Humanities Section > Political/Government General Discussion

California Requires Stores to Provide "Non-Gendered" Toy Section

(1/3) > >>

Shiranu:
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/california-gov-gavin-newsom-signs-bill-requiring-large-retailers-to-provide-gender-neutral-toy-sections-by-2024/ar-AAPmdcP?ocid=uxbndlbing

--- Quote ---A new law in California requires large retailers who sell toys and childcare products in the state to offer a gender-neutral section in their stores.

The law was authored by state Assemblymember Evan Low and applies to companies with 500 or more employees in the state, such as Target, Walmart, or Macy's, while small independent shops would be exempt.

According to the text of the law, a retailer may offer separate sections for girls and boys, but it must provide a "reasonable selection of the items and toys for children that it sells" in a non-gendered section. The rule goes into effect on January 1, 2024, and stores that fail to comply could be fined up to $250 for a first violation and $500 for all subsequent violations.

Low told the AP the law was inspired by the 10-year-old daughter of one of his staffers who asked her mother why certain items were "off limits" for girls but acceptable for boys.
--- End quote ---

So instead of having parents teach their children to not give a shit what people think about them for buying a toy, the "better" solution is to just have the state come in and exert more control over stores... and of course in doing so, you really only create a system that actually further engrains the idea that there are "male" & "female" toys.

Good job, California. Good job. This is peak performative activism; fail to understand the actual issue, force moronic laws on people, and at the end of the day actually make the very thing you were fighting against worse because of how little you understood it.

Hydra009:
Next on Fox News:  Liebraul Dystopia California tries to radically engineer America's beloved toy stores.  Even a local liberal is disgusted, decrying state control over stores.  When will the totalitarianism end??

Shiranu:

--- Quote from: Hydra009 on October 11, 2021, 07:42:36 PM ---Next on Fox News:  Liebraul Dystopia California tries to radically engineer America's beloved toy stores.  Even a local liberal is disgusted, decrying state control over stores.  When will the totalitarianism end??

--- End quote ---

Yep. This is literally just giving ammunition to the idiots who will turn this into something far worse than it is (stupid, but not malicious).

That said, I will agree with them that the state doesn't have any right to do this and shouldn't have any right to do this; I just differ because if it was a GOP state saying that stores MUST have gender-segregated isles I would disagree with that shit too while they would praise them for it.

SGOS:
How about stores that only sell toys for one gender?  Suppose they put dolls in the boys store?  Suppose a girl wanted a firetruck and her friends saw her going into the boy's store?  Let's make this complicated.

I knew a teacher who wanted to buy a Cadillac, but the dealership said they would only sell him a Chevrolet because teachers don't drive a Cadillac.  That was only something I was told by a third party, although they did specify the dealership and the teacher by name, so I'm thinking it was true.

drunkenshoe:
Shir, you still have ho─▒pe in humanity. Teaching parents not to care about others' opinions on the toys they buy for their children is not doable. It's how you get there. After a tipping point yeah, but not in this climate.   

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version