California Requires Stores to Provide "Non-Gendered" Toy Section

Started by Shiranu, October 11, 2021, 02:08:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shiranu

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/california-gov-gavin-newsom-signs-bill-requiring-large-retailers-to-provide-gender-neutral-toy-sections-by-2024/ar-AAPmdcP?ocid=uxbndlbing

QuoteA new law in California requires large retailers who sell toys and childcare products in the state to offer a gender-neutral section in their stores.

The law was authored by state Assemblymember Evan Low and applies to companies with 500 or more employees in the state, such as Target, Walmart, or Macy's, while small independent shops would be exempt.

According to the text of the law, a retailer may offer separate sections for girls and boys, but it must provide a "reasonable selection of the items and toys for children that it sells" in a non-gendered section. The rule goes into effect on January 1, 2024, and stores that fail to comply could be fined up to $250 for a first violation and $500 for all subsequent violations.

Low told the AP the law was inspired by the 10-year-old daughter of one of his staffers who asked her mother why certain items were "off limits" for girls but acceptable for boys.

So instead of having parents teach their children to not give a shit what people think about them for buying a toy, the "better" solution is to just have the state come in and exert more control over stores... and of course in doing so, you really only create a system that actually further engrains the idea that there are "male" & "female" toys.

Good job, California. Good job. This is peak performative activism; fail to understand the actual issue, force moronic laws on people, and at the end of the day actually make the very thing you were fighting against worse because of how little you understood it.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

Hydra009

Next on Fox News:  Liebraul Dystopia California tries to radically engineer America's beloved toy stores.  Even a local liberal is disgusted, decrying state control over stores.  When will the totalitarianism end??

Shiranu

Quote from: Hydra009 on October 11, 2021, 07:42:36 PM
Next on Fox News:  Liebraul Dystopia California tries to radically engineer America's beloved toy stores.  Even a local liberal is disgusted, decrying state control over stores.  When will the totalitarianism end??

Yep. This is literally just giving ammunition to the idiots who will turn this into something far worse than it is (stupid, but not malicious).

That said, I will agree with them that the state doesn't have any right to do this and shouldn't have any right to do this; I just differ because if it was a GOP state saying that stores MUST have gender-segregated isles I would disagree with that shit too while they would praise them for it.
"A little science distances you from God, but a lot of science brings you nearer to Him." - Louis Pasteur

SGOS

How about stores that only sell toys for one gender?  Suppose they put dolls in the boys store?  Suppose a girl wanted a firetruck and her friends saw her going into the boy's store?  Let's make this complicated.

I knew a teacher who wanted to buy a Cadillac, but the dealership said they would only sell him a Chevrolet because teachers don't drive a Cadillac.  That was only something I was told by a third party, although they did specify the dealership and the teacher by name, so I'm thinking it was true.

drunkenshoe

Shir, you still have hoıpe in humanity. Teaching parents not to care about others' opinions on the toys they buy for their children is not doable. It's how you get there. After a tipping point yeah, but not in this climate.   
"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

Shiranu

Quote from: drunkenshoe on October 17, 2021, 01:28:12 AM
Shir, you still have hoıpe in humanity. Teaching parents not to care about others' opinions on the toys they buy for their children is not doable. It's how you get there. After a tipping point yeah, but not in this climate.   

Ide like to think I've given up on hope and am now just sitting in the back laughing at them, but you're probably right.

It's just... it's one thing to be pissed off about it, and another to ask the government to do something about it. Everyone expects the government to be some savior for all our problems when 99% of the problems are either directly caused by or directly made worse by the government.

Hydra009

Well, there has been some softening of traditionalist attitudes, otherwise this wouldn't be an issue at all.  But like a lot of social change, I expect entrenched attitudes to linger for decades to come.

drunkenshoe

^ I agree with this. (I haven't read it all though.)

According to my observations with my own culture, 'problems' start when boys are steered towards girls' toys.

"science is not about building a body of known 'facts'. ıt is a method for asking awkward questions and subjecting them to a reality-check, thus avoiding the human tendency to believe whatever makes us feel good." - tp

SoldierofFortune

According to my observation, I do not know whether the reason is because of childrens inner instict,

Girls tend to play with barbies, boys tend to play toy trucks.

Try and see it, dont give direction to him or her, and make feel free to choose between barbie and truck.

Hydra009

Quote from: drunkenshoe on October 17, 2021, 11:12:40 AMAccording to my observations with my own culture, 'problems' start when boys are steered towards girls' toys.
I actually feel really bad about girls' toys.  Lots of pink princess stuff, dolls, cooking stuff, makeup stuff.  Did I miss anything?

As a young boy, I got to play with a space shuttle that transformed into a friggin' dragon, dinosaurs with laser guns strapped to their heads, and whatever the hell Cootie is.

Mike Cl

Forty+ years ago I was raising a daughter.  I had a couple of things firmly in mind.  I'd not spank.  I'd let her pursue what interested her.  I made sure I attacked the Twiggy image of womanhood and body shape.  My goal was to support her no matter what she chose as interests.  Oh, and I read to her every night with no exceptions.  I did not, and do not care, if she wanted boys toys or girl toys--or activities.  And I did not make promises.  But if I used that word, then I was self bound to do what I said I would.  Consistency is really the key.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

drunkenshoe

Quote from: Hydra009 on October 18, 2021, 12:07:47 AM
I actually feel really bad about girls' toys.  Lots of pink princess stuff, dolls, cooking stuff, makeup stuff.  Did I miss anything?

As a young boy, I got to play with a space shuttle that transformed into a friggin' dragon, dinosaurs with laser guns strapped to their heads, and whatever the hell Cootie is.

Me too. But then we have played with mud outside most of the time. We stole tomatoes, nuts, green plums, cherries... But it's terrible now for the most of them. I've tried gift shopping a few times in the last 5 years or so. There is this huge wall of pink in every store, a specific kind of pink. The barbie pink and others. You know what, cooking and washing stuff is actually innocent.The problem is little girls are crazy for pink coloured stuff, sparkling everything and most of them don't even see any other colour. If you think that kind of marketing works on adults... They don't even see the other toys. Do they make a pink or sparkling space shuttle. Probably. I dunno... but does it matter at this point? It's again in parents' hands. They should invest serious time. Do they have that time? If they play with specific toys with kids, maybe they'll accept them differently.

Not the toys, but I still have my star Wars lunch box and small thermos... it must be 35+ years old.

Draconic Aiur

I believe in the power of humanity's stupidity. The pandemic showed it perfectly.