News:

Welcome to our site!

Main Menu

Worker Shortages

Started by SGOS, October 20, 2021, 06:01:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SGOS

I've been surprised by the stores and restaurants that have closed.  One of my local favorites was a steak house that was always crowded, even during the pandemic.  It just closed about a month ago, even the huge sign is gone, and they aren't coming back.  I wondered because they were always so busy.  Usually, there were maybe 10 or so waitresses, along with busboys, and cooks, and dishwashers.  I could usually find a table, but there was usually only one or two empty.  A NYT article just talked about the slow economic recovery due to worker shortages.

What I've noticed is that small mom and pop places that are family owned and staffed have made it through, while ones that I thought of as institutions are gone.  Family operated businesses probably take care of their own better than the big institutions than need to hire outside help, perhaps because their business is dependent on volume.  It's interesting to speculate about this.

Cassia

I miss going to pubs and tiki grills, playing live music, and the sound of clanging plates and laughter. Then I pop over to https://www.sorryantivaxxer.com/ and I am good again. It will end someday and i'd prefer to be alive when it does. And the good news is that we all know the dead freedom fighters will now vote for democrats.

PopeyesPappy

There is an interesting article making the rounds on the Internet today about a guy in Florida that applied to 60 job openings in 30 days. It's worth the short read.

https://www.businessinsider.com/worker-applied-to-60-jobs-got-one-interview-labor-shortage-2021-10

Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

SGOS

Quote from: PopeyesPappy on October 20, 2021, 11:54:18 PM
There is an interesting article making the rounds on the Internet today about a guy in Florida that applied to 60 job openings in 30 days.
There's lots of things that are hard to believe about what's really happening, but then it's hard to believe much of anything anymore.  Businesses that seem to have been doing well are shutting down around here, although no reasons are given for why.  It's hard to believe there is a shortage of workers in such a scenario, especially here where everyone acts like they don't care about the pandemic.  I bought a coke at a Hardee's drive through that was closed in the afternoon, because (as reported by the girl in the window) they can't find help to keep the eating area open.  It's hard to believe people could still be living off of a 6month old stimulus check for $1200.

Somethings afoot, and I don't know what it is.

Mike Cl

Quote from: SGOS on October 21, 2021, 07:01:52 AM
There's lots of things that are hard to believe about what's really happening, but then it's hard to believe much of anything anymore.  Businesses that seem to have been doing well are shutting down around here, although no reasons are given for why.  It's hard to believe there is a shortage of workers in such a scenario, especially here where everyone acts like they don't care about the pandemic.  I bought a coke at a Hardee's drive through that was closed in the afternoon, because (as reported by the girl in the window) they can't find help to keep the eating area open.  It's hard to believe people could still be living off of a 6month old stimulus check for $1200.

I have the same feeling--something is afoot.  This is farfetched, but in this climate anything is possible.  With the DOJ apparently following a hands off approach to investigating Trump, which  encourages he and his base, is violence just inches away?  Could a civil war like approach be close?  Is that possible?  Is it reasonable?  No.  But then, my reasonable thoughts and ideas have been out of vogue for years now.  But something is afoot and I don't know what it is either.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Cassia

Quote from: SGOS on October 21, 2021, 07:01:52 AM

Just anecdotal at this point but I think many young people are delaying the traditional marriage/kids/job/mortgage lifestyle. Maybe forever. Youtube blogging, living in vans, couch surfing, living in a boat restore project, diamond hands stock gambling, basement dwelling in Mom's house...stuff like that. Doing the odd gig for money.

PopeyesPappy

Quote from: Cassia on October 21, 2021, 09:34:42 AM
Just anecdotal at this point but I think many young people are delaying the traditional marriage/kids/job/mortgage lifestyle. Maybe forever. Youtube blogging, living in vans, couch surfing, living in a boat restore project, diamond hands stock gambling, basement dwelling in Mom's house...stuff like that. Doing the odd gig for money.

A lot of that has been going on forever. I know two people that did the living in a boat restore project, and just don't know that many people.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Shiranu

Funny enough this is one political topic I don't feel like I know enough to even give an opinion on even though I'm currently one of the people currently unemployed.

For me, I'm just trying to hold out as long as I can to force the employers to raise wages even further or provide benefits. The extra unemployment  money I had gotten is still getting me through thanks to living with family, but it is about to go under 10k and at that point I need to start looking for work again. Trying to hold on till at least after the new year.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

SGOS

Quote from: Shiranu on October 22, 2021, 11:32:33 PM
Funny enough this is one political topic I don't feel like I know enough to even give an opinion on even though I'm currently one of the people currently unemployed.
Actually, you are probably better qualified to explain the situation than most people.  Do you know other people your age doing the same thing?

Shiranu

Quote from: SGOS on October 23, 2021, 06:03:33 AM
Actually, you are probably better qualified to explain the situation than most people.  Do you know other people your age doing the same thing?

Everyone I know just continued working through the pandemic because they had to if they wanted to pay rent, I don't think I know anyone else who quit. I had the benefit of having already saved up a decent amount of money and living with my grandmother which let me afford to do so, but it also meant I had to leave my job because of her age and pre-existing conditions.

Out of the 20 odd people I keep some sort of social media connection with, the closest I can think of is 2 or 3 who started working from home.

I honestly don't know who is still unemployed at this point, because I feel like the overwhelming majority of people have to pay rent to landlords + student loans.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

SGOS

Quote from: Shiranu on October 23, 2021, 06:48:23 PM
I honestly don't know who is still unemployed at this point, because I feel like the overwhelming majority of people have to pay rent to landlords + student loans.
There anecdotal evidence I collect, the less I understand what's happening.  And none of what the "knowledgeable" authorities offer seems to fully explain the situation.  I'm starting to think no one actually understands it.

Cassia

Interestingly, in my family it is the young males who seem to have low aspirations career-wise. Most in their 20s and early 30s working entry level positions, 1/2 of a college degree, no steady relationships, lots of weed and video games. They seem happy and really, that is the main thing. There will be social consequences...but we all adapt.

PS. I remember when many corps. were very loyal to their employees...pensions and other prizes to slug it out for decades...IBM famously would move you around the country to keep you employed (I. B.een M.oved). If they did have to axe you, it was with a 6 figure severance deal. These jobs were cherished and damn..we  really overworked ourselves. I worked several xmas days, not that I really minded. Not big on most of the PITA super fake xmas activities.

SGOS

Quote from: Cassia on October 24, 2021, 08:01:42 AM
Interestingly, in my family it is the young males who seem to have low aspirations career-wise. Most in their 20s and early 30s working entry level positions, 1/2 of a college degree, no steady relationships, lots of weed and video games. They seem happy and really, that is the main thing. There will be social consequences...but we all adapt.

PS. I remember when many corps. were very loyal to their employees...pensions and other prizes to slug it out for decades...IBM famously would move you around the country to keep you employed (I. B.een M.oved). If they did have to axe you, it was with a 6 figure severance deal. These jobs were cherished and damn..we  really overworked ourselves. I worked several xmas days, not that I really minded. Not big on most of the PITA super fake xmas activities.

My brother-in-law in Chicago seems to be noticing the same thing about the younger generation.  What he describes sounds laid back, not exactly what I would call lazy.  It's more like a re-evaluation of priorities.  But being pre Baby Boomer, I don't know that this will solve the problem of spiraling costs of living.  It's true, we don't need as much as we think, but we do need many of the basics to be content.... or maybe not?

But there is one thing not so philosophical.  The fact is that jobs are not in abundance as when I grew up.  I was never out of a job for more than two days if I wanted one.  This younger generation doesn't have this to look forward to... or maybe not..., so if they are to be content, they will have to handle that reality without getting worried.  I don't know if this is good or bad.  Many people don't worry about climate change, and as a result nothing is being done about it.  Many people refuse to take action in a pandemic, but both climate and covid are eventual realities.  Maybe doing something about any reality is just too much work.

Hydra009

Quote from: Cassia on October 24, 2021, 07:50:41 AM
I'd be interested in a similar graph of how long the average company stays afloat before being shuttered.