.
"If we have to go down, we go down together!"
- Your mum, last night, requesting 69.

Atheist Mantis does not pray.

Docillinois

I was way into scary, nightmare fuel movies during the teen years.

A couple of military deployments later and all "scary" movies became, and yet become, corny vehicles of pretense.  All of them. 

As DeMille stated, horror is a feeling that cannot last long; human nature is incapable of supporting it.

GSOgymrat

I haven't had nightmares since I was a child. When a was around six years old I had recurring bad dreams of being paralyzed, such as falling to the floor and being unable to move.

I don't like horror or gore. I avoid television shows and movies that I know will be too violent.