News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

New Windows 11 Laptop

Started by PopeyesPappy, October 21, 2021, 07:26:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PopeyesPappy

The W key on my old, circa 2012, laptop laptop crapped out. I tried cleaning everything, but it didn't help. It was only working about 20% of the time. Kind of annoying. Anyway, I was in Sam's to pickup some paper towels on Sunday and stopped to see what kind of laptops they they had. A $580 HP 17-by followed me home. At the end of the setup it asked if I wanted to upgrade to Windows 11 so here I am. So far so good.

I'm a little peeved at HP right now though. The laptop in question came with 256 GB NVME drive a 8 GB of RAM. According to HP a separate SSD is optional. So I ordered 16 GB of memory and a 1 TB 7mm SSD. The parts showed up in the mail today so I opened her up, got the memory installed, but the place on the motherboard where the connector for the SSD should be is blank. There is a spot for it but no connector. Bastards. I guess I'll send the SSD back and and buy a bigger NVME drive.

Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

SGOS

Oh, you want a connector?  We will sell you one of those too, no problem, just send us the money.  Sounds like they are learning from the automobile dealerships.

Gawdzilla Sama

To be fair the orders didn't have a red flag, "must work with this computer", right?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

aitm

I’m still using 7 pro….yeah…I’m on borrowed time.
A humans desire to live is exceeded only by their willingness to die for another. Even god cannot equal this magnificent sacrifice. No god has the right to judge them.-first tenant of the Panotheust

the_antithesis

You sure the ribbon wasn't in the box? I just upgraded and it was for mine. A new laptop is nice. Minecraft is like a whole, new game. Oh god, so much Minecraft.

Cassia

Looking at an all-in-one HP Win 11 machine for music production. 27" touch, 16G RAM, 2 big drives, Intel 11th gen for around $1K. Never paid more than half that before.

Music software has become intense, almost like gaming. Now I have to render the audio from a synthesizer and use that in my project because the old girl cannot keep all these software synths running simultaneously. There is this big push to go back to analog synthesizer hardware, but I grew up on them, no thanks. They can be emulated. I am so excited, even bought at a new L-shaped desk/workstation

Gawdzilla Sama

I have two 27" monitors on my desk. Rationalization was my eyes are bad and I need the pixels. Truth is I have see over that damn cat.

We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

Gawdzilla Sama

Also, you broke my heart. I read your post as a 27" laptop. Hell yeah! Much sadness.
PZ Myers

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: the_antithesis on November 25, 2021, 12:04:03 AM
You sure the ribbon wasn't in the box? I just upgraded and it was for mine. A new laptop is nice. Minecraft is like a whole, new game. Oh god, so much Minecraft.

It wasn't the cable that was missing. There is no connector on the motherboard to plug a cable in. Just a blank spot where the connector should be.

Jason Harvestdancer

The part I'm curious about is the "Windows 11".  Tell us about it.

I have found that in general, every other version of Windows is good.

They released 95, debugged it, then released 98.
They released 2000, debugged it, then released XP.
They released Vista, debugged it, then released 7.
They released 8, debugged the HELL out of it, then released 10.

So now we're at 11.  It it a "95, 2000, Vista, 8" or is it a "98, XP, 7, 10"?
White privilege is being a lifelong racist, then being sent to the White House twice because your running mate is a minority.<br /><br />No Biden, no KKK, no Fascist USA!

Gawdzilla Sama

I don't know about others systems, but 11 wants you to put everything in their information bucket. I doubt the wisdom of that.
PZ Myers

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: Jason Harvestdancer on December 28, 2021, 07:39:27 PM
The part I'm curious about is the "Windows 11".  Tell us about it.

I have found that in general, every other version of Windows is good.

They released 2000, debugged it, then released XP.
They released Vista, debugged it, then released 7.
They released 8, debugged the HELL out of it, then released 10.

So now we're at 11.  It it a "95, 2000, Vista, 8" or is it a "98, XP, 7, 10"?

There's not much to tell. To date I have found it to be stable, fast, and practically no learning curve from 10. We are still running 10 at work so I go back and forth daily between 10 and 11 without having to think about it. The start menu has changed but not enough that it gave me any issues figuring it out. The task bar moved from the left to the center.

So far I would put it in the same category as 7 and 10, and I've been using Widows since 2.0.

the_antithesis

Quote from: Jason Harvestdancer on December 28, 2021, 07:39:27 PM

That's funny. I was watching a video and they said the opposite, in regards to which was better, 95 or 98. I just find that funny.