Cheeto candidate's plan for slowing sea level rise: take boats out of the water

Started by Hydra009, October 13, 2021, 09:56:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydra009

Troll science trying to Trump real science

First off, the world's oceans are big.  Like really big.  You won't believe how vastly, mind-boggling big they are.  Ships - not so much.  Sure, a 50ft yacht sounds big, but its displacement is just peanuts compared to the breadth and depth of oceans.  You know what's waaay bigger than boats?  Glaciers.  Tundra.  Antarctica.

Secondly, for obvious reasons, cold stuff is smaller than warm stuff.  I won't get into the math, just fill up a cup with ice and leave it out overnight if you're curious.

Basically, this guy is a lunatic who shouldn't be eligible to run for student body president, let alone serious political office.

Shiranu

Quote from: Hydra009 on October 13, 2021, 09:56:42 PM
Troll science trying to Trump real science

First off, the world's oceans are big.  Like really big.  You won't believe how vastly, mind-boggling big they are.  Ships - not so much.  Sure, a 50ft yacht sounds big, but its displacement is just peanuts compared to the breadth and depth of oceans.  You know what's waaay bigger than boats?  Glaciers.  Tundra.  Antarctica.

Secondly, for obvious reasons, cold stuff is smaller than warm stuff.  I won't get into the math, just fill up a cup with ice and leave it out overnight if you're curious.

Basically, this guy is a lunatic who shouldn't be eligible to run for student body president, let alone serious political office.

Ah-ha! If we get rid of tundra and Antartica, the sea level will go down then! We could also put New Zealand on Australia as well.

Checkmate, hippies.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

It bothers me that someone who legit thinks global warming could be fixed in such infantile, simplistic ways could plausibly be convinced that the continents and islands rest on top of the water like gigantic rafts.

Dark Lightning

One of my sons was talking about how a US Senator was being briefed about the landing of many aircraft on Guam for some military activity, and asked if the added weight wouldn't cause it to tip over. I guess by the time one makes it to General in the USAF, they've pretty much heard it all, because the general replied, "We don't anticipate that that will be a problem". The cheeto's  hench(wo)men could share adjacent cells, I'm hoping.

Gawdzilla Sama

Quote from: Hydra009 on October 13, 2021, 10:21:14 PM
It bothers me that someone who legit thinks global warming could be fixed in such infantile, simplistic ways could plausibly be convinced that the continents and islands rest on top of the water like gigantic rafts.
Why do you think he actually believes that shit?
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers

SGOS

When I hauled my boat out of the water to paint the bottom, the surrounding water would rush into the hole left by my boat, and the hole would fill up.  There was a net increase in the water coming into the hole, and a decrease in the water flowing out.  But did you ever watch land lubbers standing on the shore, throwing rocks in the water?  It's like a land lubber obsession, and they need to stop doing that, because not only does it raise the water level; It also lowers the land level.  In the end, it makes no difference if you raise the water level or lower the land.  Both have the same devastating effect.  We should just scoop the mud and rocks from the bottom of the ocean, and put it on the land.  This would be the most sensible approach to global warming.  It's a two pronged strategy of lowering and raising at the same time.  Now granted all that mud and rocks on the Miami beach front would be a mess for the condo owners, so we would have to bury the mud and the rocks so it's out of sight.  This Republican guy has the right idea.  He's just not taking it far enough.

SGOS

Before we jump out of the bathtub and go running down the street naked yelling "Eureka!  I've found it," we should form a committee and draw in some scientists so that we can gain some credibility.  Just make sure we get the right scientists who won't get all caught up in the mostly emotional math involved.

Cassia

How does this guy get himself dressed in the morning? Tie his shoes? Maybe he wears slip-ons. I have slyly questioned some of the 20 somethings in our families to see where their education is lacking. It seems very basic science, math and geography eludes most of them. Did the same thing with a "science teacher" who gets paid at a Christian school. I met her at a tiki bar on a fine afternoon. She was scientifically illiterate.

Blackleaf

"Oh, wearisome condition of humanity,
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity,
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
--Fulke Greville--

Cassia

Quote from: Blackleaf on October 14, 2021, 12:59:45 PM
This has to be a joke. No one is this stupid.
It is almost on par with 5G microchiped vaccines, Obama not being born in the US, dead people rising, flat earth, hollow moon, burning bush, using nukes to stop hurricanes, homeopathy inhaling peroxide, cleansing of lepers, and the "end of days" every three months or so. At least there was no mention of boats being libtard instruments of destruction. 

PopeyesPappy

I learned something from this thread today. After some quick googling, about 2 billion deadweight tons, and some rough math, I came up with .0003 mm change in sea level if we pulled all the ships out of the ocean. Probably wrong, but that's not the point.

The point is I always wondered how they calculated displacement in tons. Turns out it was a lot simpler than I ever imagined. 1 cubic meter = 1,000 tons. I probably knew that at some point in the past just never applied it to this problem. But 1 cubic meter of displacement = 1,000 tons of displacement makes the math a lot easier than I wanted it to be.
Save a life. Adopt a Greyhound.

Dark Lightning

I was talking with my wife about this, and I told her that they aren't wrong, but that the level change wouldn't be enough to worry about.

Mermaid

Quote from: Blackleaf on October 14, 2021, 12:59:45 PM
This has to be a joke. No one is this stupid.
Is it more stupid than a crowd gathering in Deal Plaza to await JFK Jr's big announcement that Trump has taken his rightful place in the Oval Office? And then when that didn't happen, announcing that Keef would make the anouncement later that night at the Stones concert?
A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticise work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life’s realities â€" all these are marks, not as the possessor would fain to think, of superiority but of weakness. -TR