Is it wrong to tell Christians what's wrong with their religion?

Started by Jagella, October 07, 2021, 08:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PickelledEggs

Quote from: Jagella on October 23, 2021, 10:45:53 PM
Hi Mr. Maturity. Did you thank the kids on the playground for telling you what mean name to call me? In any case, I see there's no activity in this subsection. It's really boring for atheists to sit around telling each other there's no God.

Yawn!

[Mod] Thanks for asking me to ban you.[/mod]

Greatest I am

Quote from: Jagella on October 07, 2021, 08:29:19 PM
I've been banned many times from Christian-sponsored forums due to my scathing critiques of Christianity in those forums. The Christians there complained bitterly about what I was saying although all of it was true and I think well-reasoned.

Is it wrong to criticize Christians regarding their beliefs? Generally I think not except in cases where the criticism constitutes harassment.

I think it would be wrong not to, if speaking to moral issues.

It is a moral person's duty to correct poor thinking.

We would likely still be living in tree and caves if we did not correct each other and force society to fly right.

I follow this biblical thinking

Proverbs 3:12 For whom the Lord loveth he correcteth; even as a father the son in whom he delighteth.

Atheists, having the moral high ground, should be shining upon the religious in the low ground.

It is the duty of atheist to be more militant and fight the homophobia and misogyny that religions target your family and friends with.

Your atheist churches are a good start, but duty demand more.

Regards
DL

Hydra009

Quote from: Greatest I am on November 28, 2021, 04:02:03 PMAtheists, having the moral high ground, should be shining upon the religious in the low ground.
Ehhh...how about we all meet together in the middle ground?

QuoteYour atheist churches are a good start, but duty demand more.
I don't know what you're referring to, and atheist churches are already a pretty controversial thing.  At best, they're a place of fellowship and community for people who really want that without the religious aspect of churches.  But they can also rub people the wrong way for obvious reasons.

Draconic Aiur

Apparently the fact that you exist as an atheist is wrong to Christians and you should never tell anyone your an atheist because your very existence is a threat to Christianity views.

When your family says that to your face.

Greatest I am

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 28, 2021, 04:59:44 PM
Ehhh...how about we all meet together in the middle ground?
I don't know what you're referring to, and atheist churches are already a pretty controversial thing.  At best, they're a place of fellowship and community for people who really want that without the religious aspect of churches.  But they can also rub people the wrong way for obvious reasons.

I know of no middle ground for supernatural belief and non-supernatural belief, except for Gnostic Christianity.

I only say that last because I know it leads to a better morality than both sides.

I also know of no middle ground for homophobia and misogyny, religious staples.

I hope you can prove me wrong on both of those my friend. I love to learn of my mistakes, if mistakes.

Few are willing to be esoteric ecumenists and naturalists. Few recognize reality, yet all are cock sure that their reality is the right one.

In terms of ideas, -----
https://www.google.ca/search?q=everybody+wants+to+rule+the+world&sxsrf=AOaemvI6ve6BzHAbQpZOaOZr1Lu6pme9Ug%3A1638138956906&source=hp&ei=TASkYZPvNIfbrgSi1aToBw&iflsig=ALs-wAMAAAAAYaQSXN5FUZF5AP8m6SKMTeD9_DC9P_BD&gs_ssp=eJzj4tFP1zcsNM3KzirLsDBg9FJMLUstqkzKT6lUKE_MKylWKMlXKCrNSVUoyUhVKM8vykkBAJ7-EU4&oq=everybody&gs_lcp=Cgdnd3Mtd2l6EAEYADIECC4QJzILCC4QgAQQsQMQgwEyBQguEIAEMgsILhCABBCxAxCDATIFCAAQgAQyBQgAEIAEMggILhCABBCxAzIICC4QgAQQsQMyCwguEIAEELEDEIMBMggILhCABBCxAzoECCMQJzoICAAQgAQQsQM6CAguELEDEIMBOhEILhCABBCxAxCDARDHARDRAzoLCC4QgAQQxwEQ0QM6DgguEIAEELEDEMcBENEDOggIABCxAxCDAToOCC4QgAQQsQMQxwEQrwFQAFjIGWDUOWgAcAB4AIABtwGIAewHkgEDNS40mAEAoAEB&sclient=gws-wiz

I see no controversy around Atheist Churches.

Can you elaborate on your last?

Regards
DL

Greatest I am

Quote from: Draconic Aiur on November 28, 2021, 05:24:44 PM
Apparently the fact that you exist as an atheist is wrong to Christians and you should never tell anyone your an atheist because your very existence is a threat to Christianity views.

When your family says that to your face.

I understand the situation but fail to see the problem.

Acknowledge that they are correct, and proceed to show them why you have taken the higher moral ground.

You owe your family the truth, that any religion that tells a family to hate one of their own for being gay, or just a second class female, has to be a satanic religion.

Step up and shine above your dim family.

It is your duty.

Regards
DL

the_antithesis

Quote from: Greatest I am on November 28, 2021, 04:02:03 PM
Fuck that.

QuoteAtheists, having the moral high ground, should be shining upon the religious in the low ground.
Fuck that, too.

QuoteIt is the duty of atheist to ...

Fuck that twice on Sundays.

Being an atheist don't mean anything except not believing this god bullshit. All of that other shit comes from other aspects, just like it does in christians. They just like to pretend otherwise.

Greatest I am

Quote from: Shiranu on October 08, 2021, 01:46:39 AM
Forums are like public halls; if you burst into Bible Study Night at the Y and started shouting "scathing critiques" at them, what do you realistically think the outcome would be?

My opinion; it's annoying as hell when people do it here, so I don't care for us doing it to them there. Live and let live.

For evil to grow, etc. trumps your live and let live.

Only immoral people will not fight against religious evils like homophobia and misogyny that effects their own family lines.

Regards
DL

Mike Cl

Quote from: Greatest I am on November 28, 2021, 04:02:03 PM
I think it would be wrong not to, if speaking to moral issues.

Your atheist churches are a good start, but duty demand more.

What 'atheist churches'????  And what are 'morals'??
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hydra009

Quote from: Greatest I am on November 28, 2021, 05:47:45 PM
I know of no middle ground for supernatural belief and non-supernatural belief
I was referring to the metaphorical moral high ground.

Mike Cl

Okay, Greatest.  This is my stance.  There are no atheist churches and never have existed.  And there are no universal morals, never was and never will be.  And the only thing atheists have in common is none believe/think god exists; at least they share the idea that there is not evidence, then or now, that demonstrates that any god or gods are real.
Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able?<br />Then he is not omnipotent,<br />Is he able but not willing?<br />Then whence cometh evil?<br />Is he neither able or willing?<br />Then why call him god?

Hydra009

Quote from: Mike Cl on November 28, 2021, 09:24:50 PM
Okay, Greatest.  This is my stance.  There are no atheist churches and never have existed.
I mean, they do exist.  So he's referring to a real thing.  It's not a particularly common thing, but it is a thing.

Mike Cl

Quote from: Hydra009 on November 28, 2021, 09:56:45 PM
I mean, they do exist.  So he's referring to a real thing.  It's not a particularly common thing, but it is a thing.
I guess.  But it is a bad idea.  Why?  Because so many people want to tell us that atheism is simply another 'ism' and just a different set of beliefs.  The title 'church' gives that impression. 

Hydra009

Quote from: Mike Cl on November 28, 2021, 11:32:59 PMI guess.  But it is a bad idea.  Why?  Because so many people want to tell us that atheism is simply another 'ism' and just a different set of beliefs.  The title 'church' gives that impression.
Precisely my objection as well.

Gawdzilla Sama

I can tell someone why their godbuddy ain't real without mentioning atheism. Lots of religions say other people's gods aren't real.
We 'new atheists' have a reputation for being militant, but make no mistake  we didn't start this war. If you want to place blame put it on the the religious zealots who have been poisoning the minds of the  young for a long long time."
PZ Myers